mufflerectomy increase power ?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
placebo effect.
I think the same thing. And i didn't see any dyno data in this thread at the moment... oh yeah, one butt dyno:rolleyes:
I remove and re-install both mufflers for inspections each year. I don't remove them for another reason than better sound. I never feel any power increase/decrease for doing it. Only improvement was when i removed cat, once GT18v turbo was installed, maybe it was clogged but i doubt it.

Problem with those snarky comments is people lost their 'appetence' of helping to the others, and that's an issue in forums. My hands are soiled in every car work, don't tell me/us crap please...

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
"BTW, comments about 'AUTHORITY' do not enhance ones standing."

Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but I was simply stating that it is simple fluid dynamics that pressure drop through a system is cumulative, meaning if you pull the muffler it will reduce the overall system pressure drop, obviously not by very much, but some. Thanks for the heads up though, I was pretty worried about my standings here.
Yes but if the exhaust system isn't restrictive in the first place, opening it up will not do much of a difference. The stock exhaust flows good enough unless your car is modded.
But it's so damn muffled that removing the silencer will only do good sound-vise :D

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I ditched mine because it was easier to have the car lose 40lbs than it was for ME to lose 40lbs :)
^^this

I hacked mine off as well, but I didn't do it for a hp/trq gain.. Sound alone was well worth it.
^^and this!\

That's why I did it. Love the sound, and love losing a big hulking pile of metal & soot to haul around. As for hp/tq gain, I highly doubt it - if anything, it's nothing to write home about. But it sounds nice if you run the tip out right to the rear and don't turn it down 90* (if you point it down, the sounds reflects off the ground - and if that's under the car, it reflects back into the car). The car is a bit loud when very cold and when coasting at >2700 RPM in gear. Other than that, it's nice!

01Bora

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I think the same thing. And i didn't see any dyno data in this thread at the moment... oh yeah, one butt dyno:rolleyes:
I remove and re-install both mufflers for inspections each year. I don't remove them for another reason than better sound. I never feel any power increase/decrease for doing it. Only improvement was when i removed cat, once GT18v turbo was installed, maybe it was clogged but i doubt it.

Problem with those snarky comments is people lost their 'appetence' of helping to the others, and that's an issue in forums. My hands are soiled in every car work, don't tell me/us crap please...
Practice what you preach. Looking forward to dyno postings.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
For all those worried about their standing please sit down lol.

As for the straight pipe, kinda sounds like a drunken Scot singing :D (Especially when you let off the throttle and get that turkey sound)

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Practice what you preach. Looking forward to dyno postings.
:D If you make some mod like that to the engine/car and you don't FEEL it, why you do care about dyno? what a stupid thing. Again, PLACEBO effect.
I won't preach anything more in noobs threads like this nevermore guy, don't care about my dynos, i know very well when a certain mod makes sense in my car, you do it?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

01Bora

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
:D If you make some mod like that to the engine/car and you don't FEEL it, why you do care about dyno? what a stupid thing. Again, PLACEBO effect.
I won't preach anything more in noobs threads like this nevermore guy, don't care about my dynos, i know very well when a certain mod makes sense in my car, you do it?:rolleyes:
Appreciate it. Your attitude is not helpful or convincing.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Appreciate it. Your attitude is not helpful or convincing.
That will be a pleasure for me, but
i don't like so much having to read stupid titles like in this thread again and again. Some people is posting incredible threads like that one about 450hp engine and some others, and other people still posting crap like this thread... is not easier to read old threads by experienced people(not me) before posting? I think the evolution runs on that way. If your mind isn't convinced with my words,i don't worry about it, you let the time and money to teach you...

I think my attitude was helpful before,not so much after yours. Your number of post/threads is convincing me about you.
Enjoy that placebo increase that mufflerectomy will gives you:D

Last edited:

01Bora

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
That will be a pleasure for me, but
i don't like so much having to read stupid titles like in this thread again and again. Some people is posting incredible threads like that one about 450hp engine and some others, and other people still posting crap like this thread... is not easier to read old threads by experienced people(not me) before posting? I think the evolution runs on that way. If your mind isn't convinced with my words,i don't worry about it, you let the time and money to teach you...
I think my attitude was helpful before,not so much after yours. Your number of post/threads is convincing me about you.
Enjoy that placebo increase that mufflerectomy will gives you:D
If this site is not operating the way you would like to see it perhaps you should start your own website. People are free to ask whatever questions they like here. If you would like to refer them to an older thread to avoid having the same conversation twice then post a link and kindly remind them to use the search function next time.
As for your last comment, I don't recall mentioning that mufflerectomy gives a HP increase. Thanks for assuming :rolleyes:. My point is simply that you have not shown any proof to back up your mouth.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Excerpt from the TDIclub FAQS.

6. Exhaust Modifications

It has been found that the noise level of a TDI engine is acceptable without any muffler at all. It is possible to cut out the standard mufflers (one or both of them) and replace them with either straight pipe sections or "resonators" or straight-thru low restriction performance-type mufflers. Alternatively, the entire system can be replaced aft of the catalytic converter. Some have experimented with the downpipe between turbo and catalyst, but with mixed results.

Installation: Welding required - not normally for the do-it-yourself mechanic.

Advantages: The less restriction you have downstream of a turbo, the lower the exhaust temperature will be, and the quicker the turbo will accelerate to deliver boost pressure. On Passat TDI's, which have a poorly-designed stock exhaust system, modifying the exhaust system can get rid of that annoying resonance at 1200 and 2400 rpm, with a bit of experimentation. An additional flex pipe downstream of the catalyst is reported to be successful.

Comments: Performance gains are fairly small to non-existent. Leave the catalyst in place, it has minimal impact on power (no more than 1 horsepower) - this is worth saving the environment for.

Disadvantages: Some authorities have legal requirements that a vehicle must have a muffler, so one may have to incorporate something that at least looks like a muffler even if it doesn't really do anything, to keep the authorities happy.

Cost factor: US$40 for replacing mufflers with straight pipe, to US$600 for a complete stainless steel "cat-back" exhaust system.

Cautions specific to this modification: It might take some experimentation to get rid of resonance at certain engine speeds which will vary depending on configuration.

Suggested modifications in parallel: Doesn't really matter. De-restricting the exhaust is a good thing to do on highly-tuned vehicles that need all the help they can get to reduce the exhaust temperature.

"Bang for the Buck": Rather lousy. In view of limited to non-existent horsepower gains, but theoretical improvement in exhaust temperature ... the less you spend on this, the better.

What if I want more? Do something that increases fuel delivery ...

END EXCERPT

Bill

nosmokenopoke

TDI
Stage 2 Seat Leon Cupra TDI (225bhp)
I'm a little late to this party, but just had a read through the comments about mufflerectomy performance gains and was surprised to hear people so adamantly claiming that none can be had from this simple mod.

This video shows our Leon being tuned last year. We first of all did back to back dyno runs with no air filter, K&N filter and stock filter which showed that the stock filter flows sufficiently and no performance gains were had from the K&N or empty airbox.

We then performed a mufflerectomy with back to back dyno runs and the results were rather surprising - see 3:25 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmIqOXxjQU

Removing the backbox gave us a power increase of just over 6bhp and 8lbft of torque. As I said, these were all dyno proven.

So perhaps your butt dyno isn't lying to you.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
If this site is not operating the way you would like to see it perhaps you should start your own website. People are free to ask whatever questions they like here. If you would like to refer them to an older thread to avoid having the same conversation twice then post a link and kindly remind them to use the search function next time.
As for your last comment, I don't recall mentioning that mufflerectomy gives a HP increase. Thanks for assuming :rolleyes:. My point is simply that you have not shown any proof to back up your mouth.
:D I'm running in this way for long time ago, you don't say me how it works please, since people like you write that kind of comments this forum goes to be bored.
I didn't see any data or proof from you or the thread owner, so i believe you have a huge mouth:cool:. I haven't to show you anything, if you don't want my 'help' i don't care about it, i don't care about arrogants, they just call you authority if you discuss them or ask you about dynos for that crappy mod!...what kind of idiots!

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Good god, let's just end this thread before we waste anymore valuable server space discussing such a stupid topic.

01Bora

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Bill, thanks for that excerpt.
Nosmokenopoke, very interesting to watch the dyno you posted. Food for thought.
Satiro: I do not understand some of what you are saying because of the broken english. But as shown again in your posting, you have an attitude problem that is extremely annoying. Try rereading the comments i have posted in this thread and show me where I wrote that i believe mufflerectomy gives a HP increase. Please! I cant find it myself.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
Idk about proven power and dynos or any of that. I know doing a mufflerectomy drops a few lbs (or kg if you prefer ) and it appears to have no ill effects so what the hell... off with it.

Between a mufflerectomy and clearing up the maintenance issues with my car it was significantly quicker. Quicker than new/stock? I dont know, but it was better than when i bought it.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I'm a little late to this party, but just had a read through the comments about mufflerectomy performance gains and was surprised to hear people so adamantly claiming that none can be had from this simple mod.

This video shows our Leon being tuned last year. We first of all did back to back dyno runs with no air filter, K&N filter and stock filter which showed that the stock filter flows sufficiently and no performance gains were had from the K&N or empty airbox.

We then performed a mufflerectomy with back to back dyno runs and the results were rather surprising - see 3:25 in the video.

Removing the backbox gave us a power increase of just over 6bhp and 8lbft of torque. As I said, these were all dyno proven.

On a stock 90 or 110hp TDI (VE) there's no increase in power with mufflerectomy.
Maybe the high end engines are different.
Nice car you have there!

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

Great Video!
I'm open to believing there is some gain with some vehicles. There wasn't anything noticeable with mine, and I still wouldn't recommend anyone remove the muffler for the purpose of a few extra hp, because I think most would be disappointed.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
Didnt click the link but i think i know whats on the other side. I think the answer is no.

The built in butt dyno and the vcds butt dyno often show quite different results. I think i tend to err on the side of data.

This being said i do think the mufflerectomy is a cool little entry level mod
Hp? Not so much. Even if it was the 3-5hp people want to hear, seriously? 5hp?
Fun? Yeah sure
cheap? Yes
Detrimental? No. Any ill effects at all? No

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I have a 98 jetta tdi with .205 nozzles. I'm been running with only the cat. and the suitcase muffler and then straight pipe out to the rear.

I just removed the suitcase a few days ago and replaced it with just exhaust pipe.

AND it is clear that that turbo spools up quicker.

Not sure if this equates to horsepower? - but at least my car is at least 15-20 lbs lighter being suitcase muffler free.;)

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I took my muffler off about a month ago, for sound reasons. I definitely like the sound better without it, more spool sound and a little rumble to it.

I was surprised at both of these items:

Car without muffler is not much louder at all
Stock muffler (02 Golf) is not nearly as heavy as it looks

toolongtospell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (170K)
One some other website I've been reading, people have stated that removing 10lbs is roughly a 1hp gain. So removing a 40lb muffler is MAYBE a 4hp gain. So there has to be some kind of gain by removing weight.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Weight of a vehicle and vehicle power output are to be in no way correlated with eachother.

Less weight will result in a higher trap speed and lower 1/4 mile times. Not more horsepower.