GSW/Alltrack 1.8T TSI EA888 - Prospective Buyer Discussion Thread

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
After 2013 JSW TDI 6M turn-in - I have the (generous) VW offer - prior to the 1 September 2018 deadline..............I'd sure like an Alltrack 6M.
It seems to have it all - except fuel efficiency.
Have you noted any buyer's remorse due to the marked MPG drop?
again, the Alltrack 6M really appeals but......................
best, ez
If you don't "need" AWD (and I think the number of people that *truly* need it is small; I live in Quebec and have never felt the need for it), you will do much better, and have essentially the same car, with the 1.8 TSI.

I have one, a Golf hatch (5-sp manual) and my wife will soon get a 5-sp manual TSI wagon.

In summer, if you don't beat it up, this is possible:

Now, I've hand-calculated that the MFD is off by about 0.3-0.4 L/100 km. So realistically, let's say that the 5.2 really is 5.6. That still works out to 42 mpg which isn't half bad. The only downside is that VW cut 5 L fuel capacity on the Mk VII, so range is only 700 km in "normal" driving, but you might be able to tickle 900 km on a long drive at 100 km/h (if you can stand it!). I don't mind the range issue so much as I'm retired and no longer commute, but for those with a long commute prepare to stop a lot more often... my Mk VI TDI used to be able to go at least 1000 km between fills, and that was exactly a week's driving.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
IIRC, the tank of the alltrac is still 14+ gallons and you get a 6 speed manual or DSG.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Our family (particularly my mom) is looking forward to a car that has:

-Hatchback
-Sunroof
-Cheap to insure

So we plan to go for a buyback of our TDI when the Canadian settlement eventually gets approved.
One of our candidinates for our replacement would be:

GSW FWD Comfortline with automatic transmission and convenience package

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
According to the EPA data files, the AWD (4motion) GSW burns:
+14.5% more fuel in city
+15.3% more fuel on highway
Compared to the FWD GSW. (calculated fron "City Unrd Adj FE - Conventional Fuel" and "Hwy Unrd Adj FE - Conventional Fuel" columns)

For 2017 Mazda CX-5, AWD vs FWD:
+6.4% on highway (no unrounded MPG available for city)

For 2017 Mazda CX-9:
+7.9% on city / highway

Is VW's 4motion AWD system really that inefficient?

But it does look like VW is using the Alltrack as the emission certificate for the GSW 4motion.

Last edited:

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
According to the EPA data files, the AWD (4motion) GSW burns:
+14.5% more fuel in city
+15.3% more fuel on highway
Compared to the FWD GSW. (calculated fron "City Unrd Adj FE - Conventional Fuel" and "Hwy Unrd Adj FE - Conventional Fuel" columns)

For 2017 Mazda CX-5, AWD vs FWD:
+6.4% on highway (no unrounded MPG available for city)

For 2017 Mazda CX-9:
+7.9% on city / highway

Is VW's 4motion AWD system really that inefficient?

But it does look like VW is using the Alltrack as the emission certificate for the GSW 4motion.
Percentages are tricky... Percent of what? That said, the two mazdas are SUVs with likely poorer aerodynamics, so maybe they're starting from a lower number anyway, so the added AWD hardware doesn't make as much of a difference.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Percentages are tricky... Percent of what? That said, the two mazdas are SUVs with likely poorer aerodynamics, so maybe they're starting from a lower number anyway, so the added AWD hardware doesn't make as much of a difference.
I mean the percentage of fuel consumption increase (L/100 km or Gal/100 mi) of AWD vs FWD versions of the same car. (Preferably the same engine/transmission if possible, but that's not the case for GSW).

Can also be calculated by FWD MPG / AWD MPG - 1.

For most gasoline cars, AWD fuel consumption should be around 7-8% higher than their FWD counterparts. For the GSW the AWD/FWD difference seems to be exceptionally large.

Last edited:

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Soooooo close. Turned in the TDI thursday, driving a loaner Passat (pretty nice, miss my Sirrius), hoping to hear any day now the Alltrack is in.

theguywiththelongestname

TDI
previous TDI owner
I have about 1300 miles and six weeks in the Alltrack: still digging it.

Mine is the SE model with Fender sound/ subwoofer, panoramic sunroof and CarPlay infotainment.

I'm averaging 21-23 MPG per fill-up: really, the only letdown compared to the TDI Golf.

I was able to get tinted all around and the sunroof too. Here in the Mojave Desert, the Greenhouse Effect inside the autos is in full effect. The 3M tint job cuts the solar EMR drastically!

I haven't had any real road trips yet: the farthest has been a couple of 150 mile adventures to the San Diego region. I did get out on some desert trails, I'm stoked with the dirt road experiences so far.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I have about 1300 miles and six weeks in the Alltrack: still digging it.

I'm averaging 21-23 MPG per fill-up: really, the only letdown compared to the TDI Golf.

I haven't had any real road trips yet: the farthest has been a couple of 150 mile adventures to the San Diego region. I did get out on some desert trails, I'm stoked with the dirt road experiences so far.
Your Alltrack - with a 6M - is on my short list. It joins the - Five Grand Less - GSW 1.8/5M/15-inch wheels...........money and MPG being factors here.

My TDI - with space, reliability - thus far - unreal fuel numbers AND V-TEX really set the bar.................

(At least I've until December next year to get my head strait.)

ez

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Is there a way to add blind spot protection on the 16 Alltrack. My Mother in law would buy the Alltrack if it had the blind spot protection. It weird it has all the safety stuff but not that one. But the Golf wagon has it.:confused:

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Picked up a GSW S 4Motion DSG last week, in white. Both this car and the TDI GSW had their pluses and minuses. Difference between the two was only $800. Yes, taking a 10 MPG hit, but getting the updates that I wanted.

Main factors for me were updates (heated seats, radio) and the 4Motion handled better out of the box. Now, its just getting used to HP and not torque when driving. :)

Todd_y

TDI
2012 Golf Highline mt
Anyone else thinking of waiting on the 2018s? No firm details yet, but looks like comfortline (in Canada) may get a bit more tech if it follows the US "se" trim. Snazzy refresh of the front and rear lighting and bumpers, bigger touchscreen. No release date that I have found yet, but thinking about driving the tdi for the summer and shooting for turn-in in September if the '18s are in stock. May even show up earlier since the refresh was already available in Europe as a 2017?

Last edited:

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
We bought a '17 GSW All Track TSI S which our buy back nearly paid for and which my barely 5' wife finds comfortable to enter and exit and which she finds has good visibility. We didn't want or need the stuff on the SE or SEL, and are very happy with the All Track. Only one fill-up so far, but 26.7 mpg which isn't in TDI country but not bad for a fairly heavy, 3350 lb± AWD car trundling around our area. One thing that worried me was when I checked the oil the first time after it had been sitting overnight the oil was significantly below the full mark. But checking the oil shortly after driving the oil is right at the full mark, or so close that I'm not breaking out a shot glass to add oil. It looks like oil changes should be easy too.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
The 60 Alltracks currently on Fuelly.com are averaging 25.3. The 6M MPG seems better than

the DSG. Individual driving variables pervade. One 6M is now just over 30 - with a high of 36.

YMMV fits here

ez

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Circles back to the old argument that someone that knows how to drive a stick will always get better mileage than that same car with an automatic. That drop in mileage from my JSW (about 14 mpg) makes is difficult to consider the alltrack for the wife's daily driver. I know that whatever we look at will show about the same mileage drop, its just something I don't want to admit.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Going from a 2012 Golf TDI 6sp to our new 2017 GSW 4Motion DSG, we are seeing about a 10 MPG decrease across the range, city to highway (28-36).

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Going from a 2012 Golf TDI 6sp to our new 2017 GSW 4Motion DSG, we are seeing about a 10 MPG decrease across the range, city to highway (28-36).
36 highway is very impressive, Whatnxt.............

Made my day!

ez

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
36 mpg highway? That's only a few mpg lower than my life time average in the JSW. Most of my highway cruising comes in around 39-41, depending on how long I stay at 75+.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
....what is truly impressive to this sailor: his GSW is ALL Wheel Drive. Amazing (MHO)

ez

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
maybe I'll stop beating the local dealers up about not dealing on any of the 15s and just go get an Alltrack.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Great thread! I am in the processes on deciding the next vehicle for my beautiful young bride. She's currently driving a leased 2015 Passat Limited. It has the 1.8t with the seven speed automatic tranny. To date, there have been zero issues with the car or the tranny. Of course, she's only got 18,000 miles after two years. (By comparison, I bought a new Malibu seven months ago and already have almost 12,000 miles.)

I test drove an Alltrack SEL yesterday. Very nice and quiet car. May have to check out the manual, because she may want one. (I like my two-speed Malibu hybrid, thank you very much.)

So far, has anyone got long-term impressions after a month or two?

narodsobe

TDI
2006.5, 2009, 2013, 2014
Hi there, I'm transitioning to an Alltrack (can't leave MT behind) shortly; the truck with the SE arrived today. I still have heartburn about leaving my Jetta behind. Doing the buyback for my TDI next week. Last time I bought my most recent TDI (2014) Chris Farnham walked me through the extended warranty pricing. Does anyone know if there is someone on these boards who has a similarly awesome approach in helping people better understand the extended warranty pricing? Chris was fantastic. I'd like to know something before walking into the dealer. Thank you! Tamara

^^
76 Rabbit petrol
00 Jetta petrol
04 Touareg TSI
06.5 Jetta TDI
14 TDI

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We've had out Alltrack since January, just over 3K miles, glad to be back in a wagon. the 1.8 is an impressive motor, just gotta give it a boot to make the DSG not shift at 1800 rpm.

APR just released their tunes, including for turbos off the GTI and Golf R, both are bolt on upgrades.

I'm eyeing the DSG TCU and a stage 1, with numbers that exceed stock GTI with AWD and 90% of golf R running gear how can one not enjoy a little bit of MPG sacrifice.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
We got a white/black AllTrack 1.8 TSI S DSG because my wife wanted AWD and doesn't "do" manuals. Our last two cars, a '99 Passat V6 auto, and '13 Jetta TDI DSG which has gone to wherever "maybe" fixable TDI's go were good reliable. The TDI on road trips got 44-45 on cruise in rolling country in Western MT and down into Northern UT. The Passat on cruise would reliably deliver 26.5 mpg. We've only taken one road trip in the AllTrack and it delivered 27.2 mpg while being driven fairly hard. I'm hoping that the fuel mileage improves on the road, but with the hills and wind in this area that might not be possible, and I don't plan on driving 50-55 mph to get better mileage. An 18 wheeler running over the top doesn't sound to attractive to me. Our streets aren't plowed in the winter and the extra ground clearance might well be helpful along with AWD. Planning on getting some 16" steel wheels and good snow tires before winter hits. So far like the TSI, but miss the TDI's grunt and lower rpms at highway speeds.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I agree the 1.8 is impressive. My wife just got her new '17 GSW two days ago, 5-mt. Base Trendline with connectivity+ package. I couldn't ask for more car! I have yet to drive it but my wife says in back and forth commuting to work Tuesday and yesterday, she's seeing 6.0 L/100 km on the MFD which is probably 6.4 true. It's only a 12 km drive, on 16" tires and the car isn't anywhere near broken in.

My own Golf 1.8 TSI has been averaging 5.5 indicated, about 5.9 true, since I took off the snow tires. Mine is also manual. I drove my sister-in-law's '15 Golf TSI automatic quite extensively when we visited her out west a while back, and the non-DSG automatic didn't do as well as my TSI, maybe as much as 1 L/100 km more.

SkiWell

TDI
2017 golf Alltrack S manual Gey/Brown
2017 alltrack

Hello friends, i turned my 2013 tdi SWG manual with 125k miles, and bought 2017 golf alltrack s manual... So far like the car- only miss the 43-44mpg on my jetta... I went for the "S" trim, but my car has ICC, and park assist, so it only miss the navigation, and the sunroof. The S is only coming with 17" tires- do any of you know if it is safe to replace them with 18"? the alltrack is sitting 1" higher than Sportwagen, but it would be nice to lift in up one more inch. i ppreciate any of the advises!

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If 18s come on the other trim levels, you should have no problem. The body is the same.