Shell V Power diesel locations

solartempest

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
T_D_I_POWER said:
I have e-mails from those three fuel suppliers dated 8/09 wrt Diesel fuel cetane rating in ON. Do you want me to post them and see how old the info is and who's right on this matter?
Yes, please!

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
T_D_I_POWER said:
Minimum Diesel fuel cetane rating is 40 mandated by CGSB.

Here's the e-mail quote I got from Shell Canada....." Shell Canada diesels meet and exceed the CGSB (Canadian General Standards Board) specifications of a minuimum of 40 cetane, for this country.....".

Now if you think the data is oudated and was taken before ULSD days, please help yourself and contact Shell, Sunoco, Petro Canada and other fuel suppliers to provide you information wrt Diesel fuel cetane rating in ON? I have e-mails from those three fuel suppliers dated 8/09 wrt Diesel fuel cetane rating in ON. Do you want me to post them and see how old the info is and who's right on this matter?
Hey, that would be great if you could post the updated inormation. I'm not interested on who's right or wrong, just curios as to what the best fuel is out there. I'm still trying to understand, why i had 2 failed IP's during a recent problem i had. I used all the tips i've read, about using fuel additive, clean working conditions and proper fuel selection.

Since ULSD has come into play, the sulphur content has been reduced, so the lubricity factor seems to be limited. I don't think the older mk3 style pump was designed for this fuel. Not just the rubber seals issue, but the internal moving parts as well.

I'm no expert by far in the matter. I just have a curios mind and every bit of info i read that can benefit me or anyone else, would be awesome.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Since the implementation of ULSD, the CGSB has also set a minimum lubricity level. You'll have to research that for yourself, but it is in place.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
honda_vtec2 said:
Hey, that would be great if you could post the updated information......,just curios as to what the best fuel is out there. ..... I just have a curios mind and every bit of info i read that can benefit me or anyone else, would be awesome.
Here it's

From Shell

RE: Diesel cetane#1572156-04‏
sheldon.schnaar@shell.com on behalf of Techdesk@shell.com Sent:August 18, 2009 3:34:29 PMTo: sjahspeed@hotmail.com
.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;}.ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}Good day,

Thank you for emailing Shell Canada's customer service.

Shell Diesel fuel cetane is a minimum of 40. Shell V-Power diesel will be from 1 to 2 points higher than Shell Diesel fuel.

Regards,

Sheldon Schnaar
Technical Helpdesk
Shell Canada Products
400 4th Avenue S.W., Calgary, Alberta T2P 0J4, Canada
Tel: +1(403)691 2556

From Petro Canada & Sunoco

Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:47 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: RE: Contact Us:Technical Assistance wrt Diesel fuel cetane rating

Currently Petro-Canada markets a seasonal diesel at retail sites with a Cetane Number of approximately 46.

Currently Sunoco markets two diesels at retail sites, a seasonal diesel with a Cetane Number of approximately 44, and Sunoco Gold diesel, at selected sites, with a Cetane number of approximately 48.

These numbers are an approximate average number and will vary from batch to batch.

Regards,

Adam Koscielak
Senior Advisor Technical Services – Ontario
Suncor Energy
Tel 905 469 3780
Cell 416 948 4594
Fax 905 469 3660
akoscielak@suncor.com

I know none of the information says that the lower Diesel cetane rating is ULSD Diesel. Well it's understood that the lower cetane rating is ULSD Diesel fuel as none of those big-3 fuel suppliers supply nothing but ULSD Diesel fuel.

Last edited:

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
So they're going to merge them now that they're the same company? Kind of like BP when PC bought them, and there were two PCs at every intersection?

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
T_D_I_POWER said:
Here it's

From Shell

sheldon.schnaar@shell.com on behalf of Techdesk@shell.com Sent:August 18, 2009 3:34:29 PMTo: sjahspeed@hotmail.com
.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;}.ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}Good day,

Thank you for emailing Shell Canada's customer service.

Shell Diesel fuel cetane is a minimum of 40. Shell V-Power diesel will be from 1 to 2 points higher than Shell Diesel fuel.

Regards,

Sheldon Schnaar
Technical Helpdesk
Shell Canada Products
400 4th Avenue S.W., Calgary, Alberta T2P 0J4, Canada
Tel: +1(403)691 2556

From Petro Canada & Sunoco

Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:47 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: RE: Contact Us:Technical Assistance wrt Diesel fuel cetane rating

Currently Petro-Canada markets a seasonal diesel at retail sites with a Cetane Number of approximately 46.

Currently Sunoco markets two diesels at retail sites, a seasonal diesel with a Cetane Number of approximately 44, and Sunoco Gold diesel, at selected sites, with a Cetane number of approximately 48.

These numbers are an approximate average number and will vary from batch to batch.

Regards,

Adam Koscielak
Senior Advisor Technical Services – Ontario
Suncor Energy
Tel 905 469 3780
Cell 416 948 4594
Fax 905 469 3660
akoscielak@suncor.com

I know none of the information says that the lower Diesel cetane rating is ULSD Diesel. Well it's understood that the lower cetane rating is ULSD Diesel fuel as none of those big-3 fuel suppliers supply nothing but ULSD Diesel fuel.
Thanks for sharing the updated info. According to specs posted. It looks like we are just a tad shy of the European standards. Where i read that reg diesel is roughly 51(cetane) and premium is 60 (cetane).

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
honda_vtec2 said:
Thanks for sharing the updated info. According to specs posted. It looks like we are just a tad shy of the European standards. Where i read that reg diesel is roughly 51(cetane) and premium is 60 (cetane).
You're welcome.

Only with the PCAS not Shell. Shell is well behind PCAS. Shell is riping Diesel owners off by selling high price for their V-Power with a lowly cetane rating of only 41-42 compare to the PCAS 44-48 cetene rating.

This is the reply I got from Shell wrt the Shell's low Diesel cetane rating when compare to PCAS. In a nut shell (no pun intended), Shell doesn't really care. They just want your hard earned dollars in their pockets by selling cheap quality Diesel fuel.

Techdesk@shell.com Sent:August 19, 2009 1:28:12 PMTo: sjahspeed@hotmail.com
.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;}.ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}

Yes. The Shell Canada diesels meet and exceed the CGSB (Canadian General Standards Board) specifications of a minuimum of 40 cetane, for this country.
There's not enough demand here to supply cetanes like they have in europe. In other countries where the requirements and demand differ from here, Shell has higher cetanes to meet or exceed those requirements there.

Thank you for your feedback, I'll pass your information on to our fuels team.
Happy and Safe Driving.

Kind regards,
Therese

Shell Canada Products
Lubricants & Fuels Technical Help Desk
This email, any attachment and/or series of responses, is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment immediately. Do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Electronic communications over a public network are not secure and therefore Shell does not accept any legal responsibility for the contents of this message, including any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail

-----Original Message-----
Sent: August 18, 2009 8:26 PM
To: SCAN Techdesk SCAN
Subject: RE: Diesel cetane#1572156-04

Therese,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

So, if I am correct reading the info you have supplied, Shell regular Diesel ULSD cetane is 40 and the premium Shell V-Power Diesel cetane is 42.

If that correct, I am literally surprise to see how low Shell cetane nos. are for both Diesel fuels, specially the V-Power.
Since Shell is the leader in Diesel fuel, I have always thought that Shell Diesel cetane nos. would be in the mid and high 40's i.e. 44-46 for the Diesel ULSD to 47-50 for the V-Power

I am an avid VW/Audi cars and have been following the ALMS/Le Mans Audi R8 gasoline powered, R10 and R15 Diesel powered racing cars for 10+ years.
I have a 2004 VW Passat TDI, and I was going to start using Shell Diesel fuel. Since, Shell supplies Diesel fuel to the Audi R10 and R15 racing cars, wouldn't it be great to use Shell Diesel to fuel my Diesel car? Well, yes it would if the Shell cetane no. is equal or higher then the competitors. Sadly to say, Shell cetane no. is neither equal nor higher than the competitors.

So, I'm sorry Therese, in this tough economic times my wallet doesn't stretch very far. Shell Diesel fuel doesn't give me the best return for my Diesel fuel investment. I have to use the competitors fuel to fuel my 2004 Passat TDI for now. However, please let me know when Shell improves the Diesel cetane no. for both Diesel fuels to the competitors level.

I do want to thank you for your help and assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Last edited: