MN Chat Thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
my return line always had bubbles in it until I drilled out the anti drain back valve in the suction fitting in the sending unit

If you're getting good fuel at the injectors it should be firing. At least smoking white.

Compression good or does it sound like it's just spinning over without much load on the starter?

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
thought I updated this...

changed fuel filter and it fired right up...

then stalled.. took a couple of goes but eventually it ran..

this am it took a couple of times to run properly.. guessing still some air.. but ran without a blip all the way to work 40min drive.. just waiting to see how it starts this afternoon...

the clear hose seemed to have a bunch of air being sucked through it when it was running.. is that normal?? havent checked since it was driven just when it first started and I pulled it outside to idle for a few minutes

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
no idea, but the orings were old... who knows when this filter was replaced or if it ever had been... all good now.. runs like a champ

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
anyone have any experience with a vanagon? a friends camper stopped running.. it is an 84 with an 86 engine...

it seems to have fuel, and spark.. (only checked one plug so far..)

new fuel pump..

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
I found my annoying rattle.

I replaced both ends with Vibra Technics parts from Dark Side Developments. (3 day service from England, by the way). The difference is astounding. The old one did not go without a fight. Notice the broken bolt.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
By the way, that's the second small end failure I've had but never any trouble with the big end.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
my small end bushing is currently some wrapped up radiator hose, haha

Gotta get around to finding a poly bushing for that.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I have an 85 gasser vanagon, does it even try to run? I just had to do a new rotor and cap on mine.

There is a vanagon diesel motor and tranny for sale on craiglist, but that might be a little overkill for troubleshooting.

The Samba is a good source for all things VW Vanish.

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
I have an 85 gasser vanagon, does it even try to run? I just had to do a new rotor and cap on mine.

There is a vanagon diesel motor and tranny for sale on craiglist, but that might be a little overkill for troubleshooting.

The Samba is a good source for all things VW Vanish.

thanks... yeah may have to try that first.. cheapest option.. other than ecu or distributor just to check...

it at first has the smallest attempt.. but nothing that will catch...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
To all of you out there looking for a used 2009+ TDI, be careful. I've been looking at cars for about a week, and lately there aren't many private party sellers, dealers are overpriced as usual and the biggest thing that I'm finding is that the small lots who are selling these cars buy them from auction and slap a big price on them. I didn't look at many of these but from everything that I can tell, there is a reason that the dealers sold them at auction. Dealers LOVE selling TDI's, they move fast and bring good money, so you have to ask yourself - why are they selling these at auction?

I looked at 2 TDI's that were serviced at dealers, the first one had a beautiful body and interior, second one not so bad either. I popped the hood and the entire fuel system on BOTH of them had been replaced. Normally that wouldn't be the end of the world... there was NO record of it! Looking at all the marks on all the connections that mechanics make, it looked to be incomplete. The injectors had no markings that many mechanics make, but everything else had paint marks. The first one was a mess as far as spilled diesel all over or maybe leaking even and dust and grime collecting on it, the second one not so much.
Not to mention that the first one also had a failing DMF.

Other notes - prices are up this summer from last winter and spring. If you are entertaining the idea of getting a newer car, wait for diesel prices to go up, car prices will come back down. Last winter I know a few people who got 09 wagons for less than 10k, now they're 11-13k.

I looked at 2 2010 sedans, both had rusty trunk lids I talked to the one dealer about it and he didn't think they would be covered by the rust warranty because its not a typical spot for it to rust. The same car also had rust which was due to sand blasting on gravel roads which also won't be covered.

Always always always get carfax or autocheck or similar, within those, at least with carfax, it will tell you who did the services, call that dealer with the last 6 digits of the VIN and they can bring up the service history of the car.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Jetta, Golf partout

I need to clean up the yard! 2000 Jetta, 2002 Golf. Engine, trans, harnesses completely removed from both cars and unavailable. Non-smoking interiors, heated black cloth on both. Both cars were automatics - starters and axles are available if you're interested.

These two beauts are headed to the scrap yard soon so if you need any parts off of them please let me know (via PM).

supersamson

TDI
2010 tdi cup edition
I've got a cup edition jetta (dag) that the CPO warranty just ran out. DPF was just replaced care of VW. Where do I go from here?

supersamson

TDI
2010 tdi cup edition
What would you like to do?
Sorry, poorly worded question. Been a long few weeks at the office.

I haven't looked into much as far as mods since purchase. I elected to keep it stock to prevent any issues with the CPO.

Last I checked Malone was the way to go for ecu and to my understanding DSG tune/exhaust were required to fully reap the benefits of the tune.

Does this still hold true or have I been mislead?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
You don't need to do exhaust but its a nice addition, mileage goes up 5-10%. BTW I am the Malone dealer in Minnesota, I'm moving into a shop in Blaine next month.

DSG tunes are well worth it, I love the DSG transmissions with a tune. Yes the DSG tune is required for the standard tunes, we have one tune that will be good without the DSG tune but it won't have any increase in peak torque.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm moving again :D

This time I'm moving my Engineering and tuning business into a shop in Blaine, MN. Jordan Schreyer - a local Japanese/American car tuner is starting a performance shop there and I'm moving in as well. The shop is called SM Speed, I will still be operating MN TDI Tuning. We have a Dyno Dynamics AWD eddy current dyno in house for any custom tuning needs - most TDI tunes will still be done on the street unless its necessary or if someone wants to have their car dyno'ed we can do that as well.

I won't be doing any heavy wrenching but we have a few people that have VW experience and I can bring them in as needed. I'm also not in there every day all day, just as needed.

paix247

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf 4-Door in Shark Blue
I am also looking for a local shop to go to in the future. My warranties are now up on my 2010 Golf and my 2006 Jetta (had a an extended warranty). I see there is a shop in St. Louis Park off Excelsior blvd called German Auto Works. I've been to the "Volkswagen Man" in Minneapolis a few times, but they don't seem to be any cheaper/easier/better to deal with than the dealership. Any Twin Cities recommendations? Thanks!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
For sure, I'm half way moved into the new shop. Just tuned a car there yesterday.

For your 03, those nozzles and Stage 3 would work very well together. Definitely get an upgraded clutch - plan ahead and get at least a VR6 setup.

tdanielson95

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI
Im a newbie at tdi's so im not sure what a VR6 is?...What am i looking at for pricing? I can do install on all of it. Except tuning..Maybe? LOL

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I went to Mills Fleet Farm to get a couple gallons of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40, because it's only $23.99 a gallon -- not many places sell it, and the ones that do often charge over $35/gallon.

But I was distracted by Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck (TDT) 5w40, on sale for $74.97 for a case of four gallons. So that's about $18.75/gallon before tax.

This sale price for TDT ends August 8th. I think they have plenty if you want to stock up.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
I went to Mills Fleet Farm to get a couple gallons of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40, because it's only $23.99 a gallon -- not many places sell it, and the ones that do often charge over $35/gallon.

But I was distracted by Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck (TDT) 5w40, on sale for $74.97 for a case of four gallons. So that's about $18.75/gallon before tax.

This sale price for TDT ends August 8th. I think they have plenty if you want to stock up.
Was this at the Lakeville location or another FF? Thanks