n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
My BEW PD engine has a -Q ECU

Uwe said:
If anyone would like this file, it's here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/label-files/038-906-016-H.LBL

(Right click on the link to download it, left clicking will likely just show you the contents in your browser).

At some point we'll probably integrate that into the 03-01 redirection file so it's used by all BEW engines, not just the -H ECUs.

-Uwe-
The ECU in my 05 PD Jetta Wagen (engine code BEW) has a -Q at the end of the part number.

I picked up my 05 PD Wagen back in April '05. I'm not sure when the car was built.

technocrat

TDI
jetta, 2004, tan
n1das said:
The ECU in my 05 PD Jetta Wagen (engine code BEW) has a -Q at the end of the part number.

I picked up my 05 PD Wagen back in April '05. I'm not sure when the car was built.
Is there a vag-com label file for the BEW 038-916-016-Q engine yet?

Sebastian

Vendor
technocrat said:
Is there a vag-com label file for the BEW 038-916-016-Q engine yet?
Since nobody contacted me as requested (above), the answer is pretty much: no.

*edit*

Actually I received files, but due to my own mistake it got lost. :(

Last edited:

Sebastian

Vendor

RichS

Veteran Member
TDI
05 VW Jetta Wagon 5sp
Sebastian said:
Since nobody contacted me as requested (above), the answer is pretty much: no.
I'm sorry that the adaptation file and block listing file for the 038-906-016-Q engine control module that I sent you the last week of December didn't help. I was going to email you and see if there was anything else I could do, but I was waiting because I knew you were in the process of moving.
:(

Sebastian

Vendor
RichS said:
I'm sorry that the adaptation file and block listing file for the 038-906-016-Q engine control module that I sent you the last week of December didn't help. I was going to email you and see if there was anything else I could do, but I was waiting because I knew you were in the process of moving.
:(
Sorry Rich, the file was helpful, but somehow (no clue why) my email folder got damaged and the file was gone. So nevermind my own mistakes/problems, hope this file now helps and as said, there are still gaps, e.g. the other adaptation channels and some more measuring blocks. These things will be filled, not today, but as soon as possible.

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
Sebastian said:
Ok, here we go...

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/label-files/03-01.lbl
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/label-files/038-906-016-BEW.lbl

This file covers the following ECU's:

038-906-016-AG
038-906-016-H
038-906-016-Q

The file has been created from scratch to be used as template for future EDC16 files and does not contain the data of the old 038-906-016-H.LBL, if I find some more time, it will be completed with some more info about the other blocks.

Any hints/suggestions?
Sebastian,

Thank you very much for your work. I now have labels on my measuring blocks on my BEW motor with the -AG ECU.

I owe ya a cold one next time you are in N. Florida... :D

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
So I have Prodiag software for my PDA now and none of the blocks are labeled. They have units on most values and that helps condsiderably. But, does anyone know, or can anyone, post the blocks and values for me? They are substantially different than the ALH ECU posted by MoGolf in the first post. I've figured out the most important ones, but there is lots of ones that I don't know.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Nevermind ya'll!!! Dave helped me out and pointed me in the direction of simply looking at the files that Sebastian posted. :)

plavis

TDI
BORA (Jetta MK IV)
Is this readings OK?

The car is Eu Bora/Jetta ATD PD 100.
EGR duty cycle is always the same 84.5%, except when I press accelerate pedal. When the engine is accelerating duty cycle is lower. When engine accelerates to demanded rpm, it's back to 84.5%

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
How about the PD engine.

I have looked over this list and have looked at the stuff at Ross-Tech and I still have questions. This list is very good and helpful for many things, but I'm still a bit confused on some things especailly with thee PD engine. There are measuring blocks with a description (like 23 on the PD engine) that says something, but what is it really about? What does it tell us?

There are others, and at this time I won't bore you with all of my questions, so I will ask, where can I find more info on what each of these blocks mean? The definition is fine, but sometimes it doesn't tell me enough (see block 23 on the PD engine).

How can I figure out what they mean to the operation of the engine?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I am finding some discrepancies w/my ECU 038 906 012 CP and the Group list at the head of this post. I have no Group 21 (too bad, it looks like a good grouping of values), I do have a Group 24 (temps), etc. I'm editing my label file to accomodate my findings. I feel for Ross-Tech trying to make a solid product in a liquescent environment.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Group 16

Group 016 (additional heater)

Generator loading
Additional heater
Activation of heater elements
Voltage supply from ECM

Additional heater display is 8 digit number where, left to right, 1 =
nothing
nothing
ECT sensor inoperative
engine started within the last 10 seconds
engine speed below 870 rpm
battery voltage below 9 volts
generator inoperative
ECT exceeds 70 C-80C (158F - 176F), or intake air temp exceeds 5C (41F)

Activation of heater elements is a 2 digit number. Left digit = 1 when high heat output relay is on. Right digit = 1 when low heat output relay is on.
OK, so I had a flashing battery light tonight. I checked this group and first I had something like 20-some% loading and 14.3X supply voltage.

I had no flashing light at this time.

I shut off the engine then checked voltage: 13.2V. I then restarted engine and still no flashing battery light, but now I was at 99.X% loading and 12.1V.

I'm thinking grounds or regulator. What think you?

crosscr

TDI
2000 Beetle
Sebastian said:
Ok, here we go...

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/label-files/03-01.lbl
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/label-files/038-906-016-BEW.lbl

This file covers the following ECU's:

038-906-016-AG
038-906-016-H
038-906-016-Q

The file has been created from scratch to be used as template for future EDC16 files and does not contain the data of the old 038-906-016-H.LBL, if I find some more time, it will be completed with some more info about the other blocks.

Any hints/suggestions?
Does anyone have anything for a 038-906-16-AB

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
So I realize the thread's dormant...nevertheless, this looks like the best one in which to post my query.:eek:
Can someone explain the procedure for testing groups 008 and 011 (3000rpm in 3rd at WOT etc)?

zeaustar

TDI
golf mk4 tdi
A_Shifter said:
you want to do this on a rolling road or get someone on the computer while you drive.
go to measuring blocks and click where it says log. drive the car up to a long straight stretch of road, get to third gear and when you are at about 2500 rpm click the button where it says 'start'. now you want to floor the pedal (WOT= wide open throttle) and hold it there until you get to 3500 rpm then click 'stop' on the computer and then the other button that says, 'done,close'.
find this file using your browser and it will open in microsoft exell.
you will now be able to observe how the values change dependant on the revs

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
whitedog said:
OK, so I had a flashing battery light tonight. I checked this group and first I had something like 20-some% loading and 14.3X supply voltage.

I had no flashing light at this time.

I shut off the engine then checked voltage: 13.2V. I then restarted engine and still no flashing battery light, but now I was at 99.X% loading and 12.1V.

I'm thinking grounds or regulator. What think you?
Changed your alternator pulley yet? I did, charging went from 13.6 avg. to 14.2 avg.

Zrnojed

TDI
Passat tDI
Is this readings OK?

The car is Eu Bora/Jetta ATD PD 100.
EGR duty cycle is always the same 84.5%, except when I press accelerate pedal. When the engine is accelerating duty cycle is lower. When engine accelerates to demanded rpm, it's back to 84.5%

Anybody has an answer to this?
I have the same reading on my Passat 1.9 TDI PD AWX,and i wanna know if that is ok,or not!?:confused:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I can speak to all but the Inj. Duration... it all looks absolutely normal to me. Your MAF is reading a bit high for the EGR being open, other than that, I don't see any problems. Your choice of groups is limited and not the most interesting or telling when looking for problems. Do you have any?

Zrnojed

TDI
Passat tDI
I do not have problems,but i am interested-why is EGR cycle over edge of 70 %.
I had my neighbours passat on diagnostic,yesterday,and his reading was about 55-60 %.
I am also confused about,what,exactly is EGR duty cycle?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I see where your concern is now. I'm primarily experienced w/my ALH and have had my EGR 'neutered' for some time now. The operation of the ALH EGR is mostly digital in that it's either on or off and not much inbetween. Low duty cycle indicates off and high indicates on. Normally at idle, it will start off on and cycle to off after a minute or two. It goes off when accelerating but can come back on when cruising at a steady state. When on, it's recycling exhaust back into your intake tract. On your engine series, the logic may be more analog in that there are various states and degrees it may be on. Why your duty cycle is above the "normal" range may indicate a sticky mechanixm or clogged intake. I would interpret the overly-high duty cycle to mean your ECU is issuing the command to open but flow is not reacting as anticipated and measured by the MAF. The ECU therefore increases duty cycle to attempt to get the feedback it's expecting.

If you don't have "EGR Insufficient Flow" or other EGR related errors, I wouldn't be overly concerned. You may want to check your intake for clogging and verify your EGR is working properly with a Mity-Vac (assuming it's 100% vacuum operated). Also verify you have adequate vacuum (+/-30in/hg on and ALH) with no hose or connection leaks. Another test might be a leakdown test on the EGR actuator, again w/a Mity-Vac.

I've probably already said too much as I'm not an expert with your engine series. You may want to re-post this question in the Passat section and see if you have better luck.