TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I went from a 2011 335d sport package to a "regular" 2016 535d, which handles just fine but doesn't feel as sporty as the 335d. The fuel economy is 8 mpg better at 38 overall compared to what I got with the same driving at 30 mpg with the 335d. Much better comfort for my "portly" body as well as a bit more cargo capacity. The double wishbone suspension is better than the McPherson strut of the e90 but the steering is only so-so even with the LCI improvements on the f10.

Would really prefer to have all my previous cars in my stable but reality sinks in.....

Last edited:

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
Thinking of joining the SSBMWO with a 328d. Looked at a couple now and found a nice one with 67k miles on the clock.

How much soot on the tailpipe is normal? Digital rectal exam showed a light coating, but the bottom of the tailpipe is black.

After ruling out a Jetta due to DPF failure issues, I don't want to get into something similar on a Bimmer.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Thinking of joining the SSBMWO with a 328d. Looked at a couple now and found a nice one with 67k miles on the clock.

How much soot on the tailpipe is normal? Digital rectal exam showed a light coating, but the bottom of the tailpipe is black.

After ruling out a Jetta due to DPF failure issues, I don't want to get into something similar on a Bimmer.
zero soot you should see

328d scoots along quite well with a nice tune.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The 328d Xdrive Transfer case is suspect......especially after 60K miles, Mine is going in shortly for it’s final service under warranty and I am going to ask that it be checked
3-4K to replace

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Has anyone here changed their transmission fluid in the ZF 8 speed?
I got fluid from Northside Imports the other day and guy gave me fluid for ZF 9 speed saying that they received memo from BMW saying that this is correct fluid for BMW diesel vehicles and said something about lawsuit they lost after selling one customer fluid for 8 speed and his transmission failing shortly after he changed it. Has anyone heard anything like that? I searched on ZF website and they show 8 speed fluid as the correct type.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2014 BMW 328d, X Drive
I emailed ZF to ask what they recommend on my 2014 328d Xdrive (my dealer was very hesitant to do it "life time fill").
ZF answered 40-60k miles. I had a GOOD independent rebuilder perform the trans and transfer case fluid change at about 50k. I now have 64k without any problems.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I emailed ZF to ask what they recommend on my 2014 328d Xdrive (my dealer was very hesitant to do it "life time fill").
ZF answered 40-60k miles. I had a GOOD independent rebuilder perform the trans and transfer case fluid change at about 50k. I now have 64k without any problems.
Did you ask about what fluid to use?
I'm curious to know what are the differences between BMW ATF-3 and BMW ATF-3+. That is the recommended fluid by BMW but at $70/bottle (1 liter) I'll pass.

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
I remember, I had the dealer change the transfer case fluid and the transmission rebuilder change the trans fluid because my dealer was so reluctant to do it. I had the TC done first and then emailed ZF for their advice on fluid changes.
I don't know what the P/N was of the trans fluid other than they advertise "OEM recommended".
The firm that I used specializes in rebuilding transmissions and remanning automatic trannys for racing.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
If I get a tune it will be from “Rocketchip” not sure I want to chance blowing the Transfer case though
Same here. Rocketchip is the only tuner I will do business with, based on experience from Jeff tuning 3 TDIs I've owned over the years.

I am leaving my 2014 535dx and 2012 X5 35d bone stock. The 535dx is only at 140k miles and climbing. The X5 35d is only at 241k miles and climbing and still has the original DPF. BMWs don't have many upgrade paths like what we had with our TDIs and will be a lot more pricey to fix if I break them.

Last edited:

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
I brought my 328d Xdrive in last week for the recall. My dealer replaced an "aluminum flex disc". They had the car for 24 hours because he told me the repair parts were VIN specific.
Not a problem since I had a new 330i loaner.
I do not know if the fluid in the transfer case was changed....did not show in the service report which leads me to believe it wasn't changed.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I brought my 328d Xdrive in last week for the recall. My dealer replaced an "aluminum flex disc". They had the car for 24 hours because he told me the repair parts were VIN specific.

Not a problem since I had a new 330i loaner.

I do not know if the fluid in the transfer case was changed....did not show in the service report which leads me to believe it wasn't changed.
Sounds like it's an external part that doesn't require draining of fluid. Probably a good idea to do it on your own.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
I have a deal in the works on a 328d. Owner is upside down and needs to clear the lien before we can complete the transaction. It must suck to have to write a check to sell your car!

There is one I would have rather bought is east TX, but the cost of the travel to make it work just did not make sense.

Is there a bimmer forum where people actually work on their own cars?

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I have a deal in the works on a 328d. Owner is upside down and needs to clear the lien before we can complete the transaction. It must suck to have to write a check to sell your car!

There is one I would have rather bought is east TX, but the cost of the travel to make it work just did not make sense.

Is there a bimmer forum where people actually work on their own cars?
I believe bimmerforums has a diesel community but from what I heard it's mostly about power upgrades, I haven't checked it out myself. Still, you will find a lot of useful information not related directly to diesel. Those cars share a lot of parts.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
OK, pulled the trigger on a 2014 328d sedan. Kind of plain Jane as it has no nav. Has everything else I need though.

60k miles, $12.5k

This is "my wife's car" but since I drive whenever we are together i will get a lot of seat time. She has commented several times already that she likes the way it drives.

BMW life day 2 started with a TPMS warning. All tires are within 1 PSI and a little over inflated, so must be based on wheel sensor data.

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I believe bimmerforums has a diesel community but from what I heard it's mostly about power upgrades, I haven't checked it out myself. Still, you will find a lot of useful information not related directly to diesel. Those cars share a lot of parts.

Aside from the engine, exhaust system, and DDE module, all the F3x cars have nearly identical ECUs and parts. Bimmerpost and Bimmerfest are definitely good resources. For those that like to wrench on their own cars, ISTA and newTIS are essential.

The transfer case recall replaces the rubber-damped aluminum guibo with a fully rubber one. The facelifted versions should already have it and are not on the recall.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Has anyone here changed their transmission fluid in the ZF 8 speed?
I got fluid from Northside Imports the other day and guy gave me fluid for ZF 9 speed saying that they received memo from BMW saying that this is correct fluid for BMW diesel vehicles and said something about lawsuit they lost after selling one customer fluid for 8 speed and his transmission failing shortly after he changed it. Has anyone heard anything like that? I searched on ZF website and they show 8 speed fluid as the correct type.

For those that are planning on changing transmission fluid in their BMWs.
I contacted ZF in regards to what fluid should be used in ZF HP8 transmission and was told that both, ZF8 as well as ZF9 fluids are perfectly fine to use and mix in those transmissions.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
.........For those that like to wrench on their own cars, ISTA and newTIS are essential.......
Great info, What is the best place to buy ISTA? I see a download on ebay or from bimmerdiagnostics.com. Are they both legit? Looks like they are both out of the UK.