VW Golf Country Syncro TDI swap project

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I figured I should start a thread on installing a "AHU" TDI into a Golf II as there seems to be lots of questions about this floating around out there.

The car that I doing the swap in isn't an "average" Golf II - it is the limited production Golf Country with Syncro all wheel drive.

1990 Golf Country

As you can see the Country has a factory installed body lift installed. It is accomplished by a sub-frame that goes between the body and the suspension parts. This actually gives me a few advantages when installing an engine in this car as there is lots of room in the engine bay and the engine sits on the suspension so it is lower too. Running a nice straight exhaust to the back will be a lot easier than most vehicles too - especially Syncros!

1.8L Digifant II engine

So over the next little bit I'll be sharing my experienes installing a 1998 AHU TDI engine into this vehicle.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
kewl, it should be gravy. Is it a 020 or 02a syncro tranny?

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
OW BOY! I am totally jellious! I want one of those in the usa! I really wish uncle sam would let me have that here! What a great truck!

Keep us posted on the swap. I am assuming you are importing a new tranny for gear ratio changes between the 1.8l sohc and the new tdi engine?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
if its a 020 syncro I would guess a 02a syncro tranny swap would occur along with a new r&p ratio. fun swap

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
The gearbox that is in the Country is a 020 based system due to the 98hp Digifant II engine. This Country suffered a gearbox failure 10km away from Bremerhaven - so I have a 1989 02A based Rallye Golf gearbox here for the TDI engine. The original gearbox is 4.86:1 final drive (!) and the Rallye is something like 3.68:1 and will be quite a good match to the TDI. I will be using a cable clutch system for the 02A (not hydraulic) and will be using a VR6 pressure plate as well.

There is a bit better write up of the gearing at http://www.hasenwerk.ca/golfcountrytdi/default.shtml

Hasenwerk

TDI
Pat Dolan said:
David:

I assume that is the starter rope laying accross the engine in the lower picture?

Pat
You mean that "stripey" looking thing? That is the hose from the coolant bottle to the radiator. Currently it can't start as the gearbox is locked up solid. :(

Hasenwerk

TDI
Today I got the Golf Country to the point where the Digifant II engine is sitting on its mounts with the radiator, rad support, grille, bull bar and front skid plate removed. Really not much different that a regular Golf II with the exception of the bull hard and the belly pan like the later Golfs have, so I won't go into much detail on that. If you can't get this point by yourself then you should consider not doing this swap yourself! :)

Golf Country Bull Bar - held on with one M8 stud on each "crumple zone" and two M8 studs through the front bumper. Weigh is about 20lbs - very light weight!

Left to do before the engine comes out is undo the CV joints, drive shaft to the rear, shift linkage, power steering pump, exhaust and front bumper / engine support.

to be continued . . .

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fast_Forward said:
As you can see the Country has a factory installed body lift installed. It is accomplished by a sub-frame that goes between the body and the suspension parts.
Any pics of the body lift parts or the belly pan? Rare Mk2 parts are always interesting.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
I am insanely jealous. The guys on the chat room know how much this would be my *ideal* candidate for a TDI swap.

Hasenwerk

TDI
G60ING said:
Any pics of the body lift parts or the belly pan? Rare Mk2 parts are always interesting.
In the photo of the bull bar, you can see the engine belly pan on the floor upper left. Nothing too special - just a piece of metal with a hole to drain the oil thru that fastens to the bull bar and to the rear engine mounting frame. Next time I am working on it I will snap some shots of the sub frame - ETKA shows it really well.

If you want to see this biggie size: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/GolfCountrySubframe.jpg

Real photos to follow! :cool:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Hasenwerk

TDI
G60ING said:
OK... here it is... complete with the hypoid oil from the dead gearbox. I wonder if that will prevent any rust from forming? :rolleyes:

Golf Country Sub Frame - Front Section

Golf Country Sub Frame - Rear Section

Looks like I have lots of room for that 3" exhaust system! Oh yeah - anyone want a perfectly good 1.8L Digifant II engine - free?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hey does that cat have a dual inlet setup like the rallye golfs? And there is plenty of room for a 3" exhaust under a non-lifted rallye

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I helped build the motor on this one:

Hasenwerk

TDI
G60ING said:
hey does that cat have a dual inlet setup like the rallye golfs? And there is plenty of room for a 3" exhaust under a non-lifted rallye
It's a funny system. It looks ike the Rallye Golf cat - at least in the car it does. Once it is out I can tell better as I have a Rallye Golf cat here along with the entire 160hp G60 engine (looking for a home BTW!). The thing that is definately different is that it uses those C springs to hold the down pipe to the manifold, but the down pipe is a dual down pipe... why they did it this way is beyond me? :confused: The dual outlet G60 manifold is a much better flowing system.

Tonight, depeding on how my back is after this morning's visit to the chiropractor, will result in the 1.8L Digifant engine on the floor and the exhaust system on the floor as well.

Hasenwerk

TDI
Well the engine is now on the garage floor as well as the exhaust system.

So for G60ING... the Golf Country vs Rallye Golf cat:

Golf Country vs Rally Golf converters.

The TDI cat will certainly fit, but I think I will be building a custom down pipe to clear the PTO on the transmission. That should be fun! :rolleyes:

There are only a few things that are unique to the Golf Country in the engine compartment as the engine sits lower that a normal Golf. Things that are different include the pipe that goes between the thottle valve and AFM, coolant hoses to the radiator and heater core and the front engine mount and crossmember.

As the TDI swap is concerned, all of these parts can be reused with the exception of the pipe from the throttle valve to the AFM. The engine cross member will need to be further modified from where VW left off. The cross member has a section cut out of it so the oil filter would clear due the engine sitting lower - this modification that they did works fine for a gasser filter but the larger Diesel filter will require a minor reworking.

Golf Country Crossmember

That's it for now!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

tdi rs

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 16v tdi
We.ve done a couple tdi's into countrys pretty straight forward,use the rallye running gear just change the diff for a tdi.

Hasenwerk

TDI
tdi rs said:
We.ve done a couple tdi's into countrys pretty straight forward,use the rallye running gear just change the diff for a tdi.
I'm thinking the stock rallye gearing looks pretty OK. 5th at 100km/h would be about 2500rpm - considering I won't be going much fast than 110km/g I think it is pretty much in the ball park as is.

See http://www.hasenwerk.ca/golfcountrytdi/transmission.shtml for a chart showing both gearboxes.

Hasenwerk

TDI
The weekend was spent cleaning the engine bay with lots of Simple Green, brake cleaner and plastic brushes. Now the patient is clean for surgery! :)

Now comes the fun part, for me anyhow, and that is the electrical system. The Digifant II harness is now removed and the TDI harness is sitting in a box waiting to go into the Golf. One of the things I am also doing is installing the 260km/h Golf Rallye speedometer in place of the 220km/h Golf Country speedometer so it will read the correct speed with the Golf Rallye transmission.

The Rallye instrument cluster has the MFA and the Country doesn't, nor do I have the rest of the parts to make the MFA stuff work, so it is being removed from the Rallye cluster before going into the Country. So at this point I figured I can do much better than the MFA and install one of my multifuncion digital gauges.

Multifunction Digital Gauge

This gauge is the baby brother of the one that is installed in both my TriStar and Westfalia. It can show four temperatures (two thermocouple, two resistive) and one pressure. This one will be setup for water, oil, pre turbo and intake manifold temperatures and boost pressure. It has the ability to remember the highest settings since last reset and most important alert the driver is something is over a specified value. So for example if you are exceeding 850C on the turbo it will start blinking the display and if I connect it, it can also flash a light(s) or sound a buzzer. I am thinking of removing the blanks below the LEDs already in the cluster. Two buttons will be installed to control the gauge on the little blank spot where normally there is a timing advance for a Diesel engine. As you can tell, it is a test fit at this moment. I have to open up the plastic a bit more so you can see the entire display. It's a start anyhow! :cool:

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Sweet!

I know someone else that I haven't talked to in a while that was doing a Country TDI, He had some real nice parts picked out too. I'll try and get in touch with him and maybe you two can bounce info off each other.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Fast_Forward said:
This gauge is the baby brother of the one that is installed in both my TriStar and Westfalia. It can show four temperatures (two thermocouple, two resistive) and one pressure. This one will be setup for water, oil, pre turbo and intake manifold temperatures and boost pressure.
Mmmmmmm... where can I buy this wonderful gauge goodness?

Hasenwerk

TDI
TurbinePower said:
Mmmmmmm... where can I buy this wonderful gauge goodness?
It isn't a plug and play thing at all - lots of mods to the gauge and to the OE instrument housing have to be done. It is an avation gauge from Czech. The issue that I am going to have to overcome is the LCD is attached to the rest of the computer via an 18 pin ribbon cable that is about 8cm long - the main computer is too big to fit inside the OE instrument cluster housing so I am going to have to piggy back it off of the back of the instument cluster housing - with luck I can find a longer ribbon cable and it won't be an issue... more photos will be available when it is done.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
The ribon cable shouldn't be tooo bad to fix. Just be careful and disconnect the wires from the computer side not the lcd side! If you have every tried to solder anything to an lcd you know what I am talking about... Also make sure you jump pins and take your time. (so if its 15 pins do 1,15,cool time, 2, 14, cool time, 3, 13......) If you have a heat sink this can speed up the process... good luck and keep us posted on the project! Also, can you post a link for the gauge just for s & g?

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Also david what are you doing about the rest of the gauges and where are you getting the data from? Im an currently debating if I need to swap in some mk 3 items to do it... But if I can keep it stock looking why not!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I LOVE the idea of the digital EGT gauge in the multifunction-display. Thumbs up!!

Will you install an 02C transmission or 6-speed 02M?

Someone I know is extremely envious of your project. :)