CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Anyone have any problems since the install? I just had some issues where I'd lose power and get a flashing glow plug light, and the P0087 code, but the car would still drive, but in a limp mode (I could still get up to highway speeds, just doesn't have much power and doesn't do hills well). After clearing the code, it drove just fine. Got home, and it drove fine the next day too. Today, I hooked up vcds to do some logging, drove around the neighborhood no problem. Go back home. Later, go out with the wife and have the problem on the highway again. Hook up vcds, get some logs, clear the code, and happen to be logging when it happens again. I drive to a safe spot to stop, shut off the car, clear codes, and it won't start. I try to prime with block 35 and vcds says the fuel pump is on, but I don't hear anything. Try again, nothing. So now I'm waiting for roadside assistance so I can get home.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
I'll help you troubleshoot, send am an email,
tdi2micron@yahoo.ca
Thank you,
Andrew

voilsb

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Thanks for posting the outcome. Congrats on getting it fixed.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
87 golf. but close. :p. progress is slow and i didnt want people to have to wait a month for small updates. haha figured id wait till its in the final stages to start it. ill post back here once i get the car running. lol
I wonder if this ever got completed?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
When people start going in for the fix, let us know what they think of the CP3 kit. I'd like to know if they deny service.

Also Is anyone else holding off on installing the CP3 now that the extended emissions warranty has added 48,000 miles?

I'm at 106,000 miles and was wondering if it would be smart to wait another 14,000 miles (probably 6 months) to get my emissions modification done. I was scheduled for the end of the month. This would thoroughly extend the warranty to the HPFP to 168,000 miles... or go with a CP3. It is the Wife's wagon and I just don't plan on modifying it or getting it a tune...

What's your opinion if you were in the same shoes?

Last edited:

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
When people start going in for the fix, let us know what they think of the CP3 kit. I'd like to know if they deny service.

Also Is anyone else holding off on installing the CP3 now that the extended emissions warranty has added 48,000 miles?

I'm at 106,000 miles and was wondering if it would be smart to wait another 14,000 miles (probably 6 months) to get my emissions modification done. I was scheduled for the end of the month. This would thoroughly extend the warranty to the HPFP to 168,000 miles... or go with a CP3. It is the Wife's wagon and I just don't plan on modifying it or getting it a tune...

I'm at 116K on my 2010. I'm getting the timing belt done on 31st. I have the CP3 kit sitting here. Once I get the fix complete, I'm planning on installing the CP3 after the fix warranty has expired. I do have both of the 2Micron HPFP kits installed just in case the OEM HPFP does give out during the next 50K miles.

lilpig88

TDI
1985 1.6td, 2004 PD, 2011 JSW 6mt
In the relatively unlikely event of a HPFP failure during the post-fix warranty, do you think VW will refuse or at least try to not replace under warranty if the 2micron filter kits are installed? I ask because I plan to get the fix sometime in the future and have debated whether or not leaving the 2micron stuff on during the extended warranty 48k miles is wise (from a VW warranty perspective, that is). I'm currently over 180k

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II

I am at 108,000. I will wait close to the 120k mark to get the fix for the extra 4.5 years of HPFP warranty. I'll get to 54,000 miles faster than the 4.5 years, so 4.5 years will be my warranty ("4.5 years or 54,000 miles whichever is greater")

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
In the relatively unlikely event of a HPFP failure during the post-fix warranty, do you think VW will refuse or at least try to not replace under warranty if the 2micron filter kits are installed? I ask because I plan to get the fix sometime in the future and have debated whether or not leaving the 2micron stuff on during the extended warranty 48k miles is wise (from a VW warranty perspective, that is). I'm currently over 180k
That's a good question. In my case, I'll just slap on the CP3. IMO, if you have a competent dealer, they should understand what the kits do and simply replace your HPFP. They would save a lot of on labor and part costs since the 2micron kits would prevent swarf damage. Perhaps you can discuss that your local dealer.

I believe I have read here of an independent shop performing the HPFP replacement after a failure with VWOA providing reimbursement. If that is correct, another option would be to locate a trusted independent do the work if your HPFP were to fail under warranty.

lilpig88

TDI
1985 1.6td, 2004 PD, 2011 JSW 6mt
Thanks,
That's good to know there might be some leeway depending on the dealer. Honestly and thankfully, I've never had to deal with a VW dealer but I'll ask when the fix happens. I do all my own work so it's not an issue as much as a curiosity for me. I suppose if the pump fails without a 2micron kit and under warranty, one will also end up with a lot more new parts...or maybe just a bigger fight.

now back to the topic...not intending to derail the cp3 upgrade thread - they're fun to see!

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I have CP3 since 240k miles and now nearing 258k miles and still trouble free and put a big smile on my face when she pulls hard with CP3 compared to the oem CP4.1 pump with malone tune 2.0..... and far better MPG. Been making 60-62 mpg with ac on and completely empty car. With my videophone equipment I average get 52-55 mpg.

Today most roads were 55 mph and I got 60-62 and tank miles reached nearly 900 miles. I know it is not accurate but it is insane.

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
got the " fix" done with a Stage 2 and DSG running, with a CP3 upgrade, and baked on soot in tailpipe that Breakcleaner couldnt remove.

Andrew, do you make a filter that replaces the oem 20k crap one? so i dont have 2 filters that need to be replaced?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
He doesn't make filters. You don't really have to change the factory filter every 20k miles if you don't want to. I believe the interval for the same filter is more like 60k miles in Europe. And the cimtek filter can easily go 100k miles. It's just catching very minute amounts of very small particles.

Last edited:

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
sorry i meant the filter mounting thingey that you screw the filter into. besides, id rather change the cimtek filter once then the oem one 5 times by audi recomandations....

wasnt andrews kit was built to filter the HPFP when it grenades and shoots out all the metal shards into the rest of the fuel system.

what i was looking for was a cimtek filter and housing to compleatly replace the oem one, that filters down to 2 micron, and is good for over 100k miles. witch is about 18 months the way i drive or every 4 months by audi standards with the oem crap.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Andrews containflow filtering arrangement is plumbed differently than his cp3 polishing filter. Personally, I'd just change the factory filter every 40-60k miles if I drove that much. I've driven all over the country, and the filter and housing always look spotless when I do filter changes.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Anyone that installs the CP3, post up so we can add to the list and hear about your upgrade!

Here are a couple links to the birth of this upgrade:
Andrew's initial testing and fitment
YukonLT's install and impressions

Looking forward to seeing more of these on the road!
It's not installed at this very minute, but add me to the list. Brian (alphaseinor) has the TB off (decided to change at 90K instead of 120K), and the CP3 will be installed before I leave.

Oh, and for the curious, the car is at maybe 2 dozen miles over 199K. TB was last changed at 110K (also done early). After having my TB take a crap on the Golf (BEW), I'll probably keep it around 90K change intervals, which is about every 4.5 years at the rate I drive.

**EDIT 09-03-17**

The car accelerates a lot quicker. The throttle feels very smooth, almost like a Nissan Leaf or other EV, or a luxury car. It felt scratchy before. Also, I noticed when I floor it, the car still rolls some coal, but it's not a smoke screen like it was prior to the upgrade. All in all, I'm very pleased.

Last edited:

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
It's not installed at this very minute, but add me to the list. Brian (alphaseinor) has the TB off (decided to change at 90K instead of 120K), and the CP3 will be installed before I leave.

Oh, and for the curious, the car is at maybe 2 dozen miles over 199K. TB was last changed at 110K (also done early). After having my TB take a crap on the Golf (BEW), I'll probably keep it around 90K change intervals, which is about every 4.5 years at the rate I drive.

**EDIT 09-03-17**

The car accelerates a lot quicker. The throttle feels very smooth, almost like a Nissan Leaf or other EV, or a luxury car. It felt scratchy before. Also, I noticed when I floor it, the car still rolls some coal, but it's not a smoke screen like it was prior to the upgrade. All in all, I'm very pleased.
Added!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Sweet, thank you YukonLT. Now I just hope there's interest in the future for Mk7 owners (I know there's already a thread on it for the Mk7, but we all know it's a useless thread).

Some photos of the finished product, along with one of Brian's techs (a fellow BEW owner).

Oh, and this will be going up for sale on here. How quick it sells (if it sells) is anyone's guess.

I have yet to see how fuel economy is. I was in a hurry to get home after the install (we finished up around midnight), so I was doing between 79 and 90. Still got over 34mpg, though.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Sweet! Congrats! I made 51 mpg at 80 mph with empty car. love it when she is empty.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Sweet! Congrats! I made 51 mpg at 80 mph with empty car. love it when she is empty.
Well, of course you did; you're in Central FL. When I lived in Melbourne Beach a few years ago, it was cakewalk getting over 40mpg, even on 95. Not so much in Texas Hill Country!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
There are a few MK7 CP3s running around. I've detailed some of my install in my build thread and here as well. Very simple install with only one small adjustment to the pigtail connector going to the pump needing a trim. I wouldn't be surprised if Andrew has already sourced a different version that solves the issue though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't question that, been in TX and it's kinda hilly. There are some hills in FL, I do sometimes lose few MPGs from that. mostly on I-75 northbound... hate that road. from turnpike intersection into I-75 to Lake City, many hills. Now I no longer cover that area for work, good riddance.
Well, of course you did; you're in Central FL. When I lived in Melbourne Beach a few years ago, it was cakewalk getting over 40mpg, even on 95. Not so much in Texas Hill Country!

Smartcarper

TDI
VW T5 BiTdi
Hi Ecevryone
I am new to CP3 pumps but as an owner of a VW CFCA 2.0 common rail BiTdi engine I am aware that one of my engines biggest drawbacks regarding tuning is the poor volume capacity of the OEM fuel pump.
I would love to fit a high pressure high volume CP3 pump to my engine and have found many for sale from engines as small as 1700cc upto 6500 cc can anyone please point me in the right direction to source the correct pump ( donar car spec year and engine size) I fully understand I need an interface kit for correct installation. TIA

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Hi Ecevryone
I am new to CP3 pumps but as an owner of a VW CFCA 2.0 common rail BiTdi engine I am aware that one of my engines biggest drawbacks regarding tuning is the poor volume capacity of the OEM fuel pump.
I would love to fit a high pressure high volume CP3 pump to my engine and have found many for sale from engines as small as 1700cc upto 6500 cc can anyone please point me in the right direction to source the correct pump ( donar car spec year and engine size) I fully understand I need an interface kit for correct installation. TIA
I can help you,
Email me,
tdi2micron@yahoo.ca
Thank you,
Andrew

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Good news for people with the CP3 that want the fix. I got the fix yesterday and the dealer didn't say anything about the CP3 pump and not having an auxiliary pump. The adviser said they looked hard to find anything wrong with my car, but they couldn't find anything and said my car was in great shape. They were also amazed how clean my car was, considering it has over 153,000 miles. I'm a neat nut.

Of course that doesn't settle worries about warranty after the fact, but at least I'll have my check for the fix.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Good news for people with the CP3 that want the fix. I got the fix yesterday and the dealer didn't say anything about the CP3 pump and not having an auxiliary pump. The adviser said they looked hard to find anything wrong with my car, but they couldn't find anything and said my car was in great shape. They were also amazed how clean my car was, considering it has over 153,000 miles. I'm a neat nut.

Of course that doesn't settle worries about warranty after the fact, but at least I'll have my check for the fix.
That's great to hear!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk