SeaFoam

Automann

TDI
2003 Jetta TDi Wagon
Has anyone used Seafoam in the crankcase/fuel? With what results please.

I have a hard start problem, cranks very well but won't start right off. When it does, there is alot of smoke from the tailpipe! A LOT... help?
:cool:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Use the advanced search, click on "search title only". There are several threads there, too many to copy and paste here.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
You mention hard starting, did you already use Sea Foam? Generally speaking don't use Sea Foam in a TDI, in the crankcase as that can cause a runaway engine, and it is not the greatest injector cleaner either.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Have you checked the injection timing?? When it's not advanced enough it causes longer cranking times. Of course there are lots of other factors that may need to be addressed, but it takes some digging to find the causes.
I doubt SeaFoam added to the oil will do any good for that issue.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
You mention hard starting, did you already use Sea Foam? Generally speaking don't use Sea Foam in a TDI, in the crankcase as that can cause a runaway engine, and it is not the greatest injector cleaner either.
Where does this information originate from???

I had used Seafoam in my former 2002 Jetta without ever experiencing any problem whatsoever!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You need nothing in your crankcase but the proper oil.

My '98 is pushing 400k miles. You couldn't tell if it has more than 10k based on what the inside of the engine looks like. In other words there are no deposits. If the wrong stuff has been used there might be deposits but switching to the right oil will probably clean them up.

What jettawreck said on your starting problem.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
You need nothing in your crankcase but the proper oil.
There is/was a big difference in my and your driving. When at home I used ULSD at 15ppm sulfur. I also drive in Mexico where the Diesel is LSD at 500+ppm sulfur. The sulfur does leave deposits in the crank case whether you like it or not.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd just reduce the interval if the sulfur content of Mexican fuel truly is problematic. No way would I mess with the oil viscosity/ lubricating properties by adding something like seafoam. Most all of the miracle additives are snake oil, imo.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
There is/was a big difference in my and your driving. When at home I used ULSD at 15ppm sulfur. I also drive in Mexico where the Diesel is LSD at 500+ppm sulfur. The sulfur does leave deposits in the crank case whether you like it or not.
So what if it does? Taking older engines apart when leaded fuel was around, we found huge deposits of "gunk" and it was the lead. :)

and it is not the greatest injector cleaner either.
Disagree, used it every tank of WMO in my diesel van and it kept my injectors free of deposits, stopped using it and had to service them every 3-4 months. :(

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas

So why are there no deposits in my engine that ran LSD for several years?

And what does what I like have to do with it?