TDI Injector Pump Repair or Replace

TimBob

TDI
2001 VW Jetta
My 2001 Jetta has an injector pump problem. I had to prime it to get the car started 2 days ago. The mechanic says it needs work. Online gasket kits are pretty cheap but what's the chance that is where its losing its prime. Rebuilds are $$$expensive ($1200.00 with core charge). What would you guys do? I'm thinking of searching junk yards for a replacement. I found a used engine (80,000 miles) for $3200.00. I need advise, thanks:eek:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Put the three easily accessible seals in the IP. Easy to do with the dieselgeek kits and his instructions. Slow and careful is the ticket when doing this.

When you buy a junkyard IP, you may be getting something worse than you already have.

You also have the option of seeing Growler (Reynoldsburg area) or Jon Hamilton (Marysville area) to let them do the work.

TimBob

TDI
2001 VW Jetta
Cheapest first step

Thanks, I ordered a seal kit from Dieselgeek and saved his online instructions. According to the instructions the pump stays on the vehicle for the seal replacement. Should be pretty straightforward. Hopefully a seal replacement will fix the pump losing its prime. I'm not in my prime, but that's another situation. Thanks again.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
paramedick said:
Put the three easily accessible seals in the IP. Easy to do with the dieselgeek kits and his instructions. (snip)
__. Yeah, the short answer is that some things you can fix. Leaking air is often one of these (as PM indicates above). But - on the other hand - there are some things that you can't repair (internal wear, broken parts, etc.) and these require a full rebuild. And, yes, that's expensive. But the symptoms you describe usually can be fixed by a simple seal replacement.

__. But loss of prime is more often from problems outside the fuel pump. Are you *sure* that it's a pump problem? If there's an air leak in the fuel lines, a perfectly good pump will draw in air and loose prime. I think that making sure of this is the first thing you need to do.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
mrGutWrench said:
__. But loss of prime is more often from problems outside the fuel pump. Are you *sure* that it's a pump problem? If there's an air leak in the fuel lines, a perfectly good pump will draw in air and loose prime. I think that making sure of this is the first thing you need to do.
Is the pump wet with fuel on the outside, giving telltale evidence of a leak? If the pump if peeing fuel out of the seams between pump sections, then new seals are needed. OTOH, if the pump is totally DRY on the outside and there's no visible evidence of leaks, the seals may be OK. Check the fuel filter, the "T" fitting on the filter and the O-rings, and fuel lines. Check the easy stuff first.

Good luck.

TimBob

TDI
2001 VW Jetta
Checking fuel lines

Besides looking for leaks along the fuel line, is there another way to check a fuel line (are these in a chase way or visible under the vehicle)? Thinking back I have smelled diesel fuel around the vehicle, but this is my first diesel and I thought that might be normal. One of the braided hoses that goes from cylinder to cylinder has a crack in it, but I don't think those are under pressure since they are just fabric braided hoses. Thanks for all your help, I'm feeling less lost.