Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I've always over-filled my gasoline and diesel vehicles, and never had a problem. However, I never fill up at the end of a drive. The tank isn't "overfilled" long enough to be a problem.

Some can't really be over-filled. I have a 2010 Transit Connect van, and cannot squeeze in more than an extra pint or so after the pump clicks off. "Full" really is "full."

My 2007 Honda Accord, on the other hand, takes 2 1/2 GALLONS of extra fuel until it's literally brim full. And has been doing so at every fill up for 250,000 trouble-free miles. That's an extra 70+ miles of range from a tank. I go well over 100 miles before the needle drops to FULL.

It is theoretically possible to drown your carbon canister, but you really have to work at it. Over-fill on a hot day and then immediately park in the sun? That might cause a problem. Or spill diesel fuel on the ground, in the case of an over-filled TDI. But it's not going to be an issue if you start burning the fuel right away.

-mickey

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
There is no canister or evap system on a diesel . . . diesel vapor pressure is too low to need it . . .

t1n0m3n

TDI
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
...I make it a rule to never fill more the the second "click". After the fuel pump clicks the first time I wait 10 seconds then hit it one more time...
Same here... At least until I got my Jeep. If I go beyond the first click, Diesel goes everywhere. The Jeep is the first vehicle that I have experienced this.

I don't have my Golf anymore, but I am still a religious reader of this thread and still a Diesel fanatic.

Sadly, here in Chicago, no one gives a crap about what you put in your vehicle. So no new stories from me.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I was at a gas station the other day when I saw a beautiful white Smyth ute tdi pulling away. For a moment I thought about running after him to get a better look, but it was too damned hot out. It was only the second one I have seen in person, and the first in Maine. The first one I saw was runonbeer's down in Austin. Both examples were very clean and well executed. A younger guy pumping gas into his jetta also noticed the Ute and me staring after it. He was a bit bewildered when I told him it was a chopped jetta. :)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
After we bought our Passat in 2013 (our first diesel) I read with some bemusement the anecdotes posted by people while fueling their vehicles. We have now owned the Passat for 4 years and have around 61K miles on it, and I have yet to be approached by anyone making a comment about having a diesel, or "you're putting the wrong fuel in your car," or any such thing.....

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
yeah same here, however many times Ive been at a heavily trafficked road side fuel station and pulled up to the Diesel Island, only to have a bunch of cars follow my lead and pull their gassers up to the diesel only pumps so they dont have to get in line at the gas island... I usually make some smart-ass comment, 'Oah thats awesome Honda is making a Diesel Minivan' before they look around and 'oh crap, is yours a diesel?'

Ive saved more people from trying to put Diesel into there Gasser than Ive had anyone comment on me putting Diesel into a Volkswagen.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
This poor thread doesn't get the love it used to!

I kind of expected to start hearing stories of poor folks in Texas being super thankful they have diesels lately as gas shortages due to evacuations of the horrible flooding down there in the last week.

I always felt a little more justified with the diesel ownership experience when you hear those stories.

Beyond that, if anyone here is in the area or is close to anyone affected, my thoughts and best wishes are with you/them and hope some day a silver lining can be found.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
We hosted people from down that way to get them out of danger. Austin got plenty of rain and some wind but no flooding really. Sheltered 7 people and 2 dogs and a cat until yesterday. Not as many stories since a lot of the cars are being turned in probably.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
I heard some scattered reports that many stations in Dallas were out of gasoline; no word on diesel. Can anyone confirm?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The official word in Dallas is that there is no actual shortage, but rather that some rumor got started that there would be, so everyone rushed to the gas stations, and promptly drained them. Supposedly diesel is better, but I haven't checked. Overall, supposed to be resolved by the weekend . . .

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
On the national news tonight, they said the Colonial Pipeline (primary pipeline to the East Coast) was now shutdown. This is the same pipeline that had those problems in last September and October.
Same thing up here in NC . Officials are on TV asking people to not panic and go about their normal refills and not top off to minimize the price spiking (it's already gone up 20-30 cents / a gallon - more in some places). One Speedway has had a 40 cent or more jump in diesel - but it's pretty popular with trucks and out on US-1 . Most other diesel has gone up about 20-30 cents, gas about the same.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In the Charlotte area, diesel went up a dime the first few days of Harold but has held study. I've seen gas go up anywhere from 30 - 70 cents.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Down here in Houston, I have not seen any big shortage and filled my car up at Walmart yesterday. The waters are receding, but the flooding continues about 10 miles south of us.

doublebarrel

TDI
2015 Jetta S TDI
Filled up in Fort Worth,Texas yesterday. Was the only one at the pumps, they were out of gas, only had diesel. $2.32 a gallon. Have seen gas up to $2.99 a gallon with cars lined up 1/2 a block trying to get in.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Filled both Beetles today. All gas pumps closed at all nearby stations with only diesel left. Funny to see people pulling in because they see the Beetle fueling and were unhappy when no gas was to be had.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Filled both Beetles today. All gas pumps closed at all nearby stations with only diesel left. Funny to see people pulling in because they see the Beetle fueling and were unhappy when no gas was to be had.
Strange, but we are not having any trouble filling up (gasoline) just north of Houston in The Woodlands. I filled our SUV at a Walmart station the other day and I was the only car there (2:00 PM).

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
You guys are paying close to nothing/ gallon, i wouldnt complain when in europe some countries pay 1.8€/liter.
I've always wondered, how often do you see big dumb SUVs over there?

around here it feels as though everyone's got some chevy traverse platform ****box with half the interior room of my golf, but the external dimensions of a '90s full size truck

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I've always wondered, how often do you see big dumb SUVs over there?

around here it feels as though everyone's got some chevy traverse platform ****box with half the interior room of my golf, but the external dimensions of a '90s full size truck
Back in 1981 while we were waiting to board the ferry to Nord Kapp in Norway, the incoming ferry docked and among the debarking vehicles was a large Winnebago-type RV with California plates! I always wondered what it cost to fill the tank on that (not to mention the cost of shipping it to Europe).

hankymurphy

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '14 A6
I was filling up on the Garden State Parkway today, and not only did I have to deal with waiting in line for one of the 2 islands out of 30 gas pumps that have diesel, but the pump jockey warned me after I removed the pump from my car that I can get a ticket for touching the pump. I told him that it is legal to pump your own diesel and he said it's not true and a lot of state troopers come through and could write us both a ticket.
So, petty me went home and printed a copy of NJAC 12:196-1.1 and put it in my glovebox so I can show the next confused pump jockey.
Happy Labor Day