P087/P088 codes

Tosh2

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI sedan, sold, 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, auto(!), 2009 TDI sedan Graphite Blue, DSG, ESP. SOLD!
Now that my long running saga of 087/088 trouble codes is close to being resolved, it might be useful to describe the whole story.

Beginning mid September of 2012, at the end of a 800 Km day, I got a flashing glow plug light (GPL) and check engine light (CEL) and limp mode, all of which cleared immediately after re-starting. Over the following 6 months, the problem recurred randomly. Sometimes every two weeks and sometimes every 2 minutes. It was impossible to trigger the fault at will, although it did become gradually more frequent over time.

With guidance from TDI 101 forum threads and the boundless generosity of 2micron, I methodically substituted fuel pressure sensor, fuel pressure solenoid and fuel metering valve. Contrary to all expectations, it was the metering valve at fault and the substitute part has fixed the issue completely.

So away I go the dealer, part in hand, only to be told "not a VW part number, not a VW part - go to Bosch" Is this the ultimate VW brush-off or what? Searching internet sites, I found the part available in Latvia (!) and Spain. The part (Bosch #0928 400 706) is $68 ex Spain, where it's apparently a part common to the Seat brand.

Given the reasonable cost of this part and the 5 minute (including washing hands) of the R&R, it's not a bad place to start if you find a similar problem. Here's a useful description from the Spanish source of how the metering valve works:

The fuel pressure control valve comprises a fuel-cooled solenoid valve.
The valve opening is varied by its solenoid coil being pulse width modulated at a frequency of 1 KHz.​
When the pressure control valve is not activated, its internal spring maintains​
a fuel pressure of about 100 Bar. When the valve is activated,​
the force of the electromagnet aids the spring, reducing the opening of the valve​
and so increasing fuel pressure. The fuel pressure control valve also acts as​
a mechanical pressure damper, smoothing the high frequency pressure pulses​
emanating from the radial piston pump when less than three pistons are activated.​

Tosh2

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI sedan, sold, 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, auto(!), 2009 TDI sedan Graphite Blue, DSG, ESP. SOLD!
Nice post. Could you share with us what trouble codes you had?

Just P0087 (low fuel pressure) and very occasionally P0088 (high fuel pressure) This is using my hand held OBD giving generic info.

col m

TDI
Golf 2.0 tdi sportline (58)
I have this problem looks like i'm going to try this aswell

I get p0088 high pressure

and two times in ten

p0087 low pressure on the common rail

col m

TDI
Golf 2.0 tdi sportline (58)
I fitted the new pressure control regulator ...
which was very easy to do might i add anyone can do it its just two t20 torx this has fixed my car the errors are gone...

happy days!!!

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI SW 6spd Manual
Did you ever have any instances, during the period you were having issues, where the car would take longer than normal to fire?

If it failed to maintain 100psi when off, could that cause a hard start condition?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I fitted the new pressure control regulator ...
which was very easy to do might i add anyone can do it its just two t20 torx this has fixed my car the errors are gone...

happy days!!!
Did you ever have any instances, during the period you were having issues, where the car would take longer than normal to fire?

If it failed to maintain 100psi when off, could that cause a hard start condition?
I fear we might be starting to confuse parts (or maybe I'm just the one confused). There is a fuel pressure regulator valve N216 (on the end of the fuel rail). There is a Pressure Retention Valve (near the back of the engine) that maintains 10 bar (145psi) fuel rail pressure even when the car is off. Plus, there is a Fuel Metering Valve N290 which is on/in the HPFP. I am beginning to get confused about which valve the OP replaced.

Have Fun!

Don

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
I fear we might be starting to confuse parts (or maybe I'm just the one confused). There is a fuel pressure regulator valve N216 (on the end of the fuel rail). There is a Pressure Retention Valve (near the back of the engine) that maintains 10 bar (145psi) fuel rail pressure even when the car is off. Plus, there is a Fuel Metering Valve N290 which is on/in the HPFP. I am beginning to get confused about which valve the OP replaced.
Have Fun!
Don
It's not you :p

I'm a little confused as to what part was replaced...sorry if I added any confusion :p

The Pressure Retention Valve actually sounds like it could be the culprit for me. I have no issue once started or when it's warmed up. Maybe I'm losing rail pressure after sitting for a long period and it takes a few cranks to build back up? It's very random as well. Is that a part that can intermittently fail? Or is it more likely to just fail completely?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Pressure Retention Valve actually sounds like it could be the culprit for me. I have no issue once started or when it's warmed up. Maybe I'm losing rail pressure after sitting for a long period and it takes a few cranks to build back up? It's very random as well. Is that a part that can intermittently fail? Or is it more likely to just fail completely?
I believe that there has been at least one failure reported here of that Pressure Retention Valve. The symptoms were mostly as you describe - it starts fine when warm or if it has been off for a relatively short time. However, if left idle for a long time, it takes a while to start. I do not recall how solid (or intermittent) it was, but I am guessing that it could fail either way. I wonder if any of our gurus have seen these fail in their work (they see a lot more of these that I do).

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's not you :p

I'm a little confused as to what part was replaced...sorry if I added any confusion :p
After carefully re-reading the OP's post and checking out partbase.org, and a few dealer parts websites, I am pretty sure his problem and yours are different. He replaced the Fuel Metering Valve in his HPFP. He is correct that VW does not have a part number for this part, they only want to sell you a whole new HPFP for about $1000. The fuel pressure regulator valve is also not available by itself either, you have to buy the whole fuel rail ($250 mail order to $315 MSRP).

It looks like the part you probably need is (believe it or not) officially called the "Return line pin (male) terminal housing pressure valve" which has a VW part number of 03L 130 235 K (about $82.00 mail order to $103.45 MSRP). It is the return line from the injectors and the pressure retention valve. It is a purely mechanical part with no electrical connection.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
After carefully re-reading the OP's post and checking out partbase.org, and a few dealer parts websites, I am pretty sure his problem and yours are different. He replaced the Fuel Metering Valve in his HPFP. He is correct that VW does not have a part number for this part, they only want to sell you a whole new HPFP for about $1000. The fuel pressure regulator valve is also not available by itself either, you have to buy the whole fuel rail ($250 mail order to $315 MSRP).

It looks like the part you probably need is (believe it or not) officially called the "Return line pin (male) terminal housing pressure valve" which has a VW part number of 03L 130 235 K (about $82.00 mail order to $103.45 MSRP). It is the return line from the injectors and the pressure retention valve. It is a purely mechanical part with no electrical connection.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks for your help...At least the two possible faulty parts are not too ridiculous. Fortunately I haven't really had any issues with the car, so I haven't educated myself enough on it. I have issues with remembering the names of parts :rolleyes: I'm becoming my Dad and calling everything a "whatchamacallit"

actnbill

TDI
2011 Jetta TDi
Do you remember where you found the Bosch part ?? I'm looking for the same part and can't find it anywhere for $65......only about $200 so far...

Bill

actnbill

TDI
2011 Jetta TDi
I just located the Bosch sensor on eBay. I did a search for Bosch 0928 400 706 and saved the search on ebay to send me an email when that item got listed by someone....

It's a used part for $60 from an auto recycler's 2011 Jetta TDi, but that's a lot better than paying $225 plus shipping from europe.....

I'll post how it works when I get it installed....

Last edited:

actnbill

TDI
2011 Jetta TDi
The part seems to be working for now.....about 2 weeks of driving and no more codes or limp mode. ( crossing my fingers )