Valet Key?

TURBO9

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon, 00 Jetta sedan
I Recently bought my tdi and it came only with a single key that has a wrench printed on it. This key will unlock the doors, and run the ignition, but it will not open the hatch, or the glovebox. Is this some kind of valet key? Will I have to go to a dealer to get a regular one made to open the hatch?

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now. Former: 00 Jetta, 01 NB
Yes its a valet key. This key is the same as a regular key except for it being thicker. Anyone got a grinder???

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Yep, that's the valet key.

New from the factory, it would have come with two folding keys that are "masters" that will open everything.

While some have gotten key units from EBay, had them cut, and then programmed them with a VAG-COM, you might do better getting one through a dealer if you're not sure about doing the programming yourself.

Be advised, though, that the "switchblade" key will run a couple hundred bucks out the door.

Rob

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
I Recently bought my tdi and it came only with a single key that has a wrench printed on it. This key will unlock the doors, and run the ignition, but it will not open the hatch, or the glovebox. Is this some kind of valet key? Will I have to go to a dealer to get a regular one made to open the hatch?
I'd be suspicious. A valet key, as the name suggests, is a key given to other people than owner. I'd check twice the paperwork on the car before buying.

dr_canak

TDI
2000 Golf TDI : Silver
It was a Valet Key for me to, exactly as you describe. The one thing I always thought was stupid was that it really just prevents access to the glove box. Once in the car, you can always use the remote trunk/hatch unlock to get back there.

hth,
jeff

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Unless the button in the door is locked as well

From looking at my keys, it looks like the valet key can be modified to work as a normal key. When I get home I can take some pics to show the difference between the two.

-Jason

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
The stealership I bought my car from got me on that one. "Since we are giving you such a great deal we are not going to give you more than this one key. You can buy another at a VW dealership for about $50." I did get a great deal but when I found out what I couldn't do with the valet key and how much the 'real' keys would cost I had a cow. I went as far as giving them a copy of the original newspaper ad that listed two fobs and a valet key as part of the package, but they had written the lack of keys in the deal and wouldn't budge. They have a sister dealership that is VW so I contacted the service manager there and told him the story. He agreed I really needed a 'real' key and contacted the other dealership on my behalf. Apparently they told him to get bent as they had done to me. He called me back and told me what happened, but told me also of a closer dealership to me that he would make 'arrangements' with to get me a key made. That local dealership had a real bad reputation locally and I was a bit trepidatious about going there, but I finally did. The service writer had been informed of the situation and was willing to help. He would get me a key and fob, including programming for $70. I asked him what he would charge for a second key and fob with programming and he quoted me $50 or so. He would simply charge the rest to the other dealership. They ended up ordering keys and fobs from VWoA and about a week later I had the complete set of keys for my car. He did not charge me at the time because he said it would be tough to collect on the rest if I paid any part of it. He would collect from the other dealership first and contact me for the balance later.

Three months went by and I never heard another word. I finally contacted that service writer and asked him what happened. He told me they were never paid a dime and that unfortunately I would need to pay the entire amount. Of course he would only charge me the dealership rates for the keys, fobs, and programming. This was still going to be about $250 if I remember correctly.

I was a bit miffed by all of this and used the service writer's phone to contact the other VW dealership about 200 miles north of him. The service manager remembered me and about blew an artery when I told him that the sister dealership had never paid their portion of the bill. He asked to call me back in a few minutes as he had some butts to chew. In about 15 minutes he contacted me back and told me that it would be taken care of on the spot. I gave the phone back to the service writer who was given a PO number on the spot. I don't know what the VW service manager said to the original dealership, but I ended up getting the whole mess for free. I then promptly chewed out the service writer for not contacting me sooner when the bill wasn't paid.

That local dealership has turned out to be one of the best dealerships I have ever dealt with in my life. They have bent over backwards at every dealing with them and have gone above and beyond every time I have gone there for any reason.

Anyone in the Twosun, AZ area in need of service they can't perform themselves, or for warranty work should go see the guys at Beaudry VW on East 22nd. Those guys are awesome and really try hard to get things right the first time. I also must commend the manager of the VW dealership related to the place I bought my Jetta from, if not for his kick-butt attitude I could have paid a lot for my VW keys.

I am not sure this story will help you much, but I might be inclined to go back to the seller of the car and put some pressure on them. Have them contact most any VW dealership and ask if those keys are really required for those cars. If it's a VW dealership I would be all over them like smell on excrement.

YMMV--(And the cost of keys.)

Mike

TURBO9

Veteran Member
TDI
Can I get a FOB key off E-bay with a blank, uncut key, have it cut by a locksmith off of my valet key, then have the FOB programmed by someone I know with Vag-Com? Someone told me the pattern on the valet key was slightly different and the copy would not work in the hatch or glovebox still. Is the pattern slightly different, or is the key just thicker? Am I really going to be saving any money by getting a used FOB off of E-bay and having it cut at a locksmith?

Thanks

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Here's a pic comparing my normal key and vale key. Look at the tip of the key. They are slightly different.

The notch on the vale key has a much steeper angle, and it starts further over.

-Jason

TURBO9

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so key cut is different between the FOB key and the valet key. I only have a valet key, so what are my options for getting a FOB style key cut? Am I stuck going to the dealership and paying a small fortune for them to look up the pattern and cut it?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Well, as far as I can see the only difference is the tip, and it is a small one. Using my pic as a guide perhaps the locksmith could modify the vale key into a normal key

-Jason

brucerv

TDI
GLS, 00
I'm in the same boat; I only have a valet key (yet to see the inside of my trunk!)
A used remote and uncut blank are on the way from ebay.

My auto windows and alarm don't work with the valet key. My interior lights won't come on when entering through the drivers door.
Is this normal?
Should I proceed to cut the blank ($15 from dealer) and reprogram the remote & transponder, or is my door lock cylinder broken?

Thanks.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
by just looking at those 2 keys it looks like the valet key has wider grooves and maybe not as deep.and why can't you look in the trunk?? are the back seats locked??

brucerv

TDI
GLS, 00
Both seat backs are locked, so is the remote switch on the door panel. Luckily the glove box was unlocked, and the SKC was in there.

Don't wan't to cut the new key, though, only to find out the the cylinder needs replacement. Or won't it matter - if I need a new cylinder, keys will come with it, anyway?

warrenite

TDI
2000 Jetta, TDI
This is interesting, wonder how long it takes for the body hidden the trunk to start smelling....

Now, seriously I was talking to the service manager at the local VW shop a while back, he happened to mention that you can get a master key that does not have the fob, it's just a normal key, this could be a cheaper option. I'll ask how much a like this would cost and post it here.

gee_dubya

TDI
1999.5 Jetta, Black
I was in the same boat--bought a used VW and only got one valet key. This is what I did:

Bought another blank key from a local locksmith and a keyfob off of ebay with an uncut blank. Had the locksmith cut both keys and then programmed the keyfob myself. You can program the keyfob without a VAG-COM if you have two working valet keys. Fortunately my Jetta is a 99.5 and doesnt have a 'chip' in the keys.

brucerv

TDI
GLS, 00
My valet key makes the lights and windows work
I was afraid of that

Looks like, not the lock cylinder (so I can keep any cut keys), but the door lock mechanism that needs repair

I wonder if I'll even be able to program the remote until I fix the mechanism? Oof.

brucerv

TDI
GLS, 00
The groove pattern is the same on a valet and master key.
According to the local dealer, you can cut a master key by copying a valet key. He claimed the master key is thicker.
Nope. I measured. Both keys are .117in thick.

The difference is in the slot on both edges of the key.
(A valet blank, and a master blank are different).
The slot on the master is about half the thickness of the key (.063in). Whereas the slot on the valet is much thinner (.030in).

Makes sense. That's why the valet key won't even go in. The edge rail is too thick.