2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon: Is $8,000 too much for this wagon?

AntalyaJoe

TDI
none yet
I have agreed to buy(and seller agrees to sell to me) the following for $8,000. What do you think of this price? I am a Newbie and am devouring all the info I find here at this incredible forum! Thanks to all you amazing Guru's! How about some help for this newbie purchase? Yes, I have read, "Before you buy" and "B5.5 Issues" And other similar vehicles for sale. However, no 2 vehicles are exactly alike. What's your thoughts on this one? And yes, if this is a great deal, I realize some unscrupulous person may try to take it from me. My risk, but a far greater risk is buying the wrong car for the wrong price! Please let me know your thoughts, concerns, etc. Thanks!
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4763728358.html
I have car for two years, very happy with mpg, please see my video proofing 60 mpg at 55 mpg on Lake Shore, just type this link in your browser
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xR878_pC_gE
I updated BSM-balance shaft module or oil pump it has now geared oil pump no more chain $3000 job,
Updated coil plugs as they are changed for the newest ones also updated ECU software, all new vacuum lines as controls, 10 K ago timing belt, water pump, all belts as a tensioners and motor mounts, new radiator, transmission service oil plus filter plus cleaned the pan, synthetic mobile TDT engine oil every 4000 miles, fuel filter every six months, K&N air filter, HiD 1000 K head lights conversion kit , also new head lights, LED fog yellow bulbs, Viper alarm with the starter one mile range, comes with two pagers and car keys, winter original factory floor mats, Iphone or any audio device connection for radio, front heated seats, windows & sunroof close when alarm you lock the doors with alarm pager also you can open or close windows, check the temperature in the car with alarm pager, michelin tires in good condition as the brakes, tinted windows with 3M film, updated wheels, needs nothing, maintained by VW technician.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The three issues on these cars are the BSM, the CAM, and the auto transmission.

Around here, a car with that mileage would be worth around $5k. Since the BSM is done, you have a $5k car that is asking you to pay full retail for the $3k balance shaft.

If it were my decision, I would find an untouched $5k car and get the work done myself.

Also to do on this car eventually are the transmission and the CAM.

Factor those in, and you will be at $12-13k once all the issues are addressed - a little less if you convert the car to a 5-speed instead of replacing the auto.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Updated coil plugs? lol Did he mean glow plugs? Just don't expect to get that kind of mileage out of it...no idea where he's getting 55-60mpg with an auto...

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I presume you are aware this has a rebuilt title. Do you have any details on why?

Normally independent of anything else, the rebuilt title we devalue the vehicle by a few thousand.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Expect to get around low to mid 30's MPG from this Passat Wagon (BHW engine) with an automatic transmission. I am talking expectations or averages, not one trip with tail wind going slightly downhill :)

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
You are going to want to ditch the K&N air filter. They shed oil and damage the MAF sensor.

AntalyaJoe

TDI
none yet
-It was glow plugs replaced.
-The YouTube clip was just a short ride on Lake Shore Drive getting between 50-60mpg doing 54mph. His trip to Florida and back: 33mpg ave(fuill of people, etc and doing 70-80 mph).
-Saw the pics of the front end accident. Will try and upload them.
-If I ditch the K&N air filter, what do I use?

Thanks for all the help.

Anymore advice?

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
I think its a bit high on the price. IMO $6000 - $6500...rebuilt title/208k. Nice car though!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
There was Viper system in my car before I exorcised it. They are usually installed by hacks with poor connections such as scotchlocks, and are trouble ready to happen. Removing it is a positive move before it bites you.