FS: 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 4x4 2dr 6.5l Turbo Diesel Black

Dimsler

I've got a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Turbo Diesel 6.5l. It has 255,000km or 159,000 miles but don't let the mileage fool you. Its a Z71 model fully loaded with grey leather, 4x4 on the fly, car starter, block heater, recent transmission, injection pump, pmd with cooler, and suspension maintenance. I can get 20-22mpg on this bad boy its not a TDI but it is a full size suv, and for that it gets amazing fuel consumption. Has never seen biodiesel or anything like that, just fresh commercial diesel all of its life. It is not a perfect truck, a few dings and some scuffs inside but it wasn't a farm truck, it drove from suburbia into the city 60 miles a day.

I'm located in Hamilton, ON, 30min from border.

$9500 is what I'm looking to get. USD or CAD, same thing.

I will get more pictures if there has been some interest, pm me is key.

Dimsler

Nope it is all original. Infact the only GM suvs that got 6.5l turbo diesels were the Suburban and the 2dr Tahoe, and It had to be specifically the 2dr. Its a very rare vehicle.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
i've seen quite a few of em around here.there is actually one setting behind the local chevy dealer right now.

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
USA had them diesel in Suburban's I have never seen 2-door Tahoe with diesel.

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
I remember seeing this for sale in autotrader like 8 months ago. Almost called you to see it. I was looking for a full size truck/suv. Ended up buying a dodge though. Bump for selling it.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
9500 is way too much.at least in my part of the country.one just sold at a local dealer with less miles for 4500.

smartnhappy

TDI
Still looking
Wonder if this truck is still available?
I'm really interested in getting another diesel Tahoe.
Mine was stolen last year.
PM me if anyone knows.
Thanks

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
USA got 1/2 ton diesels GM in that era as well.
I had a 1996 half ton (1500) Chevy p/u with the 6.5L I sold about 4 years ago. I can't tell you how many times people and even one GM mechanic questioned that it was rebadged a 1500. The easiest way to prove them wrong was show them the half tons had the 6 lug wheels while all the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks used 8.

Other than the constant injector pump problems I really loved that truck!

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I owned gasser versions 96 and 97. 2dr tahoe sport z71. I miss those, cept for mileage.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
So, we sell more than TDI's here? (I don't think so)

THIS IS A TDI DIESEL SECTION, not a chevy one!

Last edited:

smartnhappy

TDI
Still looking
I'm sorry, I had no intention of trying to hijacking this thread.
It was just a simple inquiry as to whether or not this Tahoe was still for sale.
My initial inquiry is still valid.... if it's still for sale.
Thank you

Dimsler

Damn I can't believe someone dug this thread up, the thread forums long ago when I posted this in 08 were a bit different, this was the Diesel Vehicle Section, but none the less I've never sold this thing, put another 40,000km on it trouble free. But I am seriously upgrading to something newer,

$4k, obo, let me know if their are any takers before I post it in the local kijiji.

Dimsler

Oh and as for tdi / idi, these motors are practically direct injected if you look at the way the injector lines up.

smartnhappy

TDI
Still looking
About a month ago I posted this comment....
I'm sorry, I had no intention of trying to hijacking this thread.
It was just a simple inquiry as to whether or not this Tahoe was still for sale.
I ended up buying this truck.
It's been rode hard and put away wet many times. Solid engine now starts and runs well (292Km) once the correct glow plugs and resistor installed. Needs tires, pitman arm and alignment to pass safety, plus some electrical work (lights, DRLs, horn, etc.)
A rolling testament to diesel technology.
This thread should end now with sale of truck. Sorry it's wasn't VW-related, but keep in mind it was started over 3 years ago under a general topic originally named Diesel Cars for Sale/Wanted, which was later renamed TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted.
I couldn't have bought this vehicle without the TDICLUB and a Google search for 'Diesel Tahoes' finding it on your website. Thank you.
I'm staying a member here, with continuing interest in TDI diesels and all VW products. I'd but a Tiguan tomorrow if it came with a diesel in Canada. The Tourag diesel is just too expensive for me right now.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I own one of these too.. it's a 1994 2 door Blazer.. apparently they only made 100 or so in 93 and 94 with the older interior.. 1995 they changed the dash around and gave them airbags and a much better radio.. I paid a little more for mine than the original poster here was asking.. it had 138k when I got it, needed an idler arm and pitman arm, which just about every full size chevy needs.. I have 165k now and I drive the wheels off the truck.. I use it to plow snow and pull the car trailer.. I get about 20mpg empty and about 14-15 towing the trailer loaded..

the truck

and the interior

Last edited:

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
Those ARE great trucks. We built those here in Janesville WI for a few years before GM sent the diesel builds to Silao Mexico, and IIRC, the 2 dr builds went to Silao as well in about '98 or '99. Your black truck is paint code #41 and there's a 50% chance I painted it, or repaired it. Enjoy the truck!