In real big s***. Remote key won't work, key neither.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Alright I have two cars (2000 golf and jetta). I removed the batteries from the Jetta's remote to put them into my golf's remote (which apparently never worked). I tried it, and lo and behold, it does work, even after swimming with it since I thought it never worked in the first place. Yay!

So I put the battery back into the jetta's remote, and it no longer works. At. All. Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Now this gets pretty tricky. I can not activate or deactivate the alarm using the regular key in the driver side door. All it does it opens and closes it. I can even open the door and get into the car with the alarm apparently still activated (door sensor doesn't work either???). I'm wondering, if I start the car, will the alarm go off?

Any advice besides going to the dealer?

edit: I tried starting the golf with the alarm activated, and it worked. Tried on the Jetta, and of course......... BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. I think I'm going to take the driver door apart tomorrow.

Last edited:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I read something like that, but I can't do that because I can not activate/deactivate the alarm manually. For now I removed fuse 6 and 14, so no alarm. I'll need to fix the driver's door locking mechanism most probably.

Little interesting update: I tried installing the chip from my Golf's remote key into a new one, which was a newer version. I ended up forcing it a bit, and noticed it didn't fit. I put it back into the old one, and started freaking out thinking I ruined it, since it no longer worked. As a last resort I searched how to reset the remote and landed upon this post.

...Press the open button of the radio wave remote control once and then either lock or unlock the vehicle within one minute with the mechanical key."

And it worked! I'll have to do this on my Jetta as well, but for that, like I said, I need to fix the manual locking mechanism. :D

Last edited: