Engine Shutoff Solenoid Open/Short to Ground

The Trouts

Veteran Member
TDI
was Bio-Pod <sniff>
The car died yesterday, but restarted fine today with the following code:

17946 P1538 Engine Shutoff Solenoid Open or short to ground
P1538-35-10 Intermittent

Anybody seen this before or have ideas on how to narrow this down?

I am hesistant to take this car into traffic until I figure this out.

Yesterday's post with symptoms

Intermittent sucks! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Thanks

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Check the wire connection to the fuel cutoff solenoid on the injector pump. There is a single wire going to the solenoid. If I had a closeup pic of this area of the injector pump, I'd post it. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic.

The fuel cutoff solenoid is used to shut off fuel to the final stage of the injector pump to shut down the engine. When the engine is "on", there is +12V applied to the solenoid. When the engine is "off", there is 0V applied to the solenoid. The single wire supplies +12V to the solenoid. The electrical return path is the body of the pump and the engine ("ground").

The hardware securing the wire to the solenoid may be loose. It's real easy to check it and tighten if necessary.

The solenoid itself may be failing if the connection checks out OK. These solenoids are very reliable but some have failed. The solenoid is supposedly the same part that has been used on nearly all VW Diesels going back to the old VW Rabbit Diesels of the late 70's. It's actually a Bosch part.

There have also been a few failures where the O-ring gasket moves out of place and causes the solenoid to stick in the open or closed position (not an electrical problem). Since yours threw a code saying there's a intermittent electrical connection, check the wire connection to the solenoid.

Maybe someone else can chime in and post a pic of the pump and point to the fuel cutoff solenoid.

Just my $0.02 worth. Hope this information helps.

~ n1das

Black 2002 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed
86k miles and climbing!

The Trouts

Veteran Member
TDI
was Bio-Pod <sniff>
Thanks for the response,

I checked, briefly, the connection to the solenoid and saw no obvious looseness.

Is the solenoid fairly easy to replace?

Might a faulty/flaky relay or something "upstream" be sending a signal to shut down the solenoid, and yet result in this code?

I am thinking that I should remove the VA smart box upstream, and check the electrical connection where it plugs in. Any other thoughts on things my VagCom could check? How about an ignition switch?

Thanks again.

Bob

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Probably worth posting this in the A4 General Maintenance or A4 TDI General Discussion areas....to give your posting some better visibility and get help from the experts.

The solenoid is easy to replace. It unscrews from the injector pump housing. Unfortunately, I don't have the solenoid P/N or a pic to post.

Intermittent electrical problems can be a real PITA to troubleshoot. Fortunately a Diesel is a lot easier to troubleshoot than a modern gasser! LOL.

Check the solenoid electrical connection all the way back to the ECU. Probably one of the wiring harness connections has loosened up.

Just my $0.02 worth.

~ n1das

Black 2002 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed
86k miles and climbing!

The Trouts

Veteran Member
TDI
was Bio-Pod <sniff>
Thanks again n1das

I am armed with a jumper, and determination, and hope to get the car to my house tonight.

aloha

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
At the EGR connector...Check the wires inside the plastic conduit. About 5 month ago..I had a Jetta that also had this same code...when I found were some damaged wires inside the conduit.

Hope this helps you,

The Trouts

Veteran Member
TDI
was Bio-Pod <sniff>
Thanks Herm TDI,

I'm not real sure what you mean by EGR connector.

Do you mean the connector coming from the Electronic Control Module that head to the fuel injection pump?

Thanks,

Bob