AdBlue: tank consumed in 4,000 miles?

inderwies

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Long time reader, very infrequent poster. Here goes...

I have a 2013 Passat TDI SE with about 65,000 miles on the clock. It's been very methodically maintained by my dealer at each interval. Up until now, I hadn't even touched the DEF/AdBlue port - the dealer filled it at each 10,000 mile service. They top it off and of course charge me now that the initial warranty is up.

At around 48,000 miles (last summer) my turbocharger blew up. This was *right* after the warranty extension letter came in the mail. I had the same dealer make the repairs. I described this in the appropriate thread for the sake of science...

From about 45,000 to 60,000 I began to put the car in a different type of service... Uber/Lyft driving. This is like any other livery service... lots of city use, starts and stops. I try to limit idling as much as practical (no more than a minute or so.)

Only at around 60,000 miles did I receive my first low AdBlue warning. The dealer topped of the DEF at the scheduled service, no problem, all is well, right?

At about 63,800 I received another AdBlue warning. It ominously did the "starts will be disabled" countdown. Surely enough, the tank was dry. I bought the appropriate filler bottle and a 2.5 gallon jug and refilled it myself.

Sorry for the novel, but my question - would one really consume a tank's worth of DEF in under 4,000 miles, even with part-time livery driving conditions? I mentioned it to my service advisor and his response - "it will vary based on driving conditions." He mentioned some of the Touaregs gulp the stuff.

Maybe they just didn't fill the tank completely at 60K? Is it related to age? New turbo? Wondering what others have experienced.

(PS I'm pretty much done abusing my car for livery, but I wanted to try it out. The Passat is wonderful for it, but it doesn't compensate me enough to wear down a beautiful car.)

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
A full tank should last over 20k miles averaging low 40mpgs (adblue usage should be proportional to fuel). 2.5gallon (or 5 if it was full!) in 4k miles sounds extremely high unless you are averaging something like 10-15mpgs? (or leaving a trail of it down the road)

I'm guessing they only put one gallon in to get you back out of the refill notification zone and sent you on your way.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^my opinion, as well. You'll never get an accurate rate of consumption unless YOU fill the tank yourself.
Now that you have it filled, "drive more, worry less", unless your car tells you otherwise!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Your dealer probably didn't fill it all the way up last time.

Also, I'm of the opposite opinion on your idling practice... if I were an Uber driver with a TDI, I'd let it run instead of starting and stopping the engine constantly, but that's just me. :)

Sigforty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat w/DSG
I would question if the dealer filled it all the way up, or just dropped a .5-2.5 gallon jug in and called it a day.

As for usage, it is my understanding that low usage occurs if you are doing mainly light interstate/hwy driving. If you are doing a lot of stop and go with the livery work, that will increase usage significantly as you are putting more load on the engine. That said I though VW designed the 5 gallon capacity to go 10,000 miles, so the short usage was probably not on a full tank.

Additionally, you need to make sure you get some hwy trips in. If you do too much stop and go, the car may never complete a regen.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
You can watch for "regens" if you purchase a ScanGauge II and program it with to monitor your exhaust temps. Just do not shut it off during a regen noted by a higher exhaust #2 temp than usual at idle. You can also tell right now if you shut it off and the engine fan continues to run after the shutdown...... that usually means that you interrupted the regen.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Top the tank off and then report back, probably in 20K or so. ;)

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
IN VCDS...under engine 01/ goto advanced measurements, check off items 448 & 453
it'll show you how full is the tank....

Assuming you have a VCDS, and if you think she is beautiful, then you need to communicate with her...
for a long and lasting love....and VCDS will pay for itself in no time....

Last edited: