disaster

billy.whizz

TDI
golf mk6
I have a2010 1.6 tdi s mk6 golf common rail, the other half was driving it the other day, fuel was low so she filled up the tank too the top ,,, problem was she put in petrol:eek:then drove it half a mile before it stopped.. had it recovered and they pumped out the petrol and changed the fuel filter . she then drove it home about 60 miles without problem ,, I tried it this morning, sounded and ran really well no problems. by rights it should have a scrap pump!!!!. the only thing that is different is ,I normaly, put in 50 mm per tank full of fuel of arch oil 6900d fuel conditioner ,she put this in with the petrol,, is it possible that it lubed the pump enough too save it from total damage ? what do you think guys ? thanks for looking.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
How much petrol did she add, and how large is the tank?

It is possible that the combination of the remaining diesel and the lubricant mitigated the lack of lubrication in the fuel.

You already know the CR pumps are very sensitive to this. If you want to check if you truly dodged a bullet, pull the fuel filter housing cap and inspect for metal particles.

If you see any of significance, at least you have a chance to replace just the pump, and not the entire fuel system should the pump fail catastrophically.

billy.whizz

TDI
golf mk6
Windex thanks for your reply, the tank has around a 50 litre capacity, and the gauge showed about 5 miles left empty . when they pumped out flushed the system they fitted a new filter so they would have seen any bits in the bowl ( maybe) but yes its probably worth a look now its done a few miles. she filled the tank with about 45 litres and added some archoil 6900d concentrate (50 mm) which is a lubricant and cetain booster and cleaner all in one.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
It's too early to judge yet. Drive some miles, then pull the fuel filter for inspection.
Note that after you open up the fuel canister, you will need to prime the fuel system using OBD tool and software.

TRAMPLINEMAN

TDI
JSW
Note that after you open up the fuel canister, you will need to prime the fuel system using OBD tool and software.
No, you don’t. I’ve changed my fuel filter every 10K miles for 400K miles and never once needed an OBD tool or software. I know many others who do it the same way as I do and have never had a problem.

billy.whizz

TDI
golf mk6
ive changed the fuel filter before on this one, easy too change but I deff needed vcds too get the fuel pumped through, I tried without and it wouldn't work. I'm thinking of running it for a while then I will check the filter bowl.

billy.whizz

TDI
golf mk6
Guys, after doing a few miles , I lifted the fuel filter and checked inside, nothing clean no bits no swarf nothing, so I'm still no way closer too understanding why it didn't wreck the pump,one thing I did was too check with my insurance , they said that they would pay out for a miss fuel and any damage, although when we discussed this they said that the car would be scrap /total loss if any damage too the fuel system, would just need a engineer to visit and check it. so at the moment its on file as happened and if it blows later then I will get paid for it. I love the car and I'm not sure what I would buy if it died. love the diesel power and get up and go compared too petrol ,but with all the ho har over diesel cars maybe I will have too change over too petrol.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Mostly because gasoline won't necessarily trash the HPFP if a small amount of gas is pumped before the engine quites.

billy.whizz

TDI
golf mk6
seems your probably right, althought it was half a miles worth of petrol that it took in before it got shut off. anyways its running just as it always did now ,so will keep driving for a while. thanks for the replys.