What to look for in a TDI beetle??

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Looking into a TDI beetle convert. I have several in area to choose from. I assume this is the same 2,0 used in the Jettas and passats, correct? I have read they may have belt issues? Any insight would be helpful.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
According to IDParts that is correct. CVCA. I have not heard of any belt issues or had any with mine so far. There isn't much traffic here so don't hold your breath for an answer.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I've noticed the lack of participation in the Beetle area. Other areas are very actively responded too.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
A convertible would be fun. I wonder if the exhaust fumes would be noticeable while sitting in traffic with the top down? Probably very little fumes to speak of with new emissions equipment.

I would get the euro head lights if they can be added as an option.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have had a BMW convertible in the past. It is fun but the convertible tops have very real drawbacks. They wear out fast and are expensive to replace. Leaks, security, noise, etc...

I bought a set of projectors for mine but haven't installed them yet. Along with a RNS315 with nav and backup camera.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Does anyone have a relatively new beetle convert that has had to replace the top? I would think they would last at least 10yrs under normal weather and garaged.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Regarding convertibles in general: if weather permits, and you frequently make use of them, you have a garage to keep them in, and perhaps it is an "extra" car, they are great. Lots of fun!

But I would never, EVER, consider one as my primary vehicle unless perhaps I lived somewhere that allowed me to just keep the top down most of the time.

Regarding Volkswagen convertibles: their tops are among the best in the business. Well fitted, lots of attention to detail, lots of sound deadening, etc. However, this also makes them complicated, heavy, and expensive to repair, service, replace. I doubt anyone yet has had to replace the top on the last NCS based version of the Beetle. But I suspect it won't be any less painful to deal with than the New Beetle (4th gen Golf based) cars, which can often be a heart stopping experience, and most just get sold off as is. Also, some of the power window business can be frightfully expensive and complicated to deal with. There are also some other things on certain models like the rear fold up wings and the rollover protectors that can have issues. The newer versions may or may not have any of those type of problems, too new to know long term.

Jasper J

TDI
2015 Toffee Brown Beetle Convertible 6M
I'll come out of "lurk mode" for a moment...

I purchased a 2015 Toffee Brown Convertible "buy-back" this past April, and have put over 10k miles on it so far.

Have previously owned several TDIs and a New Beetle Convertible (a 2006 2.5l non-TDI).

The vert was a ton of fun with no major top problems, so a year after turning in my beloved 2010 Golf, I decided to combine both of my faves into one vehicle.

Found a 2015 CPO buy-back in DC with 6M, Sound and Nav, and drove it back to Utah.

So far it has been great! I have a 60+ mile round trip daily commute, with the top down as much as weather allows.

When topless, there is an occasional whiff of treated diesel exhaust fumes while the engine is warming up, but no more than you'd notice if your windows were rolled down in a non-convertible. Once the engine is warm and in full treatment mode it really isn't noticeable at all.

For VCDS mods, the BCM/ECU seem most related to the MK6 Jetta. I was able to enable the DRL "wink" mode using MK6 Jetta info from the Ross-Tech website.

I just did the 30k oil change-- not too bad overall. The underside Oil filter is a little fussy, but it is in about the same place as the 2.5l New Beetle, so I'm used to it. One Question: Do all TDI Beetles (2013+) have an aluminum skid plate? I was somewhat surprised to see this after all of the plastic ones on previously owned VWs.

I'll try to provide updates, if I run into any issues-- so far the only scare was when the top wouldn't open on command... turns out it was closed during a pop-up thunderstorm and the wet seals between the top and windshield dried and sort-of glued themselves together. After a little gentle persuasion all is good again. :D

This is my primary vehicle, but it gets garaged when home, and I have a '99 Ford Superduty PSD if things get real bad, but I drove the 06 vert occasionally during Salt Lake winters and it did great in the snow-- the biggest problem was the windows freezing to the top making it difficult to open the doors, oh, and the ground clearance. :p

I agree with Oilhammer-- VW knows how to make great convertibles (all the way back to the Karmann days). I'll add that the chassis is also really well braced and has a solid feel (the 2015 even more so than the 2006), but there are a lot of little moving parts making that top go up and down-- I almost wish there was a less complicated non-powered version available, but for now I'll cross my fingers and say a little prayer when opening or closing the top, hoping the VW engineering will come through again and provide me with the sun or covering that I desire. :D

I know this section of the forum is pretty quiet-- most of my TDI related ??s are usually answered in the MK6 Jetta, Passat or MK7 Golf forums, but I'll try to answer if any specific Beetle/Beetle Convertible questions arise.

oilhammer

TDI
All the 'verts have a more substantial under tray in front, yes. As do the Eos and TTs. Part of the extra bracing you mention.

Gummi Pfledge (yes, that is the correct spelling) works wonders for keeping all the rubber bits from sticking to things as well as helps keep stuff from creaking in the cold.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I want to thank Jasper and oilhammer for their posts, It helped me a lot it the decision process. I'm going to get one when I find a late CPO model or maybe order a new one.

oilhammer

TDI
And before too long, you will not be able order ANY new ones, as they have already announced the Beetle will be dropped from the lineup due to slow sales. I am sure Dieselgate didn't help, although I don't know how many potential buyers of them would have crossed the car off the list if no diesel option is available. I know there is absolutely nothing on the American Volkswagen dealer showroom that I would want to own new.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
My local dealer has sold several 2013-14 beetle convertibles. The premium are really nice with the led drls and 18” wheels. I have a ‘13 hardtop beetle, i had the windows freeze closed once, now if it rains before freezing i put a towel at the the top of the drivers side window and ease it up from the outside using the kessy door lock. The beetle is kept outside under a metal roof.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
After looking around at used converts it doesn't make sense to insist on a TDI, the availability is small and the prices are high for a used VW.. It will be a low mileage car,so fuel consumption isn't the biggest thing. I will probably keep the car for quite a while so the new warranty is very attractive. I'm leaning that way.

Howie09tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI(buyback gone) 2015 BEETLE TDI
Picked up a 2015 TDI Beetle fully loaded with 72 miles on it I now have 18k and love this car avg 40 mpg driving 135 miles/day

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Last week I bought a 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, white with tan top and interior. It is a really nice car and a lot of fun to drive. Has the gauge package, nav, backup cam. I like the automatic trans as well. Had to upgrade my VCDS, and now I am ready to learn all about this new engine and my experience has all be ALH.

Howie09tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI(buyback gone) 2015 BEETLE TDI
Can someone explain why my 2015 Beetle TDI goes into "limp mode" under hard acceleration? The glow plug light flashes, no codes found and cycling ignition clears it then car drives normally no power loss has happened 2x