Trunk release switch doesn't work

tdi rider

TDI
'01 golf
Just bought 2003 Jetta and switch on the door panel doesn't open the trunk. I can open it with remote control and if I use the key in the trunk lid key hole without any problem. I did search these forums and found some information that valet key must be put in in the ignition and master key into the lock next to the button on the door panel. Then trunk release button must be pressed for 5 seconds. This suppose to re-learn the function. I tried that with no avail.
Also I purchased new button at the dealership and it still didn't work.
I feel like it's programming issue and wonder if anyone knows how I can fix it. I would hate to go to the dealer and ask them to reprogram it.

lekolite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
The switch isn't locked out is it?

Related story: I had a clump of snow fall into my driver door switches when I opened it during a snowstorm. It melted and got into the trunk switch. When I went out the next day and got in I heard the release repeatedly cycling. I had to lock it out for a few days so it could dry out and I could drive without the trunk open.

tdi rider

TDI
'01 golf
It was in the clockwise position and I turned it 90 degrees counter clockwise, but still no luck. I tried every possible combination. When I press it, I don't hear any sounds at all. Same thing when I tried brand new switch.

bchaszar

TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
Wondering if you ever got a fix to this -- I'm experiencing the exact same problem. 2002 Golf, Key works, FOB button works, but door panel switch nothing.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
There's no programming for the switch in the door. It's plug in and it should work. If it doesn't, may be a broken wire in the door harness in the hinge. I'll need to refer to a wiring schematic.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It's a simple copper leaf switch directly wired to the trunk solenoid that tends to oxidize over time...pry it out, give 'er a small shot of DeOxit...95% chance problem solved.

Spray the fuel door switch too while you are there. :)

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk