TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo

Pre iat thermocouple i wanna know the ic eff%

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

4 bar map wont cut it for this application so i chose to run a 5v pressure transducer 7bar and the post iat sensor was dismantled and i soldered the ntc from a factory map sensor to avoid scaling issues oem ntc is 2.2k ohm at room temp delphi was 3.5k

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Intercooler and pipe work is all done i have to finish the rear section of exhaust and go for test drive :)

Bambaataa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta BRM 6MT; '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI GSW
Very Cool Build.

Looks amazing!! Can't wait to see numbers from a dyno...

Subscribed!

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed

Oil pressure sending unit tee fitting
What oil pressure sender unit are you using? And what is it going to? Going to run a homebrew arduino, new south/52mm analog gauge, or something autometer?

I have a New South Performance gauge that I would like to use in my car, but that sender unit is CRAZY big.

Good looking build!

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm running VFIZ it is a box the taps into the cluster displays everything over the MFA screen via canbus or obd very slick a guy in poland makes them these also have external inputs for common sensors mine being 0-5v

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Can anyone comment whether I should powdercoat the intercooler piping black or leave it stainless ? Im on the fence

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Might be a stupid question, but if fabbing all your own pipes and exhaust, why not use titanium for the weight save?
Much more expensive and harder to weld I presume? You could use motorcycle type silencers in Ti?

I'm sure there's a pretty obvious answer!

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Aluminum is lighter than Ti and can be used for IC piping. Tricky to weld in thin sections though. Stainless is fairly easy to work with, welds easily in thin sections and is readily available for reasonable money.

Not easy to find titanium, expensive, mandrel bends are very hard to find and very expensive, must be welded in an atmosphere of argon (glove box) or at very least back-purged or it will crack, also it's expensive. Did I mention it was expensive? Better to save the 5 pounds by throwing out the jack...

I don't think silencers were much of an issue for Machineman, his are pretty light already...

Sounds about right! Titanium is available from vibrant performance the cost is astronomical and yeah my spare tire is gone that's 50lbs alone and its free

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Ti is actually twice the density of alu, the only advantage it has over alu is at high temperatures it retains its strength where aluminium gets very brittle
if he was running 500+ degree compressor outlet temps for minutes on end then it would be a consideration, but as said, stainless is cheaper by far, not to mention the welding troubles. Kind of like alu vs magnesium.

Why not aluminum exhaust past the downpipe? seems to work for my junk :p
I'd leave the piping bare. Those are welds to be proud of from the pics up there.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Ti is actually only about 66% higher density, not 2X. Aluminum is not usually used for the tail-end of exhausts because of acid corrosion attack from exhaust gas condensate, but its a matter of degree, as mild steel will also corrode exposed to the same conditions. Nothing wrong with it really, except for maybe having to join dissimilar metals at some point and the resulting galvanic corrosion. Edit: Anodizing the aluminum should help corrosion resistance, though.

If we consider carbon fibre tubing, now we're talking!

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the car last night for a drive it pulls very well the center driveshaft hangar cannot handle power it shudders a lot Under full Boost

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Its to be expected especially if the prop bearing is worn... Get a replacement snd see if it improves results otherwise you need to limit the torque low down the revs!

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
did you leave the stock fuel pump in the tank or did you instal a diffrent one,

Lucian189

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 TDI CR
Again a nice thread and nice info.!
Cant beliewe you took the 4.2 out

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J510FN folosind Tapatalk

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Again a nice thread and nice info.!
Cant beliewe you took the 4.2 out

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J510FN folosind Tapatalk
Actually the s4 v8 lump is troublesome and all have problems with timing chain stretching and throwing many fault codes and Then the car goes in
limp mode... in severe cases bending valves is also common ! I personally had an s4 and whilst fun to drive on a weekend- it was rather a thirsty beast ! I reckon it will go really well with a full blown Diesel engine- it won’t sound as the v8 but less maintenance issues !

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Can anyone comment whether I should powdercoat the intercooler piping black or leave it stainless ? Im on the fence
This is just me, but I like the idea of powdercoat. My personal choice would be black so as to retain an "OEM" look. But black may have slight heat implications...Either way it looks great!

As others have said your fab work is brilliant!! It all looks top shelf. Everything in the engine compartment is nice and clean, nothing looks cluttered. Great stuff, thanks for sharing this with us!