How do I increase horsepower in TDI

toridzone

I have a 2002 Jetta TDI 1.9 diesel, I would like to increase the horsepower in the Jetta without spending too much money but also keep the same gas mileage around 49MPG. Is there a way to do this? Any response would be gladly appreciated.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Chip it, you will be happy!

AMEN TO THAT!!!! Just had my Jetta chipped and it's causing me great concern that everytime I get out of my car I look like some kind of grinning fool! Power increase is immediately noticeable and it's still easy to drive sedately, although that takes a great amount of will-power!

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
UPsolute chip for $350. Factory specs are 90hp/155ftlbs to the wheels. With the UP chip you can expect 115hp/200ftlbs at the wheels.

kawika

i just got myself a 2002 as well (a little under 3000 miles on her) ... i installed the power tuning box from speedtuning and shes like a bat outta hell ... the main reason i got it was so i could remove it if needed for warranty issues. its an incredible difference. id recommend talking to oli about it. i plan on chipping my car as well ... but not till ive done a little more homework and checked with the VW mechanics to see if theyre cool enough to let it pass if they did happen to catch it.

[ September 25, 2002, 07:40: Message edited by: kawika ]

Steviebaba

TDI
2002 jetta
New to this diesel thing and the site.. Very nice site too, I must say. Very informative. Anyway, I got myself an older 2002 Jetta with 144000 k on it. Lady driven and in great shape. Got lucky I suppose. Found it a wee bit sluggish untill I had the upsolute mod done and threw in a cold air intake to start. Maaaan, what a difference. Incredible what you can do to these small 1.9 engines so I,m learning, but the Upsolute is a great place to start. Highly recommend it. I live outside the greater Toronto and I can give you guys the contact information if interested. Good guy, decent shop too. He's in the Oshawa area. PM me if interested.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Sweet, those cold air intakes are cool, what brand did you get?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Holy Exhumation, Batman... No offense to anyone but, that's pretty funny. :rolleyes: Things have come a long way since Upsolute and Wett were the only players in town.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yup, credit where credit is due. Now to the frowny-faces:
..threw in a cold air intake ...
You already had a cold air intake, and more likely you are sucking warmer air than you did. This time of year, it won't matter much (if at all) but in the summer it will, except the turbocharger will hide most of the problems you just caused.

Now for the kicker: what kind of pretend air filter are you using? In other words, care to wager on how long your new found performance will last before you find you have just fried your not-cheap-to-replace MAF sensor?