Vendor Accountability Thread

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
^ the Cherry's powertrain was loosely based on BL's A-series (from the Mini) and you can do the clutch on the Mini in a similar-ish manner.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Did a clutch job on my B4 in my driveway - no different than an A4, just different mounts - transmission is pretty well the same.

I don't get the reluctance - a transmission is a transmission, clutch is a clutch.

B4 tranny is a walk in the park compared to some I've done.
Not even close to the same. No way, No how.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Not even close to the same. No way, No how.
Yeah, that rear mount is a pain, but it's not that bad...

The rest is the same - same flanges, same bellhousing bolts...

Maybe the rigid wheel well skirt makes it a bit harder, but there isn't that much more room to get the transmission out of an A4.

'Sides, you can just bend it out of the way. :D

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Thanks Charlie!

Just had a good dealing with Charlie (thechooleyman) and wanted to post my feedback. He was very responsive, and delivered in a timely manner. Will definitely do business with him again.

Justin

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Thanks for a great reply!

Powerstrokeless is right to complain about a leak from a specific job that he hired that shop for. It doesn't sound like it was some addendum to a job. PDWorks doesn't want to stand by his work because Suddenly it's a B4 (surprise!). Well too bad, don't take the job, don't feel bad for the client, Don't keep getting paid for these continued works in progress. the TDI members who prefer independent shops seemed to be his money till he decided to transition to BMW/Porsche (hah). Now he's fancy. Finish up a mistake and wash your hands from tdi's. But don't leave the guy hanging.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to have it fixed.....
But for someone that hates my B4, I don't want his help.

Also would be nice to know the above, so that I would not waste my time with someone that does not like to work on VW's. I am shocked about people and their "honesty!"

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Yeah, that rear mount is a pain, but it's not that bad...

The rest is the same - same flanges, same bellhousing bolts...

Maybe the rigid wheel well skirt makes it a bit harder, but there isn't that much more room to get the transmission out of an A4.

'Sides, you can just bend it out of the way. :D
LOL there's a mile of room in a 4 cylinder 2wd mk4 compared to a B4.. I can routinely do a mk4 clutch in under 3 hours if things don't fight with me (frozen hardware etc)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Story of my life.
The difference is, you have a B4 and more, + a passion thereof, and you may be more honest? and do what you say? oh, that means honorable...
+ I am thinking you help friends in need?
You are correct on all accounts, got one in the garage now getting a flex pipe, inner tie rod end, brakes and caliper, trailer hitch install, oil change, power steering flush, brake flush, and that now has an electrical issue so the fans stay on (just love those). The difference is that I'm not a mechanic so I can pick and choose what I do (which my wife says I'm horrible at), but I try to hold up my obligations. Sometimes I forget things, which I worry about, and need reminding of after a period of time.

But yes, if I told you I'll do something, then I'll do it.

Honestly though, I don't see what the hate is about for the B4's, they're very simple platforms.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I don't get the hate either. There weren't any difficult jobs on the B4. Simple to work on.

Except maybe the heater core. Satan designed that.

jasonTDI

TDI
And the Rear shocks in a B4V. Too darn much disassembly.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
?

I don't get the hate either. There weren't any difficult jobs on the B4. Simple to work on.

Except maybe the heater core. Satan designed that.

I need the love, working on my B4v!

Not happy that Satan was a designer in these cars though!!!!!!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
This isn't my fight, but, I feel like I have *two* dogs in this one. I know both of you, you both know me, and I know you both are good guys that mean well and have the right goals in mind. You both are long time forum members who are always at the edge of performance and modifications and have been supremely valuable to the club throughout the years. Neither of you are thieves or crooks, and I always enjoy talking to both of you.

What I can say is this - your situation has gotten toxic. It isn't helping and it isn't healthy - you are both so tied up in stress and anger that no one is communicating. There needs to be a better way to get through this.

MAX - I agree with you that you put out a LOT of money and have been waiting a long time. I understand that Whitbread has had your money and parts and this has gone on too long. I understand that there have been big personal changes recently for Whitbread. I know there should be a personal/business divide, but, when people are self-employed the personal does play a factor. I also understand that Whitbread has invested time and money in parts on this project.

Whitbread - I want to see this project finished and in MAX's car, and I'm sure you agree. I know that you've spent a lot of money on parts for this project - parts which aren't returnable or refundable. I also know that going forward will require more parts and time. You've had other things on your plate, but MAXRPM has suffered too. He's been without a lot of money and, more importantly, unable to realize the goals he had for his vehicle. MAXRPM brought this special project to you for a reason and only you can make it a reality.

I don't know the way forward, but it will require both of you to dig deep and give the "other guy" another chance. If I can be of service for that I'd be happy to, you know my number.

** edited to remove names **

Spoke to Cory and he could he would try to help settle this issue, he said he'd contact
Him and would let me know.

Appriciate your help

R

ehanc69

TDI
2001, 2003
This Whitbread cat reminds me of Johnny Manziel because when I do a cursory search for him on here all I find is pics of his lakeside property and an intent to go jet skiing on the weekend. I am pretty sure facebook is for jet ski plans and TDIclub for gnarly or not so TDi discourse. Killer TDi work is like winning the Heisman when you are a Freshman and now look at Johnny Football. Thanks for the heads up MAXRPM! From LA to SF truly is a beautiful drive. I am so glad Whitbread never got back to me re my text, gmail, and/or PM inquiries.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
This Whitbread cat reminds me of Johnny Manziel because when I do a cursory search for him on here all I find is pics of his lakeside property and an intent to go jet skiing on the weekend. I am pretty sure facebook is for jet ski plans and TDIclub for gnarly or not so TDi discourse. Killer TDi work is like winning the Heisman when you are a Freshman and now look at Johnny Football. Thanks for the heads up MAXRPM! From LA to SF truly is a beautiful drive. I am so glad Whitbread never got back to me re my text, gmail, and/or PM inquiries.
he got me and still taking me for a ride, still no resolution to my case he just kidnapped my $ parts and so on,,, He may not be getting in this forum but I am sure he is in another.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Wow, still nothing, that's sad.

Looks like he was last on here, or signed in, Aug 25/16.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I do no know Matt but understand his talents/abilities & understand he has a full plate. Being self employed with family and life pressures taking priority & time and building to the point of overwhelming and getting so far behind that it is embarrassing & is easier to ignore a client rather than call, I understand how situations like this develop. Hopefully, it can be worked out.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I do no know Matt but understand his talents/abilities & understand he has a full plate. Being self employed with family and life pressures taking priority & time and building to the point of overwhelming and getting so far behind that it is embarrassing & is easier to ignore a client rather than call, I understand how situations like this develop. Hopefully, it can be worked out.

Ignore a client yes,,, but not when a client has given him around 3.5K in parts and $$ and please guide me to the equation how to work it out???? I have been dealing and looking for a solution on this issue over a year and he just continue ignoring all my calls,, only time he texted me was about 6 months ago and asked me to give him 1K more to finish project??? go figure!!! a self employed person does NOT do this type of business to his clients taking them for a ride,,,

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
sorry double post

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
double Sorry triple post

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Seems like there have been some bad experiences and some good ones!

I have a few positive experiences to share:

1) PG Performance - Surrey, BC. They deal with all VAG cars.
Paul is extremely knowledgeable and goes the extra mile to service customers. I would recommend him and their shop for OE and aftermarket parts.

2) HPA Motorsports - Langley, BC. They deal with VAG cars and do a BEW into a Jeep conversion as well.
Marcel and his team are "top notch" when you need some work done. His guys are meticulous and it shows in the work they do.
I would recommend them for supply and installation and manufacturing of performance upgrades.

I know what Bob S. is saying and you tend to want to cut a bit of slack for someone who is trying to make it but overwhelmed. However, it is very important that the customer isn't forgotten in this case. You just can't ignore the calls, your business will not survive cause people will talk and will go elsewhere.

So for all the vendors that are looking at this thread, please answer your phone and give spenders the time of day. We will most likely understand the issue(s) and work with you towards a solution.

jasonTDI

TDI
Hoping 2017 I'd get all my parts and $ that i invested with Matt Whitbread, still no show and only BS, so far
Pathetic. Really it is. He may not like me saying so but I don't care. Do business right or don't do it.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
I think everyone should take heed as the TDI market contracts. There will be some enormous pressures on parts suppliers.

Most of the suppliers started with a tailwind of new Internet access and the absolute USA diesel boom that was the mkiv. Now they just had the carpet pulled from beneath them as years of diesels were removed overnight, fresh builds were halted and old stock TDI's continue to shrink.

I'd expect the suppliers to both reduce in number and continue to expand range to different marques. There will be at least a little collateral damage as the suppliers get culled back.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
Thanks for the macro perspective. Probably too early to be looking for the barn yard tdi find, but I think you are spot on.

jasonTDI

TDI
You guys have no idea what it did to the small shops....when you go from 50 CR's a month to 3....you go back to the old cars for work or work you would have passed on. Class action suits should have covered the losses of the shops for the fraud committed.

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
Pathetic. Really it is. He may not like me saying so but I don't care. Do business right or don't do it.
This.

Life moves pretty fast, just picked up an old PM from Jason he'd returned months ago, about TB work. We were both swamped.

Accountability keeps a service based industry doors open. It's a domino effect into a person's business and life. Positive accountability, as Jason has, helps keep these cars rolling.

Timing is everything and hopefully this missing $3500 Whitbread has made off with, returns to the owner.