Current buy back timeline?

Ssmsx

TDI
Q7
Just checking to see how buybacks are going for people who submitted recently. I submitted everything and it was approved on 6/21. I’m still on step 15. Just checking to see if the process is going quicker than it was before.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We're just about to pick an appointment date to turn in our Passat.....but we've been at that stage (whatever it is) for the better part of two years (we chose to drive a really cheap car for a while, then turn it in for most of what we paid new. After the first big rush of registrations were past, I went on line and got all the paperwork done, took about 15 minutes. All that was left was to log back in, choose a date, and do it. Looks like at our local dealer I can do it on the 17th or 24th of this month. If we get our new car Monday or Tuesday, I'd like to do it on the former, but whichever.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
I was planning on the fix, until they started selling the fixed ones CPO, 2 years everything covered, plus the emissions warranty. It's hard to pass up turning in 1 car and getting 2. So I had them reset the car back to step 8 I think it was. I had to wait a day or two to get the reset to go through, and then I picked the buyback. That was 7/5, so I'll see when the offer comes through. Last time (late 2017) it was about a week for the fix offer.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
All that was left was to log back in, choose a date, and do it. Looks like at our local dealer I can do it on the 17th or 24th of this month. If we get our new car Monday or Tuesday, I'd like to do it on the former, but whichever.

If you choose a date, is it easy to reschedule it to a later date (in case you don't have your replacement yet)?

NewEngland

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I just submitted all my documents on July 1. On July 2 they wanted my previous registration, which luckily I had. On July 5 they said my original registration was incorrect - it's not. On July 6 they asked for "Proof of Vehicle Acquisition." I would think the Title would be sufficient but it looks like now they want a Bill of Sale. It seems like they have time on their hands are are poking me with a stick.

Ssmsx

TDI
Q7
I finally received my offer letter 07/09. It’s dated 6/21..I immediately sent back the notarized pages. Just waiting for them to be approved now

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I got all checkmarks in step 15 yesterday, so likely today or tomorrow will have the offer. Notary is in town, so no issue getting that done, only issue is what the openings are at the dealer, but they seem to get quite a few in, the storage lot they put them in empties and fills again in about a week, so it looks like they move a lot of them through, which may be good or bad.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you choose a date, is it easy to reschedule it to a later date (in case you don't have your replacement yet)?
Yeah, I made my appointment last evening. It turned out that the dates for July had disappeared, so I made one for the first date in August (the 7th). After you set up the appointment, it's got a button at the bottom to cancel if rescheduling is needed.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally received my offer letter 07/09. It’s dated 6/21..I immediately sent back the notarized pages. Just waiting for them to be approved now
Must have been the July 4 holiday. I just got the offer package late today, so 4th business day after I sent in the documents for step 15. Off to get the notary done and get the date listing so I know how much time I have for my wife to pick her car out.

Ssmsx

TDI
Q7
Have your notarized documents been accepted yet? I sent them back on the 9th and still haven’t heard anything

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Have your notarized documents been accepted yet? I sent them back on the 9th and still haven’t heard anything
They were uploaded yesterday, late afternoon. I'll update when I hear something.

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG - sold to VW
I am currently in the process of going through the buyback process, and it has gone reasonably smoothly so far.

One hint for anyone that owns their car (payed off the loan), and lives in a state where they switched to E-Titles (like Florida). Make sure you either request the title from the state before you start the process, or allow for time to get the title after you start the process. It took me a week to receive the title after I started the process.

Once I had the title to scan and upload, then the process went pretty quickly. I had the settlement agreement notarized hours after it was available, and the whole process from uploading the last of my documents (the title) to scheduling an appointment was 8 calendar days.

As others have pointed out, the dealers are only scheduling the buybacks one day a week, and the earliest I could make an appointment was three weeks out.

So for me, the timeline was 1 week to wait for title from state, 1 week and 1 day for VW to process the paperwork, and three weeks until first available appointment. So a total of roughly five weeks from beginning to end (assuming the actual buyback appointment goes smoothly on my scheduled day). Plus whatever time it takes to receive the money from VW at the end.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I did a trade for a "new" 2016 TDI Touareg,and the system work very well. Took 10 days from the approval to set a trade date. Took and hour at the dealer to do a video car scan, check all doc s and do the deal. Quite an easy program.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
At about 24 hours after the notarized upload, was approved, and can now schedule. The closest dealer is doing 1 day a week, another 2 miles further (opposite direction) does 3 days a week, and there are 3 more within 4 miles total distance from the house, so I can basically pick any day of the week starting from 2 weeks out, just a matter of which direction to go from the house.

Ssmsx

TDI
Q7
At about 24 hours after the notarized upload, was approved, and can now schedule. The closest dealer is doing 1 day a week, another 2 miles further (opposite direction) does 3 days a week, and there are 3 more within 4 miles total distance from the house, so I can basically pick any day of the week starting from 2 weeks out, just a matter of which direction to go from the house.
Is your a 2.0? I wonder if that is the difference. Today was the 4th business day since I uploaded my docs. Hopefully I will hear something Monday.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Is your a 2.0? I wonder if that is the difference. Today was the 4th business day since I uploaded my docs. Hopefully I will hear something Monday.
Yes, it's the 2014 Beetle, so 2.0. Doing a 1 for 2 swap, direct replacement of a Beetle for Beetle, but the wife is wavering if she wants that or a Passat, and picked up a Jetta for the kid.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
So, ladies and gents, I'm just about to start the whole process. I already registered with the site and I'm at the stage where I will be uploading my documents at the end of this week. Car is a beloved 2012 Golf TDI 4DR MT with 106K miles and has original OEM brakes and clutch :). Downshift, baby!

I recently had a chat with a VW Settlement rep who stated that it typically takes 20 days to process the uploaded documents but apparently things have slowed down considerably and the turn around is much quicker. Which seems to be confirmed by the comments on this thread.

In any case, my intention is to turn it in at the end of October when my inspection sticker runs out. So, question is, how far out can you schedule a return? From what I understand, you have 90 days to return once you sign the offer letter. That would put me exactly at the end of October.

My intention is to grab a 2018 GTI Autobahn MT in White Silver. I figure the longer I wait the better the incentives will be. VW was dangling 0% for 72 months at the end of last year on the leftovers. I'm hoping to score that. If I can't get White Silver then Dark Iron Blue it will be.

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
So, ladies and gents, I'm just about to start the whole process. I already registered with the site and I'm at the stage where I will be uploading my documents at the end of this week. Car is a beloved 2012 Golf TDI 4DR MT with 106K miles and has original OEM brakes and clutch :). Downshift, baby!

I recently had a chat with a VW Settlement rep who stated that it typically takes 20 days to process the uploaded documents but apparently things have slowed down considerably and the turn around is much quicker. Which seems to be confirmed by the comments on this thread.

In any case, my intention is to turn it in at the end of October when my inspection sticker runs out. So, question is, how far out can you schedule a return? From what I understand, you have 90 days to return once you sign the offer letter. That would put me exactly at the end of October.

My intention is to grab a 2018 GTI Autobahn MT in White Silver. I figure the longer I wait the better the incentives will be. VW was dangling 0% for 72 months at the end of last year on the leftovers. I'm hoping to score that. If I can't get White Silver then Dark Iron Blue it will be.

Before I picked a date, I was able to see turn in dates as far as 4 months out. I got my offer in Jan 2017, but didn't sign it until a few months back. I am also not sure the 90 days is true. I currently have our buyback scheduled for Aug 7th.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip> So, question is, how far out can you schedule a return? From what I understand, you have 90 days to return once you sign the offer letter. That would put me exactly at the end of October.
<snip>
I signed and returned the offer letter well over a year ago. I took the process right up to the stage where the turn-in appointment is chosen. I left it there until a couple of weeks ago. We finally decided to buy a new car, did so, and I picked the earliest turn-in date at our local dealer, which is August 7th. That's all there was to it. My application stayed frozen at the last stage, then we pulled the trigger, no issues.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
Before I picked a date, I was able to see turn in dates as far as 4 months out. I got my offer in Jan 2017, but didn't sign it until a few months back. I am also not sure the 90 days is true. I currently have our buyback scheduled for Aug 7th.
I signed and returned the offer letter well over a year ago. I took the process right up to the stage where the turn-in appointment is chosen. I left it there until a couple of weeks ago. We finally decided to buy a new car, did so, and I picked the earliest turn-in date at our local dealer, which is August 7th. That's all there was to it. My application stayed frozen at the last stage, then we pulled the trigger, no issues.

Thank you both for the quick replies. This is great information. So I will submit info, wait for then sign offer letter and return, then hang loose until I lock down a deal on a new car. Once I find one, I'll go ahead and schedule the return date. That's perfect. That works for me. So, technically, I didn't have to wait this long to do the all the paperwork. I could have done this a long time ago. And, technically, car has to be returned by Dec 30th. Getting right on this as soon as I get home. Thanks again. :)

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
I will submit info, wait for then sign offer letter and return, then hang loose until I lock down a deal on a new car. Once I find one, I'll go ahead and schedule the return date.
This is helpful. I'm a pretty bright bulb, but seem to need "Settlement Process for Dummies" where this process is concerned.:D

For a long while I planned to go the modification route for my 2015 Golf TDI (44k miles). Love the car, but $24k in buyback is a too good to pass up. Planning now to put that toward a 2018 Golf GTI that I'll buy outright.

I'm just starting the claims process, trying to figure out the timing. Buy the new car now, then complete the claims process & schedule an appointment? Or what makes the most sense?

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
This is helpful. I'm a pretty bright bulb, but seem to need "Settlement Process for Dummies" where this process is concerned.:D

For a long while I planned to go the modification route for my 2015 Golf TDI (44k miles). Love the car, but $24k in buyback is a too good to pass up. Planning now to put that toward a 2018 Golf GTI that I'll buy outright.

I'm just starting the claims process, trying to figure out the timing. Buy the new car now, then complete the claims process & schedule an appointment? Or what makes the most sense?

I would highly recommend that you select the buyback option and get the paperwork completed ASAP, if you have not already gotten this ball rolling.

While you wait on paperwork approval, buyback date and such, you should have sufficient time to purchase your next vehicle before you turn in your car.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf

I would highly recommend that you select the buyback option and get the paperwork completed ASAP, if you have not already gotten this ball rolling.

While you wait on paperwork approval, buyback date and such, you should have sufficient time to purchase your next vehicle before you turn in your car.

I agree. I was holding out as long as possible figuring I was saving myself a monthly car payment and putting miles on the TDI instead of my new car. But now that the deadline is fast approaching, I immersed myself into the information stream to figure this out. So...as everyone here probably already knows, all your paperwork has to be uploaded by 9/1/2018. Once you get the offer letter, that offer letter has to be signed and returned by 12/1/2018. Once they've confirmed receipt of signed offer letter, you have the choice to setup a return date. The car has to be returned by 12/30/2018 or you chance forfeiting your claim.

So, I went ahead and uploaded all the necessary documents and I await the offer letter. My intent is to sign/notarize and return promptly, as to meet the second deadline. Then I'm probably going to snag a car on the side no later than late October. I will probably setup a return date somewhere around mid to late October.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI

I originally intended to ride the free mileage to the bitter end, but President Trump threatened tariffs on cars imported from Germany and I flinched. I had started the claims process months ago; a couple of weeks ago I uploaded registration/driver's license/title on a Thursday. I got the offer letter on the following Tuesday; I uploaded the signed documents on Friday. On Monday, I purchased a 2018 Buick Regal Sportback Essence FWD; later that day I got the "schedule your appointment" email. Today, I scheduled the appointment for August 8.

The process was swift and easy. It would have been great to take advantage of the free mileage for a while longer, but if the government imposes tariffs I'd have saved hundreds but lost thousands.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a notary in the paperwork process, so remember that as you plan the timing before 9/1. You also have to get a scan of that notary that shows their seal, so if you have a low quality phone camera, be sure you can see the seal or it may get rejected, and the paperwork done deadline is a date you don't want to slide past because something wasn't visible in the scan.

That said, I can pick a date 2 weeks out, pretty much from here to the end of the year, just looking for the replacement car, and when I have it, I'll pick the date. Sure it's two trips, but for a free car, I'll make a little effort.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
President Trump threatened tariffs on cars imported from Germany and I flinched. I purchased a 2018 Buick Regal Sportback Essence FWD; later that day I got the "schedule your appointment" email. Today, I scheduled the appointment for August 8.
It would have been great to take advantage of the free mileage for a while longer, but if the government imposes tariffs I'd have saved hundreds but lost thousands.
The whole thing is preposterous. So, you impose tariffs on goods people actually want? To force your citizens to buy American? You punish companies that are making very good products? Goes against the definition of free trade. But I digress. Congrats on the new vehicle.

There is a notary in the paperwork process, so remember that as you plan the timing before 9/1. You also have to get a scan of that notary that shows their seal, so if you have a low quality phone camera, be sure you can see the seal or it may get rejected, and the paperwork done deadline is a date you don't want to slide past because something wasn't visible in the scan.
Just to clarify, the initial paperwork that has to be in by 9/1 does NOT require notarization. The offer letter requires it and that doesn't have to be in till 12/1.

Update: received an email from VW 24 hours after submission, stating the paperwork was in order and that it was being forwarded to the court appointed reviewer.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
There is a notary in the paperwork process, so remember that as you plan the timing before 9/1. You also have to get a scan of that notary that shows their seal, so if you have a low quality phone camera, be sure you can see the seal or it may get rejected

I just sent in my Offer Letter yesterday, and the Notary didn't have a seal, just the Notary stamp. So that might get rejected? It will or it might?

Kind of ridiculous, because a seal has NO legal significance.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
I just sent in my Offer Letter yesterday, and the Notary didn't have a seal, just the Notary stamp. So that might get rejected? It will or it might?

Kind of ridiculous, because a seal has NO legal significance.

I think you're going to be fine. I just spoke to my work mate, who happens to notarize on the side, and he states he has both a stamp and an embosser for notarizing. So, if like MA, perhaps NY has both styles. If that person is a legit Notary, you should be good to go.