AHU to AFN VNT turbo swap - need vacuum routing help

DRVRFWND

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd
1998 jetta TDI with AHU

Looking to put in a VNT17 and wondering where the vacuum lines should go. I have attached the vacuum diagram for an AFN motor. What is necessary and what can be omitted?

Current setup
1749VC
PD150 intake manifold
AFN exhaust manifold
Rocketchip tune with 3 bar map sensor
.216 nozzles
2 1/2" downpipe straight exhaust

I was looking through the diagram below, it seems like there are 2 N75 valves, I will not be using an EGR so I was thinking I could remove that section of plumbing. Also, are the vacuum reservoir and check valve necessary? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
if you want to be able to run actuator test you need a checkvalve and vacuum ball, otherwise you can leave it out

DRVRFWND

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd
i have a boost valve i want to put in as well, where would that go in the mix?

thanks guys

Vic.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
with a T piece in the line from N75 to actuator..

Btw, did the goods already arrive?

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but what does the vacuum ball do and does it need to be in the system?

Mine seems to have been left out..

FF

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It's used to test the actuator with vcds/vagcom with the engine off.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
It's used to test the actuator with vcds/vagcom with the engine off.
It's not really why it is there. It is there to allow there to be an amount of vacuum at all times even at idle or when braking and the brake servo is using most of the vacuum.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Plenty of folk over here without one and having no side effects, what side effects can you think of? There was talk about on here before and that was the result, it was said that it was only there for testing the vnt with the engine off because obviously it stores vacuum.

SmokeFree

Vendor
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2008 Audi A3 2.0T, 2010 Mercedes Sprinter 3500
I would think having a vacuum ball would help the response of the turbo positively. Greater vacuum and more volume of vacuum at any given time can't be a bad thing.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Post 1 and 2 have both got vnt diagrams in them, what else are you needing?
Seatman,

Sorry to res an oldun again but the first pic shows the early AFN diagram with the MAP in the ECU but not the later verson, and the second pic has disappeared... maybe that had the later versions diagram....

I think I know where the vacuum ball would go but it would help to have a completed forum post and have the answers for a change. :)

FF

Kevinb5

TDI
Merlin purple Audi A4 B5 AFN 110hp
The vacuum ball on the afn is down at the front left of the engine beside the turbo and behind the n75

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Not when its been removed from the system by Lincoln Audi some years ago it isnt! :D

In fact its in the boot of my car, hence the question having a picture or diagram of where it fits into the vacuum hoses in the system.

The actual location of where the ball was fitted at the factory is not relevant as its going to be relocated to a more accessible area where it doesn't obstruct access to other parts of the engine.

It is where it fits into the pipe networks that is requested.

FF

Kevinb5

TDI
Merlin purple Audi A4 B5 AFN 110hp
Oh righto I get you now,I saw something a while back that outlined the vac system really well,I'll try to dig it out.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
if you copy address from browser then paste to here it should provide a link...

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
KB5

Thanks for the above but the AFN I have isn't and hasn't been fitted with a N239 valve...

After a lot of searching, I have found these three diagrams which might help others in the future...

Image 3 is the one closest to my application. It has the N18 removed as the EGR has also been removed.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8722/16872254906_166acf578c_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7598/16898160425_6f163ca774.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7591/16275774774_c1d871d5ae.jpg

Although these are for the ALH engine (by all accounts), if you ignore that and just follow the hoses from the vacuum pump fitted to the cam in this example, the routing should be quite easy to follow.

FF