Hewitt Industries Dual Boost Gauge

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
8' of tubing coiled up in a 6" circle under the dash and still get sooty water up in the gauge. Not exactly the same idea, but pretty close.
It oriented in such a way that it is the low point in the line, and there is a single low point in the entire thing?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
That's the "not exactly" part...the coil is generally horizontal, but it is at the low point between the exhaust manifold and the gauge.
Try thinning it down to one loop, oriented vertically, and put an inch of water in the bottom.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
Just out of curiosity in colder climates, such as Wisconsin or Minnesota, would that water freeze?
Could it do any damage to the tubing?
How long would it take to return to liquid once the cabin was warmed up?
Could you use something liquid other than water with a better freeze point?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Yes, it'll freeze.

It has not done any damage to the tubing I've used (vinyl, plastic, etc)

It takes ~15 minutes after you start getting heat depending on how cold it is

The water is from the exhaust gas - it's not put in there intentionally.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
The filter is BD part #135.They are 6.79 CAD + tax.
I tried to order some filters from BD today and they had to search for the part number as #135 did not come up.

The filter is referred to as a "scrubber" and the part number he came up with was 1200210.

Total cost was just over $15 for 2 filters plus shipping.

I also received my Hewitt gauge today and I did not get a invoice with a breakdown of prices but the total was $135 for the gauge, stainless EMP install kit, and shipping.

I will post pics this evening of the stainless EMP install kit.

The kit is not a solid stainless tube / pipe, but rather a 15" braided stainless hose with 1/4" npt threads on one end and swaglock fitting on the other end.

Last edited:

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I knew I should have asked them myself.

Glad you got to the bottom of it I was wondering about that 3 digit part # as most BD part #'s were 7 digits.

I wouldn't be surprised if the one you receive is different than the one I have as mine was used in one of their kits from 10 years ago.

Let us know if its different.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
Here are pictures of the braided stainless Exhaust pressure install kit:
The part number is 721-300-015. The tech support guy said they use these all the time to connect to exhaust manifolds on diesels.
The ends of the hose are AN fittings with adapters to 1/4" NPT and 1/8" push to connect or push in fitting.
If anyone knows the correct term for those push on fittings I would like to know.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
While the Hewitt industries EMP install hose is a quality part, I don't recommend it for the TDI's (at least not for the ALH).

I tried to install it today and it is about 6 or 7 inches too long, and not long enough to make a loop back to the firewall. The hose is also very stiff and does not like to do any bending.

I tried to find 1/8" stainless steel tubing but could not find any local.

On my way home I had a bright idea so I stopped at an AutoZone and picked up a 3/16" inverted flare steel brake line and 2 fittings to adapt from the inverted flare fitting to 1/8" NPT thread.

All together the brake line and 2 fittings were less than $11, I also needed a 1/4" to 1/8" NPT bushing and a 90 degree 1/4" NPT street elbow.

Everything went together very easily and I used a rubber cushioned metal clamp to hold the line using the same bolt that holds down the turbo oil feed line to the exhaust manifold.

Here are some pics of the install:

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
in case anyone needed the part numbers for the brake line and adapter fittings I used, here they are:

12" brake line part number PAX-312 Autozone SKU 216028
Brass 3/8-24 inverted flare to 1/8 NPT adapter fitting part number BLF-57C Autozone SKU 844613

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I received a "snubber" from BD and it's a fitting used for dampening the exhaust pulses to the gauge.

The filter I was after has been obsolete for years now.They don't use a filter anymore.

The BD tech guy said people have made their own using 3/8" NPT fittings and a small tampon.I can't remember all the details but I think you'll get the idea.The benefit is that you can change the "element" once a year (for example) at a low cost.

If someone makes one please post a picture up here.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
We'll see how it works. The problem I think you'll have with all the other filters I've seen is that they're so big compared to the size of the soot particles which are less than 1 micron. Now they agglomerate together to be bigger particles and will eventually plug up the damping orifice in the back of the gauge which is roughly 500 microns.

I've always heard the fittings called as "Push to Connect"

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
There really shouldn't be much flow in to the gauge, it is a closed off tube after all. Clogging of the filter shouldn't be much of a concern as long as it is mounted somewhat downstream.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
There really shouldn't be much flow in to the gauge, it is a closed off tube after all. Clogging of the filter shouldn't be much of a concern as long as it is mounted somewhat downstream.
Thus my suggestion of a dip in the tube to collect moisture and act as a trap.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Hopefully I can get the numatics PLS-B filter installed this weekend. I found tubing/adapters to make it go inline with my 1/8" tubing, just need to take a little time to install it.

I stumbled across these on Cole Parmer's website looking for something else at work the other day

http://www.coleparmer.com/Category/Cole_Parmer_PTFE_Syringe_Filters/1267.

Cheaper per unit, but higher minimum's.

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
I stumbled across these on Cole Parmer's website looking for something else at work the other day

http://www.coleparmer.com/Category/Cole_Parmer_PTFE_Syringe_Filters/1267.

Cheaper per unit, but higher minimum's.
I use the larger one for vacuum system in electronic soldering tool. (fume extractor on desoldering gun)
Is pretty weak for pressure on tdi, i dont test but with my mouth, the filter wall bend a lot.
Smaller filter (diameter like one way vale on TDI) are stronger, is possible this filter hold the pressure you need.

Dieseleux

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I bought the adapters and come to find out that the tubing on the HI gauge is just a bit bigger than 1/8" so the 1/8-1/4 adapters I purchased don't work :(

It must be 5/32 or metric - that's what I get for assuming instead of measuring...

I'll get the right adapters ordered on Monday and have them Tuesday then hopefully be able to get this installed.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
When I was installing mine the salesperson at Stuart hose gold me the tubing was 4mm.
When I asked him how he could tell without looking at it he responded "It is marked on the push lock fittings"
I never noticed it until he pointed it out.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I got this installed last week finally - Ignored the max temp limit and put it under the hood, but it's winter so it'll be fine for a while. I cleaned out the tubes with brake cleaner and compressed air until they were clean.

Once I cleaned it out the gauge a month or so ago, I noticed that it buzzed a lot on the exhaust side. So much so that I pulled the car over just a few blocks from home and filled the tube with brake cleaner and it damped the signal nicely. I did not have this buzz when new so maybe things have loosened up a bit in the gauge?

So, I left it in for a week and took a few pictures of it this morning. I did notice that it was freezing still and given the water in it, it's no surprise. However, the filter itself is keeping the soot out of the gauge.

Dirty tube

Clean tube