TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I love those. Wonder what parts availability is like? That looks like a very nice example.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I love those. Wonder what parts availability is like? That looks like a very nice example.
Apparently IDParts doesn't carry anything for it ;)

Heads are unobtanium, filters are expensive. The motors are fairly common in Europe but only 1500 came stateside and only with the automatic.
Everything else is pretty much standard e28 so BMW has parts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's not a TDI. :D Although in fairness we do have parts for indirect injected diesels, but I think only Mercedes.

We do have these in our parking lot today.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
No, it isn't. Koni brought 3 BMW 330i and two Mustangs yesterday for comparison drives to test stock suspension against their new Koni Special Actives. The third BMW had Koni Sports on it. I drove all three BMWs (didn't drive the Mustangs) and the Special Actives are pretty amazing. They fix what I don't like about the stock dampers on my 335d. I think some of those are going on my car soon.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Good stuff! the 335d suspension leaves a bit to be desired. We got lucky and found some used ohlins locally, blown away by how smooth they are.

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
Hi guys. After being diesel free for several years I’m back again with F15 35D and Cayenne diesel. Both 2015. FYI, there are tons of great deals from Porsche for 15-16 Cayenne Diesels with amazing 6year/unlimited miles bumper to bumper warranty.

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
Low to high 40s for ‘15-16 vehicles with 10-40k miles. Paid for mine 47K, 16k miles, MSRP 77k, warranty expires in 11/21.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Get my application ready.

I'm flying down to Florida tomorrow morning to pick up a low miles 335d, sport & premium packages, paddle shifters, nav, some other niceties. Will probably do some things we can't speak about here to it before summer is up and then enjoy the hell out of it.

I'm keeping the GSW and selling the GTI. All-diesel fleet.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Get my application ready.

I'm flying down to Florida tomorrow morning to pick up a low miles 335d, sport & premium packages, paddle shifters, nav, some other niceties. Will probably do some things we can't speak about here to it before summer is up and then enjoy the hell out of it.

I'm keeping the GSW and selling the GTI. All-diesel fleet.
Go ahead and talk about it....people love to brag about making their cars off road use only....it is crazy to me to buy these car and then spend a whole lot of money to make them illegal

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Go ahead and talk about people love to brag about making there cars off road only....
With the 335d, I’ve read so much about carbon buildup and failed emissions bits that a bit of an “adjustment” to the car seems the way to make them last 200k miles without paying $20,000 in repairs. Any power gained is a nice benefit, but it’s more a matter of survival from what I’m reading.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Yes I have heard that! VW had basically the same problem.....but it was much easier to clean the Intake....have fun I really like my 328D

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
With the 335d, I’ve read so much about carbon buildup and failed emissions bits that a bit of an “adjustment” to the car seems the way to make them last 200k miles without paying $20,000 in repairs. Any power gained is a nice benefit, but it’s more a matter of survival from what I’m reading.
My 335d went over 100,000 miles with no outward signs of CBU. If I was to buy a used one, I would wait until it needed cleanup since the cost is not too bad, and maybe then do the mods.

I always use branded diesel, drive long highway miles routinely, and always use the LL04 oil. No additives to muck up the fuel or oil chemistry. No CBU in any of my direct injected diesels some after 165,000 to 200,000 miles.

TM

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I read and will heed TinMan’s words. Car is too nice to mess with right now.

Purchase is complete and we’re about to head up I-95.

Here it is, while the link is still live: https://www.bmwinmelbourne.com/inventory/used-2011-bmw-3-series-335d-rwd-4dr-car-wbapn7c55ba781611
more and more TDI Guys moving up to BMW Diesels! Nice Car!!
Dealer almost had to buy me a new Motor after an Oil Change service last week....arrived home with OIL on the ground...Their story was a defective "O" on the Oil Filter....:(

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I read and will heed TinMan’s words. Car is too nice to mess with right now.

Purchase is complete and we’re about to head up I-95.

Here it is, while the link is still live: https://www.bmwinmelbourne.com/inventory/used-2011-bmw-3-series-335d-rwd-4dr-car-wbapn7c55ba781611
If you haven't already joined, there is a Facebook group called North America BMW Diesel Owners Group. Great resource to have, especially for those that DIY. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dealer almost had to buy me a new Motor after an Oil Change service last week....arrived home with OIL on the ground...Their story was a defective "O" on the Oil Filter....:(
Damn Tom, I’m glad you didn’t go too far in that condition. Unreal. :mad:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you haven't already joined, there is a Facebook group called North America BMW Diesel Owners Group. Great resource to have, especially for those that DIY. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM
Yes, I actually sent a Join request to that group this morning as it seemed to be the most active and most members on this side of the pond.

And thanks for the PM channel. I may use it.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Damn Tom, I’m glad you didn’t go too far in that condition. Unreal. :mad:
Yes I was a little Pissed......they tried to BS out of it but I cut them off.....
They put me in a 540I for a few hours! That is a seriously nice car! I bought an extended warranty to keep from having to do this stuff myself. And they can’t even change the oil without F*ckng it up! This is a really nice car and it came through this dealer and was Leased through this dealer.....and was less than 10 miles from me during it’s Lease life.....but I have found some stuff I don’t like....all wheels had been screwed up at one time or another....
How h ip back from Florida?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes I was a little Pissed......they tried to BS out of it but I cut them off.....
They put me in a 540I for a few hours! That is a seriously nice car! I bought an extended warranty to keep from having to do this stuff myself. And they can’t even change the oil without F*ckng it up! This is a really nice car and it came through this dealer and was Leased through this dealer.....and was less than 10 miles from me during it’s Lease life.....but I have found some stuff I don’t like....all wheels had been screwed up at one time or another....
The trip back from Florida was fun! Left Saturday around 3pm from Melbourne and hauled *ss up I-95 to stay in Florence SC for the night, also filling up next to the hotel. Got 32 mpg averaging 78mph with stops. Much of that was doing 90+ behind various rabbits.

I must also say that the dealer experience at BMW of Melbourne was outstanding. I have never been treated like that buying a new car, let alone a $14K used car. They knew I was flying down and the car was prepped prior to my arrival. They allowed me to take an hour long test ride out on 95 and get it up into triple digit speeds. They went right down the checklist of going through every detail of the car and setting up phone and such. Full tank of diesel, etc.

While we were waiting for the finance mgr to process the customer ahead of us, I was stuffing my face in their lounge and the GM struck up a conversation with my 10 year old son. Then he walked him over to the swag counter and grabbed him a BMW Motorsports hat (which I’m now jealous of), then let him pick out a diecast car of his choice (a 4 series, ***?), then gave him an M Sport insulated coffee tumbler, then gave me a BMW Motorsports tumbler.

Then, he said “why don’t you guys go kill some time” and gave me the keys to their M6 demo. I exercised all 580 hp. :D

Seriously, this was for a guy buying a 2011. What a terrific dealer. My son is hooked on BMW for life. Smart man that GM.

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
The trip back from Florida was fun! Left Saturday around 3pm from Melbourne and hauled *ss up I-95 to stay in Florence SC for the night, also filling up next to the hotel. Got 32 mpg averaging 78mph with stops. Much of that was doing 90+ behind various rabbits.

I must also say that the dealer experience at BMW of Melbourne was outstanding. I have never been treated like that buying a new car, let alone a $14K used car. They knew I was flying down and the car was prepped prior to my arrival. They allowed me to take an hour long test ride out on 95 and get it up into triple digit speeds. They went right down the checklist of going through every detail of the car and setting up phone and such. Full tank of diesel, etc.

While we were waiting for the finance mgr to process the customer ahead of us, I was stuffing my face in their lounge and the GM struck up a conversation with my 10 year old son. Then he walked him over to the swag counter and grabbed him a BMW Motorsports hat (which I’m now jealous of), then let him pick out a diecast car of his choice (a 4 series, ***?), then gave him an M Sport insulated coffee tumbler, then gave me a BMW Motorsports tumbler.

Then, he said “why don’t you guys go kill some time” and gave me the keys to their M6 demo. I exercised all 580 hp. :D

Seriously, this was for a guy buying a 2011. What a terrific dealer. My son is hooked on BMW for life. Smart man that GM.
Good GM! One of the reasons I can’t stay away from bmw. Just wait till you start getting emails about the free bmw driving events. They hand you the keys to all sorts of bmw’s and the other brands (competition). Great times.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
BMW dealer service is just as bad a VW dealer service at some BMW dealers. It is sad because an oil change on a BMW diesel is no harder than a TDI oil change. The oil filter is slightly different and the engine holds more oil (8 quarts) but the oil change is very much like a TDI oil change. The oil filter is accessible from the top just like in a TDI. The oil used is the same or similar to what a CR TDI uses. VW 507.00 oils all have BMW LL-04 rating on them and the LL-04 spec is slightly less stringent than 507.00 and is similar to MB229.51 and VW 505.01. I use oils that have BMW LL-04, MB229.51, and VW 507.00 ratings on them. A 507.00 5W-30 oil for a CR TDI is perfect for a BMW diesel since it also is LL-04 rated.

I do all oil changes in my BMWs just like I did with my TDIs. Fortunately the diesel BMWs still have a traditional dipstick so you can do a topside oil change with an extractor pump just like with a TDI. The gasser BMWs no longer have a dipstick to check the oil level. The gassers only have an electronic oil level readout on the iDrive display. I like have an electronic oil level display in addition to the dipstick. I want BOTH indicators. The electronic oil level sensor provides continuous monitoring of the oil level. A traditional dipstick technically fails this test except when you check the level. While I like having the electronic oil level readout, I still want a dipstick and the dipstick reading has the final say in case of any discrepancy in readings.

A DIY oil change on a BMW diesel is no harder than a TDI oil change. It is sad that some BMW dealers can't do an oil change without totally expletive-ing it up.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Mk7 TDIs have bottom side filters. :(

As well as a connection you have to unplug and a coolant hose you have to move out of the way of the drip stream.