post fix DSG update failure - bricked cars with no solution from VW

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This is a nightmare! Sorry to all of you who have had bricked cars. We were discussing this in the chat room today and a couple of people suggested that a new transmission control unit might fix the problem, but good luck getting Volkswagen on board with that idea.

It's appalling that you all haven't received any noteworthy updates after all this time. It's also appalling that they won't let you switch to a buyback. My understanding is that there is a provision for switching to a buyback if you there is some level of dissatisfaction with the fix (certain number of days in the shop?) similar to a lemon law. I guess this doesn't qualify under those terms, although it absolutely should. :rolleyes:

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
I also thought a replacement DSG module (2010 or up) that would accept the new transmission software would be a good solution. But the module is most likely part of the mechatronics unit. You're correct that VW isn't going to want to replace the mechatronics unit to fix the problem when it is just a software update required.

Spoke to the Service Rep this morning and he thinks that VW probably needs to perform a limited amount of testing with the updated software to show that it meets the criteria for the emissions fix. Even if limited in nature, it will still take time, and that might be what is delaying the update. Just speculation at this point, but seems to make sense.

Regards,

Marty

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Thanks for improving the thread title.

I would be be happy with any indication that VW even has a clue what the problem is. (ok, not exactly happy....)

It is not rocket science, but it does take some application of skilled resources to understand what the difficulty is, come up with potential fixes, and then get one chosen and then approved.

This is pretty consistent with the whole VW dieselgate performance from day one. (my opinion)

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Too bad they can't just hire one of the tdiclub tuners. I bet this would be fixed real quick.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Wait a minute. We've been told it is perfectly legal for us to drive our cars without the 'fix' being applied. So why can't the dealer reinstall the original programming and let you take the car until the 'fix' is fixed?

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
Wait a minute. We've been told it is perfectly legal for us to drive our cars without the 'fix' being applied. So why can't the dealer reinstall the original programming and let you take the car until the 'fix' is fixed?
Good question. I asked my Service Rep that identical question 5 weeks ago. They could do it, but they won't. VW gave them clear direction to park the car and give the customer a loaner. I didn't get the sense they would go against VW' s direction.

adrienne

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Hi Friends,

Sorry for the delay. It was Huge Holiday time in Jew-land, and then I was away for the weekend.

I got my car back on Friday afternoon, because I needed it for the weekend. Fernando (manager) said to text him tomorrow AM when he's back in, and they'll continue working on the mystery leak the car has had for a few years. This is its fourth round and they still can't figure it out. Not the sunroof or seals or hoses .. a friend just recommended the antenna area, so I'll suggest that.

I'm hoping to get more info from him tomorrow but I did learn something very interesting from him. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply to most of you, but I'm honestly thinking about it. Was talking to him about the leak, and I said "You would think I'd sell the car, with all these problems, but there's nothing like it on the market." And Fernando smiles and says - "Actually, there is." Whut?

He says *because I haven't actually started the fix yet* (see doesn't apply to 'some of you'), I could still choose to sell the car, and use the money to buy one of their slightly used 2015 Golf TDI SWs sitting in their basement.

Ok now. I love my car. I mean I LOVE my car. But to have a '15 with almost the same interior CuFt, with similar mpg ... that's really f'ing tough to say No to. I like my older model. I don't like the lack of road-feel in the '17 I was loaned last week. But damn. I really have to think about that.

Meanwhile, the point is that I've read a few places around here about dealers that say that if you signed up for the fix, you can't change your mind. And /my/ dealership is telling me that you can still change your mind if you haven't had the fix yet.

Food for thought. I'm off to compare the '15 to the '10 ... If it weren't for this damn mystery leak, I wouldn't even consider it, honestly. Hopefully I'll have more info tomorrow when I drop Max off again. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, hang in there. And hey - I see NO reason not to ask for a Golf 'wagen. That's what they are giving me so it must be something the dealers can do, right? ;) I hope that line works for you.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Food for thought. I'm off to compare the '15 to the '10 ... If it weren't for this damn mystery leak, I wouldn't even consider it, honestly. Hopefully I'll have more info tomorrow when I drop Max off again. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, hang in there. And hey - I see NO reason not to ask for a Golf 'wagen. That's what they are giving me so it must be something the dealers can do, right? ;) I hope that line works for you.

Depending on how much you'd be out of pocket after buyback and purchase of the '15, buy the '15, warranty alone is worth it for the next 6 years, do you see yourself keeping the '10 for another 6 more years?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Hi Friends,

Sorry for the delay. It was Huge Holiday time in Jew-land, and then I was away for the weekend...........

Hope you had a great holiday.

my dealer does not have a wagon they use as a loaner. and seem not inclined to add one to the fleet to make me happy.

I have asked several times.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Too bad they can't just hire one of the tdiclub tuners. I bet this would be fixed real quick.
Been reading through this thread just scratching my head thinking the same :confused: We deal with dealers quite frequently for a variety of things including repairs. Although they likely only have a specific file to write, and fault tables etc have been moved around in the fix software so that can cause some problems, we've seen some weird issues with tools on our end.

Also know someone locally who bought a written off Audi TT, the only reason it was written off was because the dealership flashed the wrong software onto the DSG and couldn't figure it out. Replacing the transmission cost more than 50% of the expected value of the car based on existing repairs/mileage, so they wrote it off and someone bought it back. Ran great with a flash.

Best of luck here, sounds like a weird mess up. Early 09 ECUs are different, imagine it's a problem with dsg tuning within the ECU, VW seems to be struggling so image there's more to it.

adrienne

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Good question. And one I'm not sure how to answer. I /thought/ I really liked the brand new '17 allroad that they loaned me, but then I got my car back and thought, "Nope. Can't feel the road in that one nearly as much as my Max" ... I have mixed feelings.

Depending on how much you'd be out of pocket after buyback and purchase of the '15, buy the '15, warranty alone is worth it for the next 6 years, do you see yourself keeping the '10 for another 6 more years?
And meerschm, that's just a bummer. I saw your pix from your last trip and the camping up top sure looked purdy. Rude Dealer. Or foolish. If he were smart, he'd like you drive a newer Golf 'wagen like mine did and have you considering a buy-back deal.

my dealer does not have a wagon they use as a loaner. and seem not inclined to add one to the fleet to make me happy.
I have asked several times.
Got my car back from Sonnen yesterday. They fixed the O2 recall, fixed the middle seat belt that had become completed locked in on itself, and tracked down a crimped hose that was making the back of the car fill up with water every winter.

They charged me under $250 for the seat belt and days of tracking down the leak, and the loaners were free. I am grateful for their service, especially with this fiasco in hand, and they had my loyalty since we moved back up to Marin in '02, but they sure have cemented it.

Here's the latest from Fernando at Sonnen [who says he's actually a member here, and turns out he may be watching us ;)] regarding the fix: He says that /some/ of these fluke 09/10 models that won't take the software fix they HAVE found a workaround for. Not all of them - not even - but they're certainly working on it.

Of course, it's not all of the ~300+ and, of course, mine's not one of them. But if you haven't heard about this, please be aggressive in asking your dealership if yours is one of them - can't hurt to try and you may get the golden ticket.

I'll cross my fingers that one of us gets lucky this round.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the update.

don't suppose he had any more details on what this work-around is?

( I could call Fernando later.....)

Or if you are watching, feel free to respond here....

Last edited:

Meg8

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Fernando, please respond!

Definitely would like to know specifics of workaround/who qualifies!

Thanks again, Adrienne!

Last edited:

adrienne

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I don't know that he knows any details. He said only that they had figured out a way to get the software - which is the whole issue - to "take" on some of these DSGs.

Unfortunately, I probably won't see him again until he thinks there's a fix for me, but I guess I'm trying not to hold my breath. =\

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Very glad I read this thread.
Left my lovely red '09 JSW in Virginia in late July and received the message about "the fix" from VW.
My hopes soared.
Reading this thread mine (build date late '08?) is probably a candidate for the brickyard.

:(

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My e-z pass is installed in the loaner, favorite XM stations stored. phone linked.
Discovered over the weekend that the loaner does not have an ice scraper. (visiting my son in upstate NY). added air to the tires....

service rep says VW is close, but no banana. (my term) Based on talk with a roving VW super-tech. said work-around is a rumor.

he also says 10,000 cars are affected. 09 and 10, but not all of them.

adrienne

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Great information - thank you. Sounds like they're learning more and more. Maybe some day soon we'll have the whole story. Heh.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
( visiting son in NY). I just watched News/Weather. No need for a Ice Scrapper in next week. But . . . Ya never know

Woza

TDI
2009 Jetta CR DSG. 2002 Jetta scrapped The ALH engine is being used in my Project
Hey All how many of you have been told by VW USA that you have to take the buy back. I was told that yesterday by a clerk at VW USA resolutions.
My 2009 TDI CR DSG has been at the dealer for 6 weeks due to when they did the CPU flash the mechanic got an ERROR. VW USA told the dealer to park the Jetta in their yard. I stirred the pot with Doug the VW USA rep to get things moving. That is when Laura from VW USA called me yesterday and told me that there is no fix for the 2009 and I have no option but to take the buy back.
MEH to me this is VW USA BULLEYING me into the buy back when I asked for the fix. The Jetta has 120k on the clock and has been serviced buy the dealers in my area.
Anybody else on the forum being held hostage by the ****** coporate VW USA. The dealer has to toe the line and they gave me a loaner.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This is big news...

Hey All how many of you have been told by VW USA that you have to take the buy back. I was told that yesterday by a clerk at VW USA resolutions.
My 2009 TDI CR DSG has been at the dealer for 6 weeks due to when they did the CPU flash the mechanic got an ERROR. VW USA told the dealer to park the Jetta in their yard. I stirred the pot with Doug the VW USA rep to get things moving. That is when Laura from VW USA called me yesterday and told me that there is no fix for the 2009 and I have no option but to take the buy back.
MEH to me this is VW USA BULLEYING me into the buy back when I asked for the fix. The Jetta has 120k on the clock and has been serviced buy the dealers in my area.
Anybody else on the forum being held hostage by the ****** coporate VW USA. The dealer has to toe the line and they gave me a loaner.
There are lots of 2009 owners with this exact same problem right now. What you're posting is actually big news, since VW is now telling you that you have to take the buyback. Up until now, they've been telling everyone that they can't change their status from fix to buyback and that they must wait for VW to come up with a solution, per orders from corporate. If what your dealer is telling you is true, it could mean that VW is giving up on the problematic 2009s (and some 2010s).

Howie09tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI(buyback gone) 2015 BEETLE TDI
==> To clarify the buyback is not your only option. At this time, we are currently working on resolving this issue. You can definitely stick with the modification but you may also switch to the buyback if you would like. This from VW claims chat 5minutes ago

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If what your dealer is telling you is true, it could mean that VW is giving up on the problematic 2009s (and some 2010s).
Kinda like the '12-'14 manual Passats. Wait and see wait and see. At least these owners are getting a loaner to rack up the miles, yes even though it isn't their VW diesel, every mile put on a loaner is one less mile of wear and tear on their own car.

Plus loaners and rental cars make great offroad cars ;)

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
==> To clarify the buyback is not your only option. At this time, we are currently working on resolving this issue. You can definitely stick with the modification but you may also switch to the buyback if you would like. This from VW claims chat 5minutes ago
What is the link to VW claims chat? I sent emails that got no response. I'd like to try this avenue on a different question affecting me.

marmur99

TDI
2014 Beetle DSG Sun+Sound+Nav; 2015 Touareg Lux
I don't think they can make you sell your car to them. I think the choice between the buyback and the fix is a part of the settlement so any change would have to go through the court.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I don't think they can make you sell your car to them.
No, they can't make you sell them the car. But if they can't fix it, they can't fix it, and they aren't going to pay you as if they did fix it. So if they can't fix it, your options become sell it back, or get nothing.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
No, but I would think that they could legally forced to restore it to the running condition (EPA compliant or not) prior to thier breaking it . . . They have *ZERO* legal right to brick the car and then plead stupid, when they damn well know how to make it functional again . . .

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I believe the issue up to now is that VW either can't or won't revert the tuning to pre-fix condition. Why that's the case, isn't something that we (outside of VW) know.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Even if they physically could revert it to pre-fix condition - and it sounds like part of the problem here is that they can't - doing so would be reinstalling a defeat device I believe.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Considering that the fix is not legally mandated, it's hard to see hoe leavong it as it was could be an issue . . . the owner has had that option all along. If all else fails, get a salvage yard module,mfly VW the finger, and motor on . . .

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The problem is that it's not as-is at this point - as I understand, everything has been fixed except the transmission computer. So, they'd have to unfix everything (which is likely a federal violation)... and then they'd still have to replace the transmission computer to get the car working.