Retrofit Active Info Display / Virtual Cockpit

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
$100 eBay 8-inch screen arrived today. Very well packed as you could see by the 10 ft of bubble wrap hanging off my counter. Nothing of concern aesthetically. Of course my wife took the car today so I can't test it yet but I'm hopeful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My eBay special 8-inch screen works great. Proper vent surround has been ordered. I'm pumped, almost want to leave it in without the surround, haha.

gqboy

TDI
2015 Golf
So jealous of you guys who have done the MIB I to MIB II upgrade. If you know of someone in Ontario that can help, let me know. I'm too scared to do it myself... :(

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
If you're trying to save on cost by piecing it together it's a bit involved... if you're not as concerned with cost there are plug and play kits available.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
So jealous of you guys who have done the MIB I to MIB II upgrade. If you know of someone in Ontario that can help, let me know. I'm too scared to do it myself... :(
Yeah - if you have somewhere around $2000USD, you can toss it at APG in Poland and they'll have something on your doorstep within five days.

If you have stereo removal keys, the rest of the process is like 20-40 minutes of simple remove-and-replace.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Even though I have a nav unit and the 8-inch screen (still trying to source a bezel, the one I ordered was cancelled after "processing" for 3 days due to non-availability)... I stupidly found myself looking at the fully activated units from APG. The only reason is because they are discover pro and not discover media.

Based on a response to your post over on the Ross tech forum about coding... discover pro will show maps on both the AID and the main screen at the same time. I don't even have a real use for that but I want to know I can do it.

It's already too late since I have parts on the way but how are you typically using it? Ideally for me I would have navigation in the cluster with my audio app of choice on the main screen via app-connect. Is that possible?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To be honest, I haven't really ventured far enough or long enough in the car yet to really figure out what how I'm going to make use of it. Driving around home, where I know where I'm going, what the quickest way from A to be is, etc. I've just been enjoying the look so far.

We're heading to Seattle in a couple weeks, which will provide me with a much better opportunity to figure out what my use case is going to be for both longer drives (3-4 hours from here) as well as driving in unfamiliar areas.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I just want an 8" glass display (non nav) without paying $750+.

Anyone have a good hook up other than russian roulete ebay route with dead pixels stolen units?

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
What app do you use on AA to play videos like the game you have on the picture?

My eBay special 8-inch screen works great. Proper vent surround has been ordered. I'm pumped, almost want to leave it in without the surround, haha.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I just want an 8" glass display (non nav) without paying $750+.

Anyone have a good hook up other than russian roulete ebay route with dead pixels stolen units?
What's the part # for the 8" display without nav? curious in case I ever want to get a bigger screen from the 6.5". Also, do you know what the part# for the trim would be?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
The app is called Carstream. It lets you watch YouTube on Android Auto. Also requires an app called AA Phenotype Patcher which allows the app to show up as available in Android Auto. Both can be found on the XDA forums.

Part number for 8" glass screen trim (piano black only I believe) is 5G1819728AGQYI.

Part number for 8" matte screen trim (in brushed silver) is 5G1819728AFDMD. I currently have it on order from two places in Europe. It's not available from anybody here in the states as far as I can tell, says part has been discontinued. It won't be worth the money to return one of the trim pieces if both places happen to come through for me... At which point I will be selling brushed silver trim for an 8" matte screen, haha.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Almost there, did an okay job vinyl wrapping the AID bezel. I don't know how visible it will be when Tapatalk downsizes the pictures but my exacto knife should have been sharper. Should have grabbed a new one. Bezel is a pretty easy shape to wrap though which is good with it being my first time vinyl wrapping anything.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Damn - for a first attempt at vinyl wrapping, I'd say you did very well!

(You should've see my first attempt at applying 3M "Invisible Shield" to a cell phone...let's just say it was a good thing I bought the 2-for-1 deal. :D).

So - does that wrap it up (no pun intended) now? Mission completed?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Just waiting on an appointment with Jack at this point... he is going to "marry" my nav card to my new MIB II nav unit... I'm still running the 6.5 inch screen which does not have a nav button but I can select nav from the menu. Waiting on the 8 in screen surround in brushed silver... no updates from either European vendor yet though. I'm impatient so I have currently got a full black trim swap saved in a shopping cart on VWPartsVortex [emoji51]

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
So Jack is on vacation until the 2nd of June, which means my AID is on hold until sometime that week at the earliest, depending on when he is available. It's always tough catching up after a vacation so it may end up being the second week of June.

Have not heard from either of the vendors in Europe about the 8" screen trim that I have on order in brushed silver. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I may place the order for all black trim pieces, and peel off my first-ever vinyl wrap job on the AID bezel.

I'm pretty sure I read that the trim piece that runs across the passenger dash will pop out if pulled hard enough so it can be replaced. But I know door panel pieces are plastic welded in and not really replaceable. I'm concerned with how a mix of trims will look although the steering wheel and e-brake are already gloss black. If I leave the dashboard trim piece (and of course the door panels) brushed silver it would give me a semi complete beltline all the way around the inside of the car which might look okay.

Thoughts?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
So close... Battery voltage slowly dipped while Jack was doing his thing remotely. Didn't make it to the key pairing portion so I couldn't start the engine and I don't have a battery tender. Connection got flaky somewhere around 12.35V. The Erwin manuals state keep battery above 12.5 when doing any programming so this wasn't unexpected. I just never really thought about it because all my remote programming before was for the radio and could be done with the engine running.

Finally got a hold of someone at my dealer that says they can do it. Says it should only take them an hour or so. I'm dropping the car off tomorrow morning. I also have a battery tender on the way so if the dealer can't do it I've got a tentative appointment with Jack for Wednesday at 2am (my time).

I did get navigation working though, with the latest North American SD card that I could find, V5. So as soon as I get the cluster working all should be good.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Quick update on my install: With the MIB2 system in the car, I had the "Performance Monitor", but only one parameter (boost) ever worked correctly.

Since getting the Active Info Display installed and coded, though, everything is now reading correctly (boost, coolant temp, oil temp, g-forces) - so that's a nice bonus. And I can also enable the "OFFROAD" feature which provides steering angle, elevation, and a couple other parameters - and all of those work as advertised as well. :D

On the downside (unrelated to the AID): My passenger side folding mirror crapped out on me. :mad:
First significant rain drive (and really, not for very long), and it got a little flaky, and then simply refused to work. Contacted the vendor at Aliexpress and....well, do I really have to explain how well that turned out for me? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
At some point this weekend I might have to get some coding advice from you. My dash is in, only took the dealer about an hour to remove component protection and pair my keys but that's all they did. They weren't willing to do any coding at all.

I've got just about everything done in Long coding that I could do with obdeleven. I have misplaced my vcds cable so I haven't done the adaptations yet and obdeleven doesn't really give the type of detail I would like so I'm kind of careful with it.

But I have a check engine light for glow plugs. Interesting thing is that it isn't always there. On a few drives it doesn't come up and then the next time it will. Did you see this at all?

My dealer made no mention of the component protection blocks that you were talking about so I don't know if they didn't come up or if they did and my dealer cleared them. I don't have performance monitor or off road but my dash does show elevation with a little mountain inside the tachometer.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure how much you've played around with the "VIEWS", but you can get a myriad of different things inside the tach and speedometer - elevation (as you have), but then also range (distance to empty), fuel economy, compass, gear selection, etc.
Pretty sure you can add "off-road" with the long-coding in VCDS. Click on the CAR button of the display, then SETTINGS, then at lower-left, there's SELECT or SELECTION. Click on that and you might find some interesting bits. :)
Glow plug error: Funny you should mention that, because on our road trip last weekend, the CEL came on, and that was it:
Code:
1 Fault Found:

4971 - Glow Plug/Heater Indicator Circuit 
          P0381 00 [175] - Implausible Signal
          MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 6
                    Mileage: 67633 km
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 00:00:00
                    Engine speed: 0.00 /min
                    Normed load value: 0.0 %
                    Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
                    Coolant temperature: 61 ∞C
                    Intake air temperature: 58 ∞C
                    Ambient air pressure: 1020 mbar
                    Voltage terminal 30: 12.320 V
                    Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
                    Electric auxiliary heater: shut-off conditions-Bits 0-7: 0
                    Electric auxiliary heater: shut-off conditions-Bits 0-7: 0
                    Electric auxiliary heater: relay activation-Bits 0-7: 0
                    Preheat time: 0 ms
                    Glow status-Bits 0-7: 0
                    Glow status-Bits 0-7: 0
                    Glow cycles above temperature threshold-Bits 0-7: 3
                    Glow cycles above temperature threshold-Bits 0-7: 184
                    Glow cycles below temperature threshold-Bits 0-7: 0
                    Glow cycles below temperature threshold-Bits 0-7: 1
                    Extern.temp.sens.1 bank 1: raw value: 23.5 ∞C
--------------------------------------------------
Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0
23.5C (around 78F) and coolant at 61C (~140F) - so, no reason for the glow plugs to come on.
I checked again later in the trip while I was wrestling with the folding mirror issue, and the code didn't come back, so....????
I do remember when the tech at VW was doing the setup, that the "Glow Plug Indicator" was a persistent error message in ODIS. So...maybe the display is looking for a hard-wired glow plug "dummy light" that's not there(?). Really just guessing at it here.
When you get VCDS up and running, can you see what you have coded as your fuel tank capacity? It's somewhere in the long-coding. I changed mine from what it was originally because it seemed to way underestimate my distance to empty. But now, I think the one I chose is a little too optimistic (750km of range on ¾ of a tank)

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Found my VCDS cable, hopefully get a chance to mess with it sometime this evening. Went to dinner and a show last night... no CEL for the glow plugs. I had the CEL going to/from work and to/from lunch while at work. I'm in Los Angeles and I've only had the glow plug light come on a couple times this past "winter" when the car had sat in the garage for a few days. Otherwise I never saw it.

I'll post up a full long-coding and adaptation map of my original dash along with the same for digital once I get a chance to connect VCDS. I chose fuel tank "Version 2" in long coding which gave me a fuel indication and estimated range that matched what my dash was showing when I dropped it off at the dealer. I don't know what capacity "Version 2" actually means though.

The thing I don't like about obdeleven is that I can't tell what bytes I'm changing. It does give you descriptions of the options in coding (which is probably the selling point) but I prefer VCDS. I also find obdeleven useless for anything to do with adaptations.

I also have a code for "module incorrectly coded" or something to that effect (have a similar code for my MIB II in 5F). Hopefully I can find out what's causing them. They only show up in scans and everything does work. But I would LOVE a fault free scan on this combination of retrofits (means I have to figure out the parking light code on my Osrams headlights too, haha).

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Still haven't had a chance to play with vcds but how screwed am I if my dealer didn't set the odometer? I just stopped for gas and printed my receipt to write down my mileage as usual. Odometer is showing 185 miles, FML.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whaaaaaaat?

How could they NOT do that?! I know, in watching the tech do my car, there was a specific step in ODIS that requested the odometer setting; I remember because he jokingly asked if I wanted to extend my warranty by 20K km or so. :D

But yeah - from everything I've read, you can set the odometer in the first 100km (or 100miles, maybe?), but after that, it's locked.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
That's my understanding as well, ugghhh. Now I wonder if I can get the dealer to provide me some form of compensation for not doing this. I can't live with it being wrong so I have to get a new cluster. I have no intention of selling the car but I'm none too enthused about having an odometer discrepancy. The only question now is how much it's going to cost me.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I feel your pain, man - that'd bug the hell out of me.

I'm sure the dealer's recourse will be "well, just add xx,xxx miles to what you see - what's the big deal?"

I don't understand those people.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I kind of hinted that they should replace my dash if they can't change the mileage. they didn't object to that but they also seem to believe they'll be able to change it. I think not.

In any case, did the coding but can't switch maps to the dash. Did you see this at any point? The button is grayed out.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Never noticed that "Map <-->" icon before; will check it out tomorrow to see if I have it and whether or not it's greyed out or active.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Now that I think about it, and after reading some of the other threads... I don't think you'll have it since your Discover Pro can show the map in both places at once. Discovered Media can only do one or the other. The grayed out button is the toggle.

I'm still getting the arrows for navigation in the center of the dash. as I understand it that's available over the cann bus. I had those same arrows in my standard dash after I upgraded to the nav mib 2.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Dealer is not willing to offer anything with regards to replacing the dash but is willing to properly code my next one for free. Just bought the wife a Tesla (the opposite of a diesel I guess, haha) and vacation coming in August so I'm not likely to replace the AID until after that (unless someone who doesn't care about the odometer buys mine).

Oddly enough the dealer must have went through the entire coding procedure this time; besides the mileage adjustment which gave them an error because the dash isn't new anymore. Their procedure set my Tank Version to 3, it also set the Tube Version to 4 which looks like the Golf R, but themed red like a GTI. It also got rid of the "module incorrectly coded" fault I had. I'm not sure the best way to test the fuel gauge accuracy. How does your seem on Version 2?

I can only assume, along the lines you suggested, that the glow plug failure will show up anytime the engine module attempts to illuminate the glow plug light on the dash. As the Mk7.5 GTD can be optioned with the AID there must be coding/adaptation for simulating the glow plug "light" that we haven't figured out. It's also possible the AID in the GTD has different software. A user on GolfMk7 had an issue where no coding changes would give him a working fuel gauge, turned out his AID came out of a GTE hybrid. He flashed the "Golf" software version and all was well. The key would be getting a hold of the coding/adaptation map for an Mk7.5 GTD with the AID option...

So I found an error free scan posted from a 2018 Golf TDI on the Ross Tech forum. I don't know the rules for linking to other forums but a google search for (ross tech forum "2018 golf tdi") will get you there. Looks to be the same software and hardware version as the clusters we have so there's hope. I'll compare long coding when I get a chance. I've owned a Vag-com for years but never joined the forum. Might join just to ask the OP if they could get us an adaptation map, I'd pay a few bucks for it, haha.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
As I'm sure you can tell by my constant posting I'm bored... actually just procrastinating from doing my homework. But glow plug light is present on the dash but I have not seen it light up. Has to be in the coding somewhere.