Tuning a CPO JSW and the Warranty

Howard2005

TDI
2005.5 Jetta 256Kmi, 2014 JSW DSG
Im seriously considering doing a Malone Stage 2 tune with DSG on my 2014 JSW. My major concerns are the five year emissions warranty, the CPO 24 month warranty and passing SMOG in California.

The 2014 after the fix has better power than my 2005 but considerable less FE.
Obviously Im wanting better performance and FE. That seems like a tall order.
Usually its a trade off.

One of the major tuners is tell me this....

"The EGR delete is purwly software based and the dealer can not see the tune itself. I have several custoners that have had transmission and turbos replaced under warranty and no issues thus far".

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Can have your cake and eat it too with a diesel, plenty of people making big power that get oem fuel economy or better, as long as they keep their foot out of it.

If your warranty is vital, it'd probably be best to leave the vehicle alone. Sure people are getting away with repairs on tuned cars, and VW's not really in a position to be lecturing people about unapproved software... but it's usually best to be honest with your technicians and tunes are potentially detectable.

The detection process is done through their diagnostic tools which automatically send data to the cloud, dealership has no control over it and needs to follow protocol to be paid on warranty work. Would avoid any rail pressure modifiers or basic tuning boxes, they could cause more serious issues since they're falsifying data to the ECU.

DSG software is not checked like the ECU, since they normally brute-force via obd and are only doing that when replacing mechatronics units or doing recalls.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What's your driving style like? San Diego isn't known for the best MPG.

Stop and go short jaunts just kills MPGs with anything with a DPF, a tune will just make you smile while getting the same MPG, def don't expect to get better MPG.

Does Cali do NOx sniffing or just opacity for tail pipe?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
but it's usually best to be honest with your technicians and tunes are potentially detectable.
As a technician (not for vw, but a HD diesel tech) I have to say I appreciate customers that are honest.

Howard2005

TDI
I drive like the old man that I am. With my 2005 TDI I average 40mpg. With the 2014 Im getting 34. I knew going in it would be less but really expected a 10% reduction.

Not sure what they check for on the newer diesels. On my old one they only look under the hood and plug in the computer. No tail pipe measurements.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
So you are really in the ballpark you expected to be just slightly more. The regens and city driving is what is probably driving that. All highway would probably pop you right up there substantially. Regens in town are way more frequent and use more fuel. Expect about every 200 miles or so and ten minutes duration each time.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I got 28-32 consistently with a dsg stock dpf car doing some testing, about 3000 miles of pure city use plus the odd dyno run. Bigger turbo and wasn't treating it very nice. Usually 38-42 with my BEW through the same route, so about the same as you.

CR runs great and gets similar mileage to the bew now that the turbo is free :p

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
A delete may help that city mileages the best, but you'll never prob crack 40+ unless you take decent highway trips. Obviously you're not terribly concerned about longer warm up times with loss of EGR won't do anything but help your car.

Howard2005

TDI
Thanks for all your input guys!! Im convinced I want to do the tune but I think Im going to wait until the CPO 24 month warranty expires.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
LOL...I got my 2015 Passat tuned no warranty other than the "fix" warranty on emission components.....(thinking I never go to the dealer anyway).

Then I get an air bag recall....been thinking should I or should I not (haven't yet)...then I get a headlight adjustment screw cap (missing) recall...

Only concern would be the exploding shrapnel airbag......still haven't brought her in......

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They can't really refuse those recalls. But they probably will scan and check it and mark it TD1 for any engine and/or emissions work.