2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI manual availability?

johnspear23

TDI
Now 2015 Sportwagen TDI Past 2003 Jetta TDI
I stopped by the local dealer yesterday to check out the 2015 Sportwagen and take a test drive. I test drove a loaded SEL with the automatic transmission. The car is beautiful but the automatic trans was a big disappointment but no big deal because I want a manual anyway. When I asked the salesman and his sales manager about trim levels, options and manual availability they knew even less than I did. They seemed to think that no one had any manuals and it could be a few months before they were available. I checked numerous dealers online and could only find automatics. Anyone hear anything about when manual transmissions will become widely available? I am 99% sure I want this car but I want to test drive a manual first.

I appreciate your help

John

dober

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Silver Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon
All I've seen up here are fully loaded DSG models for demo. I'm in the same boat, was thinking I should just test drive a manual golf since nobody has any idea of when they'll see a manual GSW on the lot.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've heard that every VW dealer received an initial shipment of two Golf Sportwagens: One TSI and one loaded TDI. I've also heard that manual transmission cars will follow automatics, but I don't know how long it will take. My local dealer is holding an open house at the end of April and expects to have manual trans GSWs for that event, so maybe not too long.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
I'm in the same boat, was thinking I should just test drive a manual golf since nobody has any idea of when they'll see a manual GSW on the lot.
That's what we did before placing our order for a manual GSW ie test drove a 2015 manual Golf and 15 minutes later test drove a Highline GSW DSG.

(FWIW we have been told that our manual transmission will not be in till sometime in May)

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I stopped by the local dealer yesterday to check out the 2015 Sportwagen and take a test drive. I test drove a loaded SEL with the automatic transmission. The car is beautiful but the automatic trans was a big disappointment but no big deal because I want a manual anyway. When I asked the salesman and his sales manager about trim levels, options and manual availability they knew even less than I did. They seemed to think that no one had any manuals and it could be a few months before they were available. I checked numerous dealers online and could only find automatics. Anyone hear anything about when manual transmissions will become widely available? I am 99% sure I want this car but I want to test drive a manual first.

I appreciate your help

John
I'm test driving a 2015 now. You are right, no manual transmissions for at least a few more weeks or so. I'll post a YouTube video about when I get a chance. Awesome wagon.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I ended up just ordering a manual Golf SE with LP which will take 3-4 months to get here. The dealer could only track down one black SE manual in the entire region and that was in Ohio. It was also fully loaded and way out of my price range. They also only had one manual in stock which was a white S. I was at a dealer in Chicago a couple of months ago and they had no manuals in stock. So yeah, few and far between it seems.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
my local dealer has 5 or 6 gsw's, including 3 tdi's, including one 6mt

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Talking to dealers in the area...I found 3 dealers with GSW SE TDI w/ 6MT. Of them, all 3 are silk blue, 2 have no options, and 1 has DAP. No LP's yet though, and most on the lots are DSG as mentioned. I really wish the TSI was available in the SE w/ manual tranny on it. SE just seems like the best bank of buck unless you really must have navigation

MileHighWagon

TDI
None yet
Talking to dealers in the area...I found 3 dealers with GSW SE TDI w/ 6MT. Of them, all 3 are silk blue, 2 have no options, and 1 has DAP. No LP's yet though, and most on the lots are DSG as mentioned. I really wish the TSI was available in the SE w/ manual tranny on it. SE just seems like the best bank of buck unless you really must have navigation
Bingo. I would love the TSI SE with the stick if we decide not to get the TDI. Unfortunately that's a unicorn.

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Can't speak for US, but the only two TDI GSW in Edmonton, Canada are manual transmissions (one is mine).

johnspear23

TDI
I ended up finding what I was looking for on Monday 4/6. I have been searching the local dealers inventory online daily and found a black on black SE manual. Test drove it then bought it. I have only been driving the car a few days now but think it is exactly what I am looking for. We will see how it performs in the long run.

johnspear23

TDI
I forgot to mention that there are three things about the car that I am not happy about. 1) The engine is almost silent. I loved the audible purr of my 03 TDI. 2) Turbo is silent. Loved the turbo sound. 3) No diesel smell.
I am probably one of the only people that miss these things! I guess the average TDI driver would prefer it this way.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
After being on order for almost a month with no sign of progress for "our" manual GSW, this afternoon the dealer emailed me with a newly established VIN also saying that it was now in transit from the factory. And yet he said that it still showed delivery not till the end of May. That still seems to be a long time on the train (6 weeks) to get to Southern Ontario Canada.

Last edited:

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Picking up on Sunday

GSW SE TDI 6MT

No extra options
White w/ beige interior
Selling point was $27195 (vw partner program)

They had an S in silk blue they where ready to make some deals on, cheaper than what I was getting w/ the partner program...but I would miss the roof

Last edited:

johnspear23

TDI
Mine is a manual, I didn't have any interest in the automatic. I ended up purchasing from world VW in Neptune NJ. It was the only dealer in the area that had a manual in stock, it just came off the truck when I found it. I had a good buying experience from them. Went to shrewsbury vw the week before, they told me it would be three months before I would see a manual at a dealership. Looking forward to some long road trips!

khyron

TDI
2005 Golf GLS (tiptronic), 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL (DSG)
I'm located in the Pacific Northwest, but I can definitely confirm from our own hunt that multiple dealers out here have manual transmissions among the VINs that they have coming in over the next couple of weeks. So they do exist, but are understandably not as common.

bangoman

TDI
Former 2.0 TDI owner
Damn. I got my manual highline TDI on Mar 30th, within 2 weeks of ordering. Must've got lucky! Although I did phone around every dealer between Windsor and and Peterborough for the best price, which also happened to be the best availability.

NPrince

TDI
2014 Passat Manual
I fell into an extremely lucky situation.. I was deciding between a 2015 Jetta or Golf TDI manual when my salesperson said a customer of his had ordered a 2015 GSW SE manual but decided to buy the SEL auto that they had on the lot so it was available for sale and all of the salesmen were anxiously awaiting its arrival.. I said I want it and put a deposit down right there. He said it was expected to arrive mid-April so it will be here any day now.

My point is, the dealership had no idea when they would be getting manual GSWs that have not been custom ordered.

jaylib

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I picked up a white/Titan GSW TDI SE 6MT last weekend in San Diego. had to drive down from Los Angeles to get it but worth the drive. just drove it up to San Francisco and averaged about 47mpg