Techtonics Tuning Exhaust HOP-UP

S

SkyPup

At this time my new Techtonic Tuning 304 Stainless Steel mandrel bent 2.5" cat back exhaust system with straight through Borla muffler is making its way across the county from Oregon to Florida. Total cost with shipping was $529. This system is NOT what your local Midas muffler shop could provide since not many exhaust people have a mandrel bending machine.

The same setup in aluminized steel sells for about $306, since I am in Florida and we do have alot of salt in the air, I went with the stainless steel system for longetivity.

This installation should assist the Garrett VNT15 spool up quicker and create significantly less backpressure, especially when my peak boost is finally increased. With the Wetterauer software, K&N cone filter, and no MAF screens I am looking for a total increase in power of about 30% giving me 120HP and 200 lb of torque. Next step will be increased turbo boost pressure for even more power to my final goal of 150HP and 250 lbs of torque, which only increased intake air flow and increased exhaust flow could possibly provide.

BTW, the same system from Techtonics for the NB has an outrageous STINGER tip that sticks up just like on the exhaust extrctor systems on the air-cooled hoped up Bugs. Really a sweet looking set-up!

VROOOM
Now that TDI will be heard, smelt, and hard to catch!

Beam me up Scotty, there is no boosted turbos down here!!!!

------------------
99 JETTA TDI HERR WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 KAFER WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER
ICH LEBE MEIN TECHORAD VW TDI'S MIT DIREKTEINSPRITZER TURBOKOMPRESSOR

RAUCHEN

Hey Skypup!

Been gone a while.....

Did I tell you of my resonator removal?
On my '98 Jetta TDI w/Techtonics cat-back
system (aluminized 2 1/2" w/ Borla stainless
muffler), I had my friendly Meineke remove the resonator a week ago, and got to inspect
it closely while up on the hoist.

The downpipe actually looks decent, at approximately 2 1/2", but where it connects
to the stupid cat it necks down to 2", then
post-cat, back up to 2 1/2" for the TT front
pipe. The cat appears to be the definite
"fly in the ointment" here. I've heard
(maybe you can confirm this) that there is no legal requirement for a catalytic convertor
on a diesel. My brother's old diesel Rabbit
had none...

Nevertheless, I can't get Meineke to touch it. Short of a 2,200+ mile trek to
Sheridan, Oregon, to volunteer my car as
a testbed for Techtonics, any suggestions?
I'm dreaming of a cat-free 3" mandrel-bent
headpipe-back system with just a "back-box",
as the Brits call it. Maybe a Remus with dual tips....

BTW, the resonator removal is beneficial, as
the deep throaty sound of exhaust, as opposed
to drivetrain noise, is more prominent. Just
a hair smoother accelerating, as far as I can tell.

S

SkyPup

I am not sure if catalytic convertors are required on diesels in the US but I am sure that they do some good for the atomsphere even though there is not much unburned HC's in diesel exhaust compared to gassers.
As far as the catalytic convertor is concerned, if the VW is small enough to create a bottleneck in the flow, a trashed cat from a GM, FORD, etc. V-8 could be installed and it would work good and for sure have more than enough flow for whatever the TDI engine could put out. The idea being, if it is good enough for a V-8 exhaust flow, it a HAS to be good enough for a puny 1.9L TDI.
My A4 turbo hookup is similar to your A3's although the turbo itself is integrated on mine whilst added on the manifold on yours. The exhaust downpipe appears similar back to the cat. I will get under there and measure it with a caliper during the installation to check it out closer. It does look pretty heavy duty, being solid stainless steel throughout, really a first class piece.
I am looking forward to that Techtonics Exhaust for some more flow and less back pressure to assist my turbo flow characteristics somewhat. As far as I know, my setup does not have a resonator in it, but if it does, I will remove that too. For one it will sound alot better.
Soon, when I crank this baby up on a dark, cold, foggy morning, the nearest neighbors (about 1/2 mile away) will think that I am cranking up my Massey Ferguson tractor, without the resonator, they may think that the locomotive at the train station about three miles away is cranking up!!!!

That awesome diesel manages to shake the ground all the way over to our farm!

Wait until these poor hapless chaps hear the sounds of my 1.9L VW TDI mit Wett mit Garrett VNT15 turbo hit the road wide open, their mouths will drop open in awe. Hope I do not interfere with the Hoot Owls in the trees around the farm, they may not be able to handle hearing that turbo spool up to 130,000 rpm sending millions of soundwaves out the Borla faster than the speed of sound.

Sonic boom here we come!

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited September 28, 1999).]

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Skypup,

The TDI does indeed use a cat, but it is formulated differently owing to the fact that the equivalence ratio changes over a wide range in diesels in the course of normal operation.

In gas engines, in order for the cat to work most efficiently, the fuel-air mixture MUST be regulated over a VERY narrow range near stoichiometric. That's what the O2 sensor's primary role is here.

As you pointed out, Diesels emit less CO and HC than gas engines, but more NOx. Because Diesel exhaust always has excess air, chemical equilibrium dynamics suggests that reduction of NOx to its component N2 and O2 is difficult. The function of the catalyst in the TDI is to reduce all three of these pollutants, plus carbon-based soot (soot has two main forms). It does this by two different chambers with different formulations. One is an oxidizing part that deals with the HC, CO and soot, while the reducing part deals with NOx.

In short, what I'm saying is that while you may pass visual inspection with replacing the cat with some other part, it may not likely work AT ALL at what it's supposed to do, plus it may become plugged with with soot in no time.

And don't be fooled into thinking a larger physical size from a GM unit will flow any better or be any more effective. Fact is, the VW units flow EXTREMELY well. This has been proven by publications, and by the fact that HP is not significantly affected from removing the cat vis-a-vis leaving it in. Darrel Vittone from Techtonics has vouched for this for a long time in mags like VW & Porsche and European Car, and I've spoken with him personally.

Please leave the cat where it is!

Cheers,
Dave

S

SkyPup

I personally am not replacing my OEM cat on the TDI and was never planning to, since as you mentioned the VW OEM unit is excellent and could not be inhibiting the flow to any great extent unless the motor was set up for full race. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the facts pointed out in your post. I am just changing out cat-back only since I am never going to be a full race set-up. This should decrease backpressure a couple of pounds and correspondingly increase turbo exhaust flow too. Every little bit helps, and if I ever achieve further boost pressure increases as planned, the Techtonics unit will be a further plus!
Thanks for the info, Dave!

itsdezl

I thought I read a post a long time ago that mentioned that the cat ignites diesel fuel in the cat to help heat it up and improve the output levels of chemicals. If this is the case, how do you rememdy the issue of the fuel supply line and no cat?
I have never really looked at the cat up close I just seem to remember something strange like that being posted.

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
I wonder if the V6 TDI Cat might be a little larger in diameter. Hmmm... Where could we find one from the V-10 ???

I went back and re-read an article from Sooty where he tested with and without the cat in place. Based on his tests there was 1hp loss with the cat in place..

[This message has been edited by Gary Miyakawa (edited September 28, 1999).]

DRIVER

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Porcelain Blue
Hey SkyPup,
Stop the madness. Everytime I convince myself to spend the designated bit of play-money on something one of you guys post a message like this and get me thinking otherwise. My fellow air cooled VW friends
(THING owners) are calling the TDI group the "Dark Side" since I'm spending more time tinkering and playing with my Jetta than my '73 THING.
What was once a purchase to merely get me to and from work is becoming a focus of much attention lately. All jokes aside, when you get the full flow exhaust installed I'd love to see and hear it. I'm down the road from you in the Tampa area. Give some thought to attending the Dade City Bug Jam / VW show on November 14th. It's a very good show for those who have never attended. While the big numbers are naturally air cooled there are also many classes for water cooled.
Given a bit of time to recover from the recent stereo upgrade I will be adding a Power Box and have a line on a local shop for a Dyno test. Maybe this would be a good chance to head to head test the two most popular methods of hot-rodding these wonderful engines.

------------------

S

SkyPup

Driver, thanks for the nice note, indeed the TDI Performance people are the "DARK SIDE" since very few ever enter these hallowed halls, most just tremble at the thought of a souped up diesel powered VW TDI, many just soil their undies when the vision occurs in their minds eye. We are here to cure those symptoms of either NO TDI or STOCK TDI. Can you imagine that the 1.9L VW TDI is the ONLY diesel powered passenger car for sale in the United States of America during the millenium? Everyone who owns and operates a TDI is in an extremely small minority in this county, those you have a HOPPED UP TDI are in an even smaller minority. It is our responsibility to get the word out to the masses that the future is here right beneath our noses, I can smell those TDI fumes now.
Nov 14th I will be harvesting my vension for the fall after I split up some wood for the fireplace, however, that is a nice invite and would appreciate if you post some more info regarding the outcome, possibly a few pics would be nice to send to Fred to post too. Some good TDI folks up in Atlanta are getting ready to test dyno their WETTED TDI's soon and post results of same (Gary!), that should provide some more fuel to the fire.
VW TDI ENHANCED -> SIMPLY STUNNING

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Just a correction, Skypup.

That should be "Can you imagine that the 1.9L VW TDI is the ONLY diesel powered passenger car for sale in the United States of America, except California, during the millenium?"

S

SkyPup

Yes, I had forgotten for a moment that the citizens of the great state of California had been Californicated from behind once again.
LOL
Hey, we better still be nice to them since alot of good VW Tuners still operate within the border of that state.

vwtdi

Is the resonator the muffler closer to the engine? How much louder does this make the TDI? Will this make the noise of the turbo spooling up louder. I love that sound and I try to make sure every rice rocket I see hears it.

S

SkyPup

The resonator is the muffler up closer to the catalytic convertor, if you like it quiet leave it there, if you like it enhanced, remove it.

RAUCHEN

Resonator = bad

Roar = good

BTW, Skypup, is it on, and how you like?
I would swear I heard thunder from the southeast last night.....

S

SkyPup

If I am blessed, I will have the Techtonics system by this Friday but I am not holding my breath since it is a long 3,000+ mile UPS ride from Oregon to Florida (hope no natural disaster occurs during the shipment - floods, earthquakes, 50 car pile up on the Interstate, etc.). It should be a piece of cake install, and I will be exicted to hear the sweet sound of that Wett TDI talking to me through the turbocharged exhaust for sure!
Rest assured that FRED'S TDI PERFORMANCE PAGE will be the first recipient of the news of my miraculous discovery in horsepower hop up on the techno rad Jetta.
If I don't receive it before this weekend though, it may be the week after as I am busy baling horse hay on the farm to put up in the barn before winter. Can't let those horses down for a few more horses on the TDI!!!

S

SkyPup

1st - waaaahhhhhhhh
2nd - naaaahhhhhhhh
3rd - haaaahhhhhhhh
4th - raaaahhhhhhhh
5th - YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Okay guys, I'll see what I can do.
RAZTDI, how did you put the WAV files onto your site?

Frank TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jatta TDI- 1999 Golf TDI
skypup, when you disconnect the exhaust system, start up the engine without anything connected except the cat. Let me know how loud the exhaust is. I think you will be surprised. I had Techtonics make an adaptor between the cat and the new stainless. This was to change the dia of the cat to match the 3" stainless. The cat back is the same as the VR6 Jetta. Without any BOX the boost pressure went up 2 lbs. You will like the system. They are great people to work with. The wait will be worth it!!!!

------------------
Frank TDI

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,

My recordings were made via my laptop with the simple "Sound Recorder" program included with Windows 95/98 (all digital recording). I have a dynamic microphone with a 10-ft cord. For the engine sounds, I ran the cord through the front passenger door and into the right rear section of the hood. I placed the microphone in two locations: first, I nestled it next to the fuel filter; then I put it in the airbox (closed it with the cord pinched in there). The sounds on my site are from within the airbox. The turbo is a little more audible that way. Unfortunately, so the the rush of air, but it still sounds cool.

If I were to make the recording of the muffler (and perhaps someday I will), I would drop the back seat and run the cord through the trunk. Then I'd have the cord exit the trunk and dangle beside the exhaust tip. I'd use masking tape to secure the microphone to the bumper to keep it from swinging around.

Hope this helps...

------------------
Scott, KE4WMF
98 Jetta TDI w/47,000 mi
53 mpg (US) w/AC

http://members.aol.com/ThreeRibs/Volkswagen.html
(Features TDI Articles and Sound Files)

S

SkyPup

Thanks to all, I will try to make some recording, with stock muffler, with straight pipe, and with Techtonics cat back with straight through Borla.
I was hoping the decrease in backpressure would be directly proportional to an increase in Turbocharger Boost Pressure, apparently from what Frank TDI states, this is so. Can't wait for the install now, should be here any day now.
VVVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM

BOOST ME UP SCOTTY - I'VE GOT A TECHTONICS EXHAUST SYSTEM FUR MEIN KOMPRESSOR!!

Ric - it is nice to know that you will remain unwetted - that way I can always blow soot in your face!

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Too bad they don't make a system for the A3 Jetta TDI, I just received their catalog and the only TDI system offered is for the A4.

S

SkyPup

Yeah, their VR6 2.5" is the same as the TDI system for both A3 and A4 TDIs, use that!
The 2.0 liter normal aspirated gasser and the 1.8l Turbo both use 2.25". Remember with exhaust pipes, doubling the diameter increases the flow 16 times, so a small increase in diameter is a BIG increase in exhaust flow!

S

SkyPup

The installation of the Techtonics 2.5" TDI exhaust system was a piece of cake, UPS dropped off the system at home at 5:30 PM and I was washing my hands up and listening to the sweet sweet sound of that WETT TDI idling at 8:00 PM. The system is first class all the way and is HUGE, the stocker exhaust was 2.0" inside diameter using a vernier caliper and the Techtonic system is exactly 2,5" all the way through. The is no obstructions in the entire system, in fact, it is straight through from the beginning to the end by line of sight. The original VW catalytic convertor is HUGE also, at least 5" diameter.
I was shocked at how LARGE the OEM VW baffled muffler is plus how HEAVY it was, the new system weighs 1/2 as much. The TDI's exhaust note is almost nonexistant, the Garrett Turbo turbine does an unreal job of mutting out the exhaust pulses from the gas flow stream - IT IS QUIET - just barely louder than stock. I would imagine that you could legally run a straight 2.5" diameter pipe from the cat on back and still be sound decibels legal, it is that quiet. The exhaust flows out in a constant stream, kinda like water out of a hose.
The main performance increase is at 3,000RPM on up, in fact there is no indication of the TDI signing off at 4,000RPM it revs straight through 4,000RPM pulling hard. This is obivously a high performance exhaust system and flows alot more than the diminuitive TDI can muster (the BORLA Turbo Exhaust flows 525cfm or about twice what the turboded TDI can produce!). This system is overkill for a stock engine, however with the Wetterauer Software upgrade or a HOPA or TUNING BOX, I would recommend it. Also, with future plans for a turbo upgrade and even more air flow through the entire engine intake and exhaust system, it is icing on the cake.
VVVVVRRRROOOOMMMM <-> TDI's RULE!!!!

S

SkyPup

I'll charge up the digital camera and take some pics this weekend of the installed exhaust system, I was too excited when I opened the boxes last night after work to do anything but immediately install it and check it out. BTW, there is plenty of clearance for the installation, even with the huge 2.5" pipes, there are NO rattles of any sort and the installation is quite sanitary.
After scoping this out, I am itchy to get the same installed on the WEETED NB TDI TERROR. Techtonics makes the same system for the NB and has in addition an absolutely WICKED looking upswept STINGER end pipe for it emulating one of the early BAJA BUG extractor exhaust systems. Would really look awesome on a hopped up NB TDI in addition to providing some strong upper end performance enhancements.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Skypup,

What kind of gaskets were included with the kit? Also, did you have any problems removing the existing one? (Were any nuts frozen? Is it (or was it) Stainless?)

I have been under my car just after shutting down. After taking off the lower engine cover , I have been amazed at the 'coolness' of the exhaust system. Especially the flexable part of the 'pipe'. The cat was also surprisingly cool, compared to my gas cars in the past. Do you know the different tempatures of gas vs diesel exhaust temps?

Even though this mod might not be $ wise for a non wetted or boxed TDI, it is something I would not mind doing. I have the K&N filter and this has upped my power out vs RPM's. My diesel mechanic Uncle ALWAYS puts a better exhaust system on his vehicles. Never any power mods. He also has NEVER put anything in his tank but diesel. Laughs at my additives! I told them they might be overkill but they make me feel better.

[This message has been edited by jaydhall (edited October 07, 1999).]

S

SkyPup

The OEM system is totally stainless throughout, I had to cut the pipe about 10 inches in front of the muffler with a recriprocating hack saw (the OEM is all one piece from cat back) in order to remove the stock system. All bolts and everything is stainless and were easy to remove with 13, 14, & 17mm sockets. It is REALLY a simple job. There are no real gaskets to speak of, I did not even put any of the liquid gasket coating material that Techtonics supplied with their system on anything as it is not really needed. The new system looks to be capable of operating a Peterbuilt without any problem, will be interesting to check for improvement in miles per gallon now too.
Diesel exhaust is considerably cooler than gasoline, especially pronounced with a comparo between diesel and gas turbos. Of course the cat gets hot due to the conversion of unburned exhaust creating more BTU when in contact with the ceramic honeycombed platinum catalyst, but the rest of the system is cool to the touch, not red hot like a gasser. Peak exhaust temp in a turbo TDI is about 850 C. under load, similar in a Turbonium gasser would be over 1100 if not more, so YES diesel is cooler, the system will last forever.

Keith

Veteran Member
Skypup: What about boost levels, any difference? Now you need a bigger downpipe.

Keith.