Headliner repair

ryanmoore

TDI
2006 Jetta
My headliner is starting to come apart near the backseat dome lights. What is the best kind of glue to put it back up. Its not sagging too bad, but i fear it will get worse the longer i wait.

adamrc

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI BRM - DSG
My wife and father both have a 2006 Jetta and they are both coming apart around the side airbags in the back. It's crazy that VW used such cheap materials on these MKVs. I've talked to many people and they said that the entire headliner will need to replaced. It ranges from around $300-800 to replace.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
My wife and father both have a 2006 Jetta and they are both coming apart around the side airbags in the back. It's crazy that VW used such cheap materials on these MKVs. I've talked to many people and they said that the entire headliner will need to replaced. It ranges from around $300-800 to replace.
Wow that is quite a spread in price. Are these happening to folks more so in warm climages or cold climates? Interesting.

ryanmoore

TDI
2006 Jetta
damn im just going to have to leave it for now, i dont have 300 bucks to spend on my headliner lol. thanks for the info

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Wow that is quite a spread in price. Are these happening to folks more so in warm climages or cold climates? Interesting.
My failing headliner lives in and around Louisville, KY. I would call it neither hot nor cold, just not a robust headliner.

Mine started to delaminate around the sunglass holder this spring. Now it is coming apart at the top of the C pillar too. Bummer, because the rest of the interior is holding up really well for a car with 250K miles on it.

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
The headliner for mine is bad and I checked with VWoA and of course they said they would not stand behind it and was not aware of any problems with the headliners even after I sent the link to all the problems listed on here. I called a couple dealers in KC and they would sell me one cash for $150.

FlyNavy

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Moved to Corpus Christi and mine started to fall down shortly after the move. Started near the rear dome light but has since spread throughout the cabin. Waiting until I move back east to have it replaced, the local dealership is probably the worst VW dealer I have had to deal with across 4 states.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
40 little stainless sheet metal screws (#4 x 3/8 I think) and 40 little washers, and mine is back up. Made a kinda neat quilted pattern. Total cost about ten bucks, took about an hour.

Iflyasa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Dudes!! VW North America will fix this for free!! I have had mine and many others on the forum do this. Call VW North America, tell them about the headliner issue. There is some type of bulletin regarding this. They will call your local dealer and work the deal out. It's a free headliner with free labor. I did mine less than a year ago on my 06 TDI. It doesn't matter what your mileage is.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Call VW North America, tell them about the headliner issue. There is some type of bulletin regarding this.
Is there a name or a number for this bulletin? Most posts say they have had no luck in getting this repaired by VW.

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
I called VWoA about a month ago and the woman declined me.....said there was not enough problems to warrant a recall or help. She didn't make me very happy to say the least. How did you go about getting them to agree to fix yours?

Iflyasa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I called VWoA about a month ago and the woman declined me.....said there was not enough problems to warrant a recall or help. She didn't make me very happy to say the least. How did you go about getting them to agree to fix yours?
I guess I talked to the right person. There is enough of a problem for them to warrant a fix, because it's already happened. Call back and give them the case number I posted previously.

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
they said that is your case # assigned to your car

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
The B#####h said since mine is 100K miles out of warranty they would NOT help out.
IMO VWoA is pathetic!!!!!!!

adamrc

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI BRM - DSG
VWoA won't help me either since I'm out of warranty. My dad tried as well but with no success. VW will not fix this for free.

Iflyasa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
VWoA won't help me either since I'm out of warranty. My dad tried as well but with no success. VW will not fix this for free.
Mine was at 83,000 and completely out of warranty! They said mileage didn't matter since it was an ongoing issue that VW admitted they are at fault. I wished I could give you more info. I didn't realize that case number was for me specifically. You can call VW in Snellville GA and ask the service manager about that case. Maybe they can give you better insight and have you explain it to them. That number was the only thing on the invoice that stood out. It may be that so many people got new headliners, they decided to stop. Who knows. I think I just got lucky with the right person. The fact that there was a case assigned to me, means there IS a case ongoing.

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
I talked to two different women two separate times and they have to stop and check with someone then come back on the line and tell me no even after I explain all the problems just mentioned on TDICLUB. You might as well talk to concrete as talk to them. I hung up on her.

FlyNavy

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Just called VWofA, they declined servicing the headliner as my vehicle was 3 years and 30k out of warranty all despite other '06 Jettas getting headliners replaced free of charge at 133k just a year ago. She was real quick to try to get me to buy a new VW and when I declined essentially hung up on me. Gotta love VW.

schoolcb: thanks for the link

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
I gave them that case number and they said that was your individual case number and had nothing to do with them having a case # for headliner problems. I wasn't very happy when I got off the phone with the woman.