PLEASE! When installing a 6 speed transmission, check the oil level!!!!

larsbar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Wow. So the shop screwed up, refuses to own their mistake, promises you a refund, doesn't give it, and threatens to withhold it if you tell anyone else about their mistake?
Even if they own up and pay for it now I would not trust someone like that.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Post #11

Edited as the shop has started to make payments to put this right.

Last edited:

NoJoke

Veteran Member
If I were to mediate this; I would put the offending shop on a monthly payment plan. If they reject or default, the customer needs to take them to small claims court for the provided parts and labor paid.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Post #12

Last edited:

Milage King

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TD tuned
This is really a mis fortunate situation, but I think the rest of the community will thank you for knowing who did the butcher work and hopefully save some headaches for other fellow club members. Sorrry Ryan.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I would love to see this club put together a fund to pursue bad shops, and engine killers like Prothe, I would donate to that fund in a minute

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Likewise, I get calls all the time from people that have thrown on Prothe/Rothenbacher engineering parts only to have them x-plode. :(

Good luck Ryan, sorry to hear that the troubles are ongoing.

-BB

DSLFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Too bad we can't do like in the 'ole days and have ourselves a little blanket party down in AZ - 8)

Derek@Exklusiv

TDI
Too many cars
Here's my side of the story - We installed 2 of these swaps on 2 of the same customers cars. The first one went fine with exception to a shift cable that arrived bent - likely due to the careless handling at customs. The parts were no longer palletized when arrived. The second one (one in question) was completed late in the evening on a Friday and I came in the following day to find the car on our lot and it seemed to be stuck in gear. Not uncommon for 02M's with broken shift fork. After much deliberation the customer and I decided to take the tranny to my tranny guy who split the case and just said this tranny is wrecked. I wasnt there, I didnt see it with my own eyes but he never mentioned it was dry which I would think he would just looking at these pictures. Ryan P just stepped up and sent out a replacement which we installed. It seems to me about 3 or 4 weeks later the customer stops in and shows me this thread of a tranny that is burned up and I'm led to beleive that it's the tranny that was sent back. I basically agree to pay for it to prevent some bullsh*t witch hunt thread like this. However the timing was bad as I had just been scammed for nearly $3000 dollars from a customer where I spent nearly 2 days installing an insane mount of OEM Euro parts on his Audi and paid for it with a stolen credit card. I spoke with Ryan last week and told him I was hoping to sell my personal car to cover the costs which hasnt happened. Since the original install I've sluffed off all the helpers I had and I'm back to a one man show doing some of the best work in Phoenix for TDI customers. I reluctantly take responsibility for this rare (1 and only) mistake and am willing to pay for it but you can't get blood from a rock. Most independent shops are running pretty lean these days and threads like this don't help.

If you want an accurate depiction of my shop, the work we do, and satisfaction of my customers all you have to do is search "Exklusiv" on this very website tdiclub.com

Last edited:

Derek@Exklusiv

TDI
Too many cars
Hey its easy to get side tracked, I just try to make sure that

1) I check the level
2) I dont stop in the middle of checking it, either I start it/perform it/finish it, or I take the plug stick it in my pocket, that way the car is not getting off the lift without being done.
3) I check visual for 3 times to ensure parts got put back on..

Check, recheck, triple check..

Still some get through, but it does limit how many fall through the crack..
That's brilliant

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I always thought transaxles (and engines) void of lubricant should have a BIG dayglow tag afixed to them stating "This Unit Has No Oil and Must Be Filled With Proper Lubricant Before Use" (or similar wording). It should be common sense to check, but NEVER underestimate the power of human stupidity. You are better protected if you put such a tag on the unit, because if it comes back to you, you warned them and it is their fault.

I bought a used transaxle once and it had such a tag, but it was still full of lube! (I guess they forgot to drain it).

--Nate
Stupidity carelessness is everywhere, and I agree with having a warning label.

A number of years ago, when I busted my oil pan (no damage, it was shut down within 20 seconds) and had the car towed to the dealer, I made sure I taped a big piece of paper to the steering wheel that said "WARNING! NO OIL IN ENGINE! DO NOT START!!!!" on the assumption that they would just tell their lot boy to "bring that silver Golf into the garage", and he would try to just drive it in.

Props to Derek for admitting the mistake too. In this day and age, it's refreshing. However, you really need some insurance to pay for stuff like this when it happens.

Last edited:

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
I reluctantly take responsibility for this rare (1 and only) mistake and am willing to pay for it but you can't get blood from a rock. Most independent shops are running pretty lean these days and threads like this don't help.
If you want an accurate depiction of my shop, the work we do, and satisfaction of my customers all you have to do is search "Exklusiv" on this very website tdiclub.com

but you can't get blood from a rock.
-Have you made any payments towards that $3k, even $100?
-What date this fiasco start?
-What date did you, Dereck, acknowledge responsibility?
-If you haven't been given a reasonable amount time make a payment, tell us.

Stupidity carelessness is everywhere, and I agree with having a warning label.
Yeah its a great idea a warning label, just like our coffee at McDonalds, we need a label telling us that our drink is hot, and could burn us. We are that dumb.
Props to Derek for admitting the mistake too. In this day and age, it's refreshing. However, you really need some insurance to pay for stuff like this when it happens.
I can find plenty of people willing to admit they made a mistake, finding the ones that are going to correct it is the hard part. I don't know a whole lot about liability insurance, but I'd be willing to take a guess that the deductable for a mechanic shop could be over $2500.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Bottom line, you don't install a transmission of ANY kind without checking the fluid.. EVER.. You don't need a big yellow tag to tell you to check the fluid..

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
After much deliberation the customer and I decided to take the tranny to my tranny guy who split the case and just said this tranny is wrecked. I wasnt there, I didnt see it with my own eyes but he never mentioned it was dry which I would think he would just looking at these pictures.
I don't want to add fuel to your fire, however you should have a serious chat with your transmission guy. It was still very well stuck together with OEM sealant; meaning it was never split. Case bolts didn't even have socket marks on them.

jake8842

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS 5spd
Sh*! happens. People screw up. Ive been down the road numerous times. My techs were working on 20-30 cars a day so there were definetely mistakes. All i asked was that if they made a mistake they came and told me and i would make it right with the customer no matter how big or small. I once bought a 4k 5.7 hemi for a jeep and installed for free because drain plug was left loose. What do you do?? Under any circumstance you make it right and keep trust between you and your customers.
Thats what this whole business is about. "TRUST"

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
Sh*! happens. People screw up. Ive been down the road numerous times. My techs were working on 20-30 cars a day so there were definetely mistakes. All i asked was that if they made a mistake they came and told me and i would make it right with the customer no matter how big or small. I once bought a 4k 5.7 hemi for a jeep and installed for free because drain plug was left loose. What do you do?? Under any circumstance you make it right and keep trust between you and your customers.
Thats what this whole business is about. "TRUST"
I did a timing belt change for a member on this forum. I tried and tried to find the timing mark on the flywheel but couldn't, never did find it. So I pulled the #1 glow plug, and asked my helper to hold a long, thin, metal skewer and let me know when I reached the maximum height. Well genius decided he like the handle of the flat blade screw driver more than the skewer. When I rotated the crank, and he held the screw driver in the glow plug hole, !!!at an angle!!! it bent that screwdriver so fast and with so little effort is was unbelievable.

I ended up giving the nicest of my tdi's to the guy to use until I could get a new headgasket and headbolts the next day. I paid for all the extra parts (as I should) and We did the original work for half price.

Anyone ever hear a complaint about it? Don't think so.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Post #13

Last edited:

Derek@Exklusiv

TDI
Too many cars

-Have you made any payments towards that $3k, even $100?
-When date this fiasco start?
-When date did you, Dereck, acknowledge responsibility?
-If you havent been given a reasonable amount time make a payment, tell us.

Yeah its a great idea a warning label, just like our coffee at McDonalds, we need a label telling us that our drink is hot, and could burn us. We are that dumb.

I can find plenty of people willing to admit they made a mistake, finding the ones that are going to correct it is the hard part. I don't know a whole lot about liability insurance, but I'd be willing to take a guess that the deductable for a mechanic shop could be over $2500.
To be completely honest any sort of agreement and payment arrangements are none of this forums business.

I will pay for the damage - I acknowledged to RyanP that I would when I spoke to him on the phone - I'm very unimpressed with his action to post MANY times on this forums and other forums to "Avoid at all costs" and his repeated accusations that I lie to my customers which is simply untrue. I go above and beyond to help of my customers and if you search this forum I've only had stellar reviews and many many many glowing referrals. According to some pictures on the internet a mistake was made - it's pretty scary how quickly this tread gets dog-piled with people that think it's okay to sabotage someones livelihood based on a single mistake.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Post #14

Last edited:

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
To be completely honest any sort of agreement and payment arrangements are none of this forums business.
I would have agreed with you... 3 months ago.

I will pay for the damage - I acknowledged to RyanP that I would when I spoke to him on the phone.
I wish I had $0.25 for each dollar, that people/clients have acknowledged that they owe me, and will absolutely promise to pay me...but never do.

- I'm very unimpressed with his action to post MANY times on this forums and other forums to "Avoid at all costs" and his repeated accusations that I lie to my customers which is simply untrue.
What the hell is the guy supposed to do? Whitbread's first post about this was on
12-1-2010, I haven't heard you deny, that you haven't paid one single dollar towards this heap.

I don't think you a bad person, or a bad mechanic for making a mistake, sh*t happens, its what you do with that heap of sh*t that makes a situation become what it has.

This isn't my fight, I don't know you, and unless you quote me I'm going to butt out.

Last edited:

Derek@Exklusiv

TDI
Too many cars
I don't want to add fuel to your fire, however you should have a serious chat with your transmission guy. It was still very well stuck together with OEM sealant; meaning it was never split. Case bolts didn't even have socket marks on them.

Now I have a real conflict with these pictures on the internet that are supposed to be the tranny I installed - The customer/owner of the car was there at the tranny shop when the tranny was split. :eek:

Keep in mind that the customer is still my customer - in fact he'll be in this week with his mothers TDI Beetle for some work.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Normally, stuff like this belongs in the vendor feedback thread, but since Exclusiv is not a vendor here and has only showed up to defend themselves, I'm not going to move it. BUT, I am going to handle it exactly the same way.

Both of you - ryanp and Derek#exklusiv - come to an agreement concerning how to resolve this AND ACTUALLY RESOLVE IT and then both of you independently post on this thread that the situation has been resolved. Then, and only then, do the posts get removed.

Is the transmission that Whitbread is talking about, confirmed to be the same one under discussion here? The discussion here appears to suggest that it is not the same one.

Derek@Exklusiv

TDI
Too many cars
Is the transmission that Whitbread is talking about, confirmed to be the same one under discussion here? The discussion here appears to suggest that it is not the same one.
If Whitbread is saying the tranny pictured was never split then no it isn't. The owner of the car was at the tranny shop when it was split. I believe he may have pictures. I wasn't there.

The only thing that can be confirmed is that a used tranny was installed at my shop and the following day it returned to the shop with issues (the only reason I'm willing to eat some cost). Ryan sent out a replacement and we installed that.

If a happy ending is going to come from this it is going to start with the removal of all the "Avoid Exklusiv" threads. I don't have a problem with this thread, it's a great reminder to all, but I do have a problem with someone trying to sabotage how I support my family over a single mistake. You will not find anything other than positive input about my shop in this forum.

Last edited:

UsArmyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta (rip)
realy guy!

If Whitbread is saying the tranny pictured was never split then no it isn't. The owner of the car was at the tranny shop when it was split. I believe he may have pictures. I wasn't there.

The only thing that can be confirmed is that a used tranny was installed at my shop and the following day it returned to the shop with issues (the only reason I'm willing to eat some cost). Ryan sent out a replacement and we installed that.

If a happy ending is going to come from this it is going to start with the removal of all the "Avoid Exklusiv" threads. I don't have a problem with this thread, it's a great reminder to all, but I do have a problem with someone trying to sabotage how I support my family over a single mistake. You will not find anything other than positive input about my shop in this forum.
ok, this kinda pisses me off. i think you need to put up or shut up. ryan has given us a time line. where is your? and why be so secritive about it? ryan layed it out on the line, yes? and you are in a round about way saying hes some what wrong. so, where is your time line of events to go with your side of the story? i dont think any one here is thinking your a douch or what ever. but now that its out in the open, your hideing something. and, i shure ryan would take 50$ at this point. give the man something to show good faith and that your trying. i do agree that it should never come to this, but ryan has to do what he has to do. if you were so worryed aobut your lively hood and your family, you should have been in constant, effecent communication with ryan from day 0. so in that respect, you braught this on to your self.

Derek@Exklusiv

TDI
Too many cars
Look at this from my perspective. My shop installed a used part. The next day it's back on our lot broken. It's taken to my tranny guy who I deal with on almost a weekly basis. He splits the case with customer there. There's no mention of it being dry. Pictures turn up on the internet and it's said by the guy who sold the used transmission that I'm responsible. The guy who took pictures says the case was never split. Seller decides to post libelous threads about my shop and will only take them down if I pay for tranny.

I can't say 100% that there was fluid put in that tranny. The volume of work that goes through my shop and the number of distractions that occur it's absolutely plausible that it was overlooked - because of this I'm willing to pay for it. It's chaulked up as cost of business. However I think this should just cost me a transmission not the number of new customers I could lose when this guy decides to post 15 threads about how I should be "ashamed of my work" and how I "lie to my customers" . Neither of which are true.

I'm not an active member of this forum - I realize I will always be on the downside of this topic. Ryan seems to be quite active and he's sort of a golden child because he is obviously well respected vendor and by the looks of things builds some kickass turbo kits so I know a lot of you will side with him by default. I could simply say f this and ignore these forums, I'm rarely on tdiclub anyway but I'm not - I'll pay for the transmission in question but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the removal of the libelous threads ryan started to get things moving.

Last edited:

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
From an outsider looking in (and a customer of neithers).

All of you need to honour your words (promises) and then let the matter drop. Payment is needed before anything else, since you are the one that has delayed since January. If you paid on time, this would never had gotten to this point.

Chalk it up to one bad mistake, exasperated(sp?) by procrastination and purposeful delays.

(and/or don't make promises you don't intend to keep...)

UsArmyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta (rip)
ok. point taken, but has it realy taken 5 plus months to get ahold of you? did you realy charge your customer for something that you just admited could be your fault?

if these 2 questions are answered yes, or any varyant there of, then the statements are true. you should be ashamed.

and, your contradicting your self right now. not saying your lieing.

you said that the trans shop guy TOLD you he split the case, now your saying you were there. this totaly kills your creditability with this story, and only confirms the accusatioins ryan has stated prevously.

as we can tell, ryan is an out standing guy, and im shure the post will be deleted and positive post might be made if you would just man up, tighten you belt and pay ryan SOMETHING. that action right there would show that your an honest man, and will take care of it.