Master Cylinder-Correct Part for No ESP?

Ground Beef

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I have a 2002 Jetta. It unequivocally DOES NOT have ESP.

There is no ESP switch beside the heated seat control opposite the hazard flasher switch. There is no light on the instrument cluster below the ABS light. The option code sticker in the front of the owner's manual shows option 1AC.

I bought a new master cylinder. The bolt pattern does not match my old one. I confirmed the correct part number for no ESP. Looking at several web sites (IDParts, NAPA, Rock Auto, Autozone and Advance) my old cylinder looks like the ones for cars with ESP, and the new one looks like the ones listed for no ESP. The exception to this is that IDParts has a booster with the master cylinder included. That looks like what I have.

What's going on here? Do some non-ESP cars have the ESP booster and master cylinder? Is this an entirely different part?

Ground Beef

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I've got ABS. I think it's been legally required since 1996 or so. I just don't have ESP. But it does look like I have the ESP master cylinder.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
What about the master cylinder that was in your car? Did it have the pressure sensor sticking straight down? Someone might have installed the wrong master/booster in the past being cheap. They'll both function the same, but obviously the booster won't bolt up.

Ground Beef

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
That's an interesting thought. I've had the car most of it's life, but the original owner put a lot of miles on it in 2 or 3 years.

Is this sensor completely obvious? I just looked at it and ran my hand under it and couldn't find anything.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Yeah it'd stick out a good inch and definitely wouldn't have a wire plugged into it. Just an idea, you could call IDparts up tomorrow when they open and ask them which one you need. They offer three styles last I remember.

Ground Beef

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
No sensor then.

More info, I found a part number 1J1-614-105-AC on the booster. My duck-duck-go search didn't get much info, but possibly it's for a 2006 beetle. It also may be the same as what I saw on the IDParts site. Still no idea what master cylinder should bolt up to it. Or if it came from the factory that way.

I'm going to call the VW dealer and maybe IDParts tomorrow to see if they can help.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
VAG switched master cylinder and booster suppliers around. You can only use the specific master cylinder for that specific booster. If the place you got the master cylinder from did not ask you what brand booster you have, then they have no idea. There are three different ones used. And at least one of them has been changed to something different. I generally just buy the booster WITH the master cylinder, that way you know you have the newest stuff.

Ground Beef

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
The VW dealer looked up my VIN and told me I needed 1J1-614-019J. This seems to be the same as 019E or 019H, but I won't promise. You can find it by looking up parts for a 2006 Beetle.

The stealership wanted $350 for it, but I found the E/H version at Rock Auto and the J version at Europa. I went ahead and ordered one from Europa just to be sure. It is allegedly made by the OEM - which I believe is FTE.

I'll report back after it arrives.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have a 2002 Jetta. It unequivocally DOES NOT have ESP.

There is no ESP switch beside the heated seat control opposite the hazard flasher switch. There is no light on the instrument cluster below the ABS light. The option code sticker in the front of the owner's manual shows option 1AC.

I bought a new master cylinder. The bolt pattern does not match my old one. I confirmed the correct part number for no ESP. Looking at several web sites (IDParts, NAPA, Rock Auto, Autozone and Advance) my old cylinder looks like the ones for cars with ESP, and the new one looks like the ones listed for no ESP. The exception to this is that IDParts has a booster with the master cylinder included. That looks like what I have.

What's going on here? Do some non-ESP cars have the ESP booster and master cylinder? Is this an entirely different part?
I am pretty sure that ESP started in 2003 for the MK4 in North America.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Jetta GLX had it before that, I have a customer with a 2001 that has ESP. Not sure on the 4 cyl cars though.

Ground Beef

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I ended up having to order the one from Rock Auto for reasons that are irrelevant. It had the E or H suffix.

I've got it bolted on the car and it seems to fit OK.

I'm waiting for my brother to bring me a $nap-On scan tool to bleed the ABS. Hopefully I don't need to track down a VAG-COM.

With any luck I can test drive it tonight.