View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:34   #17
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm2232 View Post
so what i'm being told is that it is more efficient to push the accelerator to the floor and rev the engine up? i was always told that gradual accelerations, shifting at 1800-2100 will yield the best MPG's. I feel that in testing, if i drive more conservatively, i get better mileage. should i raise my IQ to reduce smoke under heavy acceleration? i just can't believe that faster acceleration and higher RPM's will not hurt fuel economy.
Yup, holds true even on a 747.

You burn less fuel to get to altitude at full climb power than at a reduced climb power setting. (We have three settings to choose from).

Full climb power reduces the time to climb, getting you to altitude faster and reducing the total fuel consumption. Also just like a TDI a jet engine has a near identical efficiency
map (lean burn engine just like a diesel).

The drawback is that the engines run at a higher power setting which can account for some reduction in service life (could be a factor on a $18M engine times 4), not that this is ever a concern on a stock or modified TDI engine.

For a TDI you want to get up to speed quickly and reduce the time spent in the less efficient rpm/load ranges.

Nice compilation!

Last edited by Drivbiwire; November 19th, 2011 at 05:36.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06538 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.84 Kb. compressed to 15.11 Kb. by saving 1.73 Kb. (10.29%)]