Timing Belt Age

CornDog73

TDI
2011 JSW
I know the maintenance schedule states 130k for timing belt, but my TDI is 8 years old (it's a 2011 model) with 43k on the odometer. Should I consider replacing it? Thank you for any advice.

TDI
MK6 Golf M6
I’d replace it honestly. I bought my 2011 with 145000kms (not sure what that works out to in miles), but I pulled the timing cover off and took a look at the belt. Didn’t look terrible, but I still replaced it. Timing belt is a lot cheaper to do then replacing a head or block.
I bought a full timing belt kit from Rockauto, with the metal impeller water pump, think my total was $316 Canadian. Dealer charged me just shy of 600 to put it in.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
When was the emissions fix applied? The engine is covered by the extended warranty that comes with the fix. I'd wait until the warranty is nearly expired before giving it any thought.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
I have a kids 04 Focus wagon 137000kms/85000mi with a change interval of 120000miles. Maybe I will be conservative and change the belt at 100000 miles if they don't destroy it before then.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
If you are thinking about doing it its cheap insurance, you can rent the special tools and with a bit of patience and basic hand tools (plus the triple square drivers) you can do it in your driveway. check out the instructions on my turbo diesel or the guide here, Ive done 2 and its real straightforward. As you do not know if the car got its 45000 miles sitting in traffic on the 405 baking in the sun or getting driven to town by grandma once a week in the middle of rural temperate America, there really is no telling how hard a life your timing belt has lived. I would guess with tool rental, coolant and a kit you can DIY for less than 450.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The timing belts on the common rail tdi's are of extremely durable carbon aramid and Kevlar construction. The few failures I've heard about were caused by a failed serpentine belt that derailed the tb. In general, tdi tb failures are mostly caused by failed tensioners, water pumps, and rollers- not a degraded belt. I don't know how much of a factor age is in degradation of those parts, but I suspect it's not a lot.

It'll be fine, run it, don't worry about it. If it hits a decade since leaving the factory before you hit the mileage, then I'd go ahead and change it.
Every CBEA and CJAA timing belt I have taken off, even those with far beyond the mileage interval, looked perfectly fine. Looks don't tell you a whole lot, especially on these newer belts with the textured back side.
Obviously be aware of things like any strange noises, as well as the condition of the accessory belt, and if for some reason you need to go in there for something then you may end up doing it sooner (seeping water pump, for instance) but otherwise I'd just enjoy the car.

Last edited: