How long did your clutch last??????

jtnf

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 B7 Passat
679,000*0.6=407,400 miles...
I'd call that a good run! Almost double my 210,800ish miles (clutch still fine by the by.)

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
560 000km , the release bearing gave up. Although it had to be cut out with an angle grinder the wear surfaces did not look bad at all . Think there were three previous owners. Glen

MeOmYo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
2001 Golf, 230,000 miles throwout bearing fell apart and 2 teeth on pressure plate were missing. wear surfaces were still good.

yakfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI 5 Speed
I had a '98 jetta with 325,000 miles before it started to slip. I replaced the clutch on my current 06 jetta wagon at 188,000 kms due to a failed throwout bearing the clutch itself was still good but replaced it anyway since everything was apart. May not be relevant here but I also had a '04 VR6 GLI with 225,000 miles when I replaced the clutch on it last year. Master and slave cylinders needed replaced and did the clutch at the same time It was still in descent shape too.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Oh my first one slipped with chip and larger injectors at 80,000 miles, the Spec clutch on the OEM DMF lasted to 200,000 miles, now I have a South Bend Endurance on a solid steel flywheel.

Yes if you drive mainly long stretches the clutch will be happy. If you crank up the power like I did you learn to expect to have to replace clutches.

JettaTdiSport

TDI
2004 Jetta Tdi Sport
I'm at 130K km and the friction point is starting to move up. Plus it's been stuttering when cold, every winter. I've had the car for 6 years and I've put most of the mileage on it.

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
Our 03 is Still going 192k miles. I have a clutch/flywheel/pp on the shelf here waiting.... the DMF is starting to make a little noise but clutch still functions great. With resonable driving it doesnt seem like the clutches are the point of failure from what I have seen. Thats of the ones Ive had apart. ...407k is quite the run for sure. :)

Richy_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Replaced the clutch at somewhere around 120k miles, 30k after I bought the car. Went over to the single mass flywheel. Hoping it will last a while, I don't hit much traffic but I am a bit rough on the clutch sometimes.

white95v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5spd tdi 2003 jetta jw 5spd tdi
Man you guys have a lot of miles on those clutches crazy.

My wagon had 170k on it when I bought it I assume stock clutch. I installed a tune about 40k ago and my clutch has started to slip. Put stock tune back in and no slip maybe I can make it last alittle while longer. I do tow a john boat with this car. She now has 235k on it.

My sedan had 80k on it when I got it again I assume stock clutch. I installed a tune about 16 k ago and its clutch started to slip. Had to return it back to stock and no more clutch slip. Now with 185k on her.

Guess I got two stage 2 clutches are in my future lol.

Richy_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Careful there. My clutch was just starting to slip then I lent it to my wife for a few days. Long story short, when I pulled the transmission, there was 0 clutch material left.

So basically, don't lend your car to my wife.

Seriously, I mean, it can be surprising how quickly they can go.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Lol my car came with a very recent clutch but it's not handling the power so I've kinda killed it with a few thousand miles :D

The new uprated one is sitting beside me though

bta 120

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf 2013 Touareg 1948 Plymouth Special
01 Golf 424,00 km
It s gonna be soon hopefully not too soon just doin the head !
Timing belt broke .

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
01 Golf 424,00 km
It s gonna be soon hopefully not too soon just doin the head !
Timing belt broke .

Hmmmm must be a fair bit of extra room in there with the head etc out the way hint hint :D

amandanicole

TDI
2006 Jetta
Anyone have a Canadian price on these clutch replacements? Dealer told me $3000.....but I think he was trying to scare me away from the car I ended up buying (not on his lot obviously). 2006 jetta tdi shuttering every now and again ONLY in 3rd gear at steady speeds.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
436,000 miles on my clutch so far. All is good.

*Knocking on wood and crossing my fingers.*

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
340k km right now. There's been a creaking sound from the release bearing or pressure plate for the last 30k km, don't know how long it'll last.
If I downshift very late (low rpm) and release the clutch gently there's no sound so that's what I've been doing now, anything to prolong it's life, not too keen about replacing it...

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
426,000 miles before my DMF failed. Clutch disc still looked good though, and was nowhere near the rivet heads. I put a whole new LUK clutch/DMF assembly in anyway since I had to take it all apart.

-Rich

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
194,000 stock clutch, past 5,000+ miles have been on a Malone stage 3 tune and race520 nozzles.
Still holds(not strong), even after my beating it constantly.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
245k miles, starting to make a 'yelp' noise if I feather the clutch, esp. in wet weather. Not sure what that means but it's been doing that for a few years anyhow.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
Made it to 314k miles and the DMF puked. Still had material on the clutch, but changed it out with a solid flywheel.

Tap2112

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5sp (SOLD), 2002 Jetta GLS auto (gave to daughter), 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon 5 sp (SOLD), 2006 Jetta TDI PKG 2 with Nav
Careful there. My clutch was just starting to slip then I lent it to my wife for a few days. Long story short, when I pulled the transmission, there was 0 clutch material left.

So basically, don't lend your car to my wife.

Seriously, I mean, it can be surprising how quickly they can go.
Same thing happened to me. I was driving and noticed a little slipping occasionally. Then one night she drove the car and got stuck out in the middle of nowhere after dark when the clutch gave out. When our mechanic replaced the clutch he said the same thing...almost no clutch material was left at all. He couldn't believe it.

When these things go...they go. BTW, it was at just around 190K miles.