Oil on outside of SMIC and broke the tinfoil hat ball nipple

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
https://ibb.co/kSGmTS

No loss of power, i had all the pipes off of the vehicle a month or so ago and there are a few drops of oil in any valley but not much noticeable loss of oil in some 2,000 miles. I did notice I'm dropping some oil from the cam seal. Changed the valve cover seal which cut it down but still getting a few drops on the front lip/heat guard of the manifold.

The ic is all oily. Is it common on these? I'm thinking i should make some sort of adapters so i can pressure test it to be sure. I have a STIHL crankcase and carb vac/pressure gauge that goes up to some 30 psi. If it is worth testing how much psi should i put in it and how long should i expect it to hold?

Second, when removing vac tubing i pulled the line thinking i was being gentle. The nipple in the little tinfoil hat ball broke. Its located behind the n75 and below the intake. Between turbo and block. Is this just a vac canister? If so any issues with me just putting a nipple on some house hold/shop item i think looks cool and putting it in an awkward position? Im thinking old treasure troll with hose coming out of its keister zip tied to the inner bumper support. You know, in case i ever sell the vehicle, a surprise for the next owner. If you cant have fun doing a timing belt, bsm delete and 5 speed conversion when can you have fun?

We have choices

Treasure troll
Street hockey ball
Plastic head of Obama
R2D2
Or some metal beverage can with resealble metal top.

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
my IC looks just like yours, the round canister I believe is vacuum for the turbo, Rube Goldbarb should be fine.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Any tip to removing the pin for the fuse block (large fuse in ecu clam shell with 2 red wires) was losing daylight fast last night and couldn't tell 100%

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Any tip to removing the pin for the fuse block (large fuse in ecu clam shell with 2 red wires) was losing daylight fast last night and couldn't tell 100%
flattened paper clip, pull fuse out look down you will see a notch alongside connector, stick it in there and pull

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you sir!

I need to order a new snub mount. Mine was dust. I've seen a lot of poly snub mounts im assuming are more designed for gasser motors. Are the additional vibrations from the bhw unbearable with a solid poly mount?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Never put solid mounts in a BHW application. Never use 1.8t motor mounts either

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Never put solid mounts in a BHW application. Never use 1.8t motor mounts either
Thank you vwztips!
My motor mounts look new. Appears the timing belt was recently done too but will be redone for good measure anyway along with new tensioner, roller and metal water pump. Not sure why anyone would do so much work and not replace the snub mount unless it just deteriorated quickly.
Anyone have the vw part number for the oem snub mount for the diesel? Don't feel like driving the the local dealership if i can get it shipped to my door.

Last edited: