What did you do to your TDI today, during the coronavirus shelter-at-home?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did you do to your TDI today, while the COVID-19 pandemic is going on?

Thought I'd start a more fun thread - what did you do to your TDI today (while you're at home because of the coronavirus pandemic)?
For starters, I changed the vacuum hoses in my 2004 Golf, fixing my overboost problem, breaking the nipple on my vacuum reservoir (and stealing one from my ALH for the time being), replacing the rubber grommet on my brake booster, and struggling with stripped triple squares as I was in the process of swapping CV axles with 2 that I rebuilt.

Last edited:

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I've been going to work so all I did was drive it... Does that count?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I'd like us to refrain from talking about the virus or mentioning it completely I'm totally fine with us talking about what we did while on lockdown and the things that effected out TDIs but let's make sure not to get carried away. I for one come here to escape from all the madness.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I am going to change out the front struts and replace my monsoon radio with a modern day radio system.

I will be doing all this while drinking Corona beer.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Don’t forget to get Lyme disease for that corona.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Staying at home and driving mama instead of the car

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Down at the beach, drove past the closed beach signs and onto the 4x4 only area , they can come down and drag us out if they can make it. That's our grocery store. TDIwise removed all of the sound deadening foam from wheel wells.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Took it into the shop for an alignment, after getting new tires. Needed a battery, so told them to do that as well. Check on a stabilization fault that has been showing up I think due to low battery. Last time I was in they said the battery was getting weak and it has been starting slower so I decided this was the time to do it.

brandsheph

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Cleaned and lubricated sunroof rails. Used white lithium grease, in case anyone is wondering. Read differing opinions for hours about whether the expensive VW grease was worth it and decided it wasn't for me. I'll delete this post in a year if my sunroof breaks and I need help. :D

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Still doing the conversion to trucklet project on my Jettachero. [Shameless plug: It's in the TDI Conversions forum!] I don't feel like I'm locked down as when I was most recently working; I was doing it from home anyway. Now I'm out a lot more than I was before!

Cheers!

PH

IndyJoe

TDI
2012 Passat
I sent my Passat to the dealer the other day for them to figure out EGR bull**** under the extended emissions warranty. Have a base '19 Jetta 1.4T as a rental.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I'd like us to refrain from talking about the virus or mentioning it completely I'm totally fine with us talking about what we did while on lockdown and the things that effected out TDIs but let's make sure not to get carried away. I for one come here to escape from all the madness.
That's why I created this thread.

As for me - I struggled last night figuring out how to rebuild a CV joint. Figured that out, then found 2 of my 6 M8 inner CV bolts were stripped. After calling it a night, I used an angle grinder to get them off this afternoon. Then I found my faulty axle is fused to the hub (as the car is originally from Quebec). Replaced the hub with one from my parts car. Took it out for a test drive and so far, everything's golden.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
In a way I am jealous... my Vanagon and Eurovan owner's crowds have been busy with stuff at home, too. I am still working every day, albeit we are a bit slow. But since we have been designated an "essential" service....

Truth be told, we service two major medical courier lab fleets (Labcorp and Quest), and so long as Quest has a fleet of Chevy Trax and Subaru Foresters, we'll be busy. :rolleyes:

I have a boatload of stuff of my own projects I would love to do, though. I spent two Saturdays in a row about a month ago on a couple of my own cars. My one Passat has been graced with a new torque converter that finally gave up after 215k miles, and my '99.5 Golf has been updated with a transmission and shifter/linkage from a 2005... no more crappy rando-shifts provided by its broken stamped steel shifter box! :D

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Nothing ........ they're all maintenance free (like the battery):D

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Need to figure out what causes a timing belt on an ALH to track to the side and wear itself down to 2/3 of normal width.. What do I look for and how do I check/fix?

My dads Jetta just ate its valves & lifters while pulling a hill. We ordered a replacement head and install kit from idparts to keep the car going. parts will be here in a week

oilhammer

TDI
Aaron, only thing I could think to do on that is maybe carefully scrutinize the aluminum mounting bracket for anything out of alignment. If the pump is not true, the belt will not be either. Might be worth swapping it over with another one just to rule it out. It should have a dowel on it that indexes to the block, you'd need to remove it to see it. It is in between the top two mounting bolt holes.

Also a bent stud on either the lower small roller or the tensioner could cause something to be off. Obviously the tensioner stud will be changed with the head, but the lower one in the block could be suspect.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I might put fuel in the JSW and get it washed today. Then back into the garage while I try to figure out how to make an hour's worth of work last for 8.

Oh wiat, while Im out getting fuel, I can get more toilet paper!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Just my two cents Aaron, if you're up for going out and about. Junkyards, at least here in Texas, are considered "essential businesses", so we can still grab parts. Not sure of the availability of ALH heads. Our junkyard has one ALH, that I just pulled a transmission from (and one of the NASTIEST engine bays, complete with rodent excrement and still live cockroaches). But I've pulled a whole block and 2 good ALH heads from the junkyard before. With core charge, the block came out to $100. Don't get me wrong - I like IDParts and just ordered my GKN CV joint rebuild kits from them, but if I can save some coin going elsewhere, I will!

I have a boatload of stuff of my own projects I would love to do, though. I spent two Saturdays in a row about a month ago on a couple of my own cars. My one Passat has been graced with a new torque converter that finally gave up after 215k miles, and my '99.5 Golf has been updated with a transmission and shifter/linkage from a 2005... no more crappy rando-shifts provided by its broken stamped steel shifter box! :D
Don't all the mk4s have stamped steel shifter boxes? Or were they different somehow on the 1999?

oilhammer

TDI
Don't all the mk4s have stamped steel shifter boxes? Or were they different somehow on the 1999?
1998 and 1999 cars have the junky leftover A3 shifter bits. They changed them in 2000, and changed them again in 2003.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
got a new tire.. if road hazard insurance denies the claim its $150.81 ill have to pay. Tires have maybe 2k on them. Just had put my summers on. Bah. stupid potholes. looks like ill have to avoid all of them. On a lighter note, it is the first flat ive ever had.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Took it out and did some 0-60 tests.

7.79 seconds. Tested with an Ultraguage.

Tried to keep wheel spin to a minimum in first gear. The hardest thing with a stage 4 tune is getting traction to start moving.

I thought that was kind of lame, but then I looked up the stock time and it should be around 11.2 seconds. So it’s quite an improvement over stock.

Third gear is required to reach that speed, so I guess it’s not a bad time considering two shifts are included in the time. (Manual transmission)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi

Tried to keep wheel spin to a minimum in first gear. The hardest thing with a stage 4 tune is getting traction to start moving.

I thought that was kind of lame, but then I looked up the stock time and it should be around 11.2 seconds. So it’s quite an improvement over stock.

Third gear is required to reach that speed, so I guess it’s not a bad time considering two shifts are included in the time. (Manual transmission)
Not bad. i brought mine up to 130 (gps actual) to clean out the exhaust and work the engine. (after the tire was replaced) not sure what my 0-60 time is with my 4500lb jsw with stage 2 tune and dsg tune. pretty stable at speed.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta

I must ask what car you're talking about. 11.2 stock, doesn't sound like any TDI, unless dropped from an airplane...lol

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I must ask what car you're talking about. 11.2 stock, doesn't sound like any TDI, unless dropped from an airplane...lol

2004 Golf TDI. Everything I can find online suggests the 0-60 time is normally around 10 to 12 seconds. I never tested it myself before modifying it.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
2004 Golf TDI. Everything I can find online suggests the 0-60 time is normally around 10 to 12 seconds. I never tested it myself before modifying it.
Lol... I thought you were referring to 1/4 mile time....now, that would be something...[emoji106]

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I got through about 30 seconds until it just started to sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. That guy has way too much time on his hands.