Any suggestions for a good 0-50 Boost/ EGT dual gauge?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Looking for a 0-50 Boost/ EGT combo gauge

Love the data logging capabilities of the Autometer ones but don't like the fact that they do not have dual gauges.

Any suggestions for a good 0-50 Boost/ EGT dual gauge?

Any thoughts on this one? Superchips Lazer Boost & EGT gauge seems to offer some of the same limits functionality as the Autometer but they offer both parameters in one gauge

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
The mcnally is an option that is out there. they have 0-50 boost EGT combo gages.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tnx, I do have McNally right now and it is a consideration but I have had some issues with mine. I may end up going that route. I like the bells and whistles of the Autometer thought. Too bad they do not do a combo gauge.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Ask Justin about his Isspro setup. He can actually log right now (and log A LOT), I would still need to add a box for my Autometer setup to log anything.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Those aeroforce gages seem like a lot in a little package. Too bad it's just not a little more "analog" looking. I'm a sucker for needles, what can I say :eek:

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
I have the above gauge and I like it, records peaks while key power is applied and resets when the car is off.

It does have something that spins inside and hence generates a bit of heat but nothing like a head unit, as for the noise just be aware that it might present itself under certain circumstances. programmable via Rs-232 cable or touch screen. Think I have had it for a few years and no issues.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I was looking at the same SuperChips boost/EGT gauge about a week ago as a replacement for my flaky McNally. But, what I could not tell is if the SuperChips uses the pressure transducer like the McNally, which would make for easy plug-n-play, or does it use a tube like my old Stewart gauge. Do you know, Pierre?

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
the SPA's used to have a bad rep for problems. hopefully they have fixed it.

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
The Superchips/MSD uses a transducer, little black box with a short vacuum line attached then a wiring harness goes to the gauge. The thermocouple is I think is standard and has wires that go to the back of the gauge.

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
Superchips starts at 600? Doesn't that seem a little high to start with, if you cool down before shutting down? I like the looks and concept, would probably want it to start around 300 though.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I like the ISSPRO performax a lot. The ease of install was a huge plus. All the major wiring is done in the engine bay. Run the wires from the senders all to the control box. Then just 3 wires into the cabin. Daisy chaining from one gauge to the next, the 3 wires carry power, ground and signal to all of the possible 17 gauges you could run... Plus you dont have to run a gauge for every sensor you have installed. You can run 17 sensors, but just 1 gauge if you like. You can hot-swap the gauges..... Decide to run a gauge for IAT, as long as you have the sensor installed, just pull one of your other gauges and plug the IAT gauge in. You can run data-logging for all the extra sensors you have installed, and dont need to buy the gauges for them. Pretty neat. My only complaint is that you can hear the stepper motors just barely when at idle... This of course doesnt matter when you are driving, but still though I'd mention it.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like the ISSPRO performax a lot. The ease of install was a huge plus. All the major wiring is done in the engine bay. Run the wires from the senders all to the control box. Then just 3 wires into the cabin. Daisy chaining from one gauge to the next, the 3 wires carry power, ground and signal to all of the possible 17 gauges you could run... Plus you dont have to run a gauge for every sensor you have installed. You can run 17 sensors, but just 1 gauge if you like. You can hot-swap the gauges..... Decide to run a gauge for IAT, as long as you have the sensor installed, just pull one of your other gauges and plug the IAT gauge in. You can run data-logging for all the extra sensors you have installed, and dont need to buy the gauges for them. Pretty neat. My only complaint is that you can hear the stepper motors just barely when at idle... This of course doesnt matter when you are driving, but still though I'd mention it.
These sound pretty cool J. I was hoping to go with just one dual gauge. Too bad ISSPRO or Autometer don't make a dual gauge. So far, I think I am leaning towards the Aeroforce Interceptor mostly because it records, it can take 2 external analog and I love the shift light alarms... still need to see if they will work with the 4 bar MAP.

I was looking at the same SuperChips boost/EGT gauge about a week ago as a replacement for my flaky McNally. But, what I could not tell is if the SuperChips uses the pressure transducer like the McNally, which would make for easy plug-n-play, or does it use a tube like my old Stewart gauge. Do you know, Pierre?
No, I am not sure about that. From reading around, it seems the Superchips unit has a small controller which the sensors go into and then wiring goes from the controller to the gauge. It does not seem to offer as much functionality as the Aeroforce Interceptor

I am kindda leaning towards the Aeroforce Interceptor right now mostly because of the alarm.... I really like the shift light function. This is something one could really benefit on the track. I get so frickin excited that I tend to forget how hard I am pushing here... that's how I blew the HD last time..

I could set one parameter to alarm at say 5000 rpm and the other to alarm if water temp goes over a 205 degrees.

I am hoping it can work with the OEM 4 Bar map. I would set it up to show the standard Boost and EGT.

I would hope to use two external analog input to record EMP & EGT's.

They have a couple videos which shows the gauge in operation.

Last edited:

MichaelP

TDI
2000 Jetta ALH 5-speed
BTW - I'm a member here and the Engineering Manager at ISSPRO, in case anyone has any more questions (although Justin had an excellent description above).

Unfortunately we don't make a dual 2-1/16" gauge at this time.

One additional item that is handy on the Performax series is the peak recall function, just one button to recall the peak values of all of the gauges.

Some new stuff about to be released:
Standalone datalogger, which records the data directly on a USB drive, so you don't have to have the PC in the vehicle while logging. Available Jan 2011.
Integral warning lights for Performax gauges. Available mid-2011.

We already have integral warning lights available on the EV2 series of gauges, initially on the EGT, Fuel Pressure and Oil Pressure gauges (with pre-programmed alarm levels). When we finish the user programming utility we will offer user-selectable warnings on all of the EV2 gauges (mid-2011).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I like analog single gauges as then when you are pouring on the power you can just glance at the needle position. My EGT starts at 250 and my boost gauge is a 0-30.

I know when the EGT is around 4:00 I am getting dangerously hot, and my boost gauge does need more room but I know when I peg it occasional as I am running 26 psi sustained with my tune.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tnx for the info Michael. This sounds like it will be a useful product. Do you have any info on your data logger which will be released shortly?

What does it log the data into? excel worksheet? Will it be able to log data from the cars OEM instrumentation as well? How many metric and it log at the same time? i.e. rpm, boost, etc...

tnx

BTW - I'm a member here and the Engineering Manager at ISSPRO, in case anyone has any more questions (although Justin had an excellent description above).

Unfortunately we don't make a dual 2-1/16" gauge at this time.

One additional item that is handy on the Performax series is the peak recall function, just one button to recall the peak values of all of the gauges.

Some new stuff about to be released:
Standalone datalogger, which records the data directly on a USB drive, so you don't have to have the PC in the vehicle while logging. Available Jan 2011.
Integral warning lights for Performax gauges. Available mid-2011.

We already have integral warning lights available on the EV2 series of gauges, initially on the EGT, Fuel Pressure and Oil Pressure gauges (with pre-programmed alarm levels). When we finish the user programming utility we will offer user-selectable warnings on all of the EV2 gauges (mid-2011).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax