GTG in Minneapolis on April 24th

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired
Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with GarrettP from UpSolute! He is going to be in town on April 24th at Quality Coaches in South Minneapolis doing some chipping. I have some discounted pricing to offer up also. Garrett is offering chips at $325 each installed, if we get 8 or more committed (commitment involves sending Garrett a $100 deposit) then the price drops down to $300. I am posting this on VWvortex also so hopefully we should be able to get the better pricing. Quality Coaches is a smaller shop in South Minneapolis that does work on more hobby type cars, he has a few MG's currently, Mini's, Volvos, VW's ect. They do anything from regular maintenance to full restores, and even full custom builds (Mark, the owner, just got done building a 4x4 4dr MGb with a rumble seat). I am not sure if we will have access to lifts or anything like that but Mark is going to be there and he seems like a very nice guy so it wont hurt to ask. You can check out his site at Quality coaches.com. I am waiting on an email from Garrett with his paypal account info so we can sent him our deposit, I will post it as soon as I get it from him.

Upsolute is now offering a neat option, They have a remote that is now available that can "turn off" the chip and return the car to "stock". If you turn off the chip there is NO way to over ride this, so if you still have warrenty you can chip your car and just turn off the chip before you bring it in to the shop, and they will be none the wiser /images/graemlins/cool.gif. In Minnesota I think it would be VERY nice to have the option to turn off the chip in the winter, I don't know about you but I have a hard enought time with a stock car keeping my tires planted in the snow /images/graemlins/blush.gif. The remote is $175. Here is a link to the remote.

Feel free to email myself or Garrett with any questions
My emailbilbo6209@yahoo.com
Garretts email garrettp@upsolute.com

Bill

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Garrett can also chip other vehicles besides VW's, if you want something else chipped just shoot Garret an email and and he can tell you if he can chip it. I do know that UpSolute does a VERY good job chipping Diesel trucks.
Bill

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got word from Garrett, if you are committing to getting a chip, again that is prepaying $100 to show that you will be there, please email Garrett and let him know the particulars on your car and that you want to prepay for this event and he will give you all the needed info.

Bill

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Question about the remote...can you buy the remote after the chipping process is finished, as in 2 weeks later or so? Is Garrett the only person who offers this type of service? I understand there may be some chipping going on in another GTG the end of March somewhere else and I will be there. Thanks for any info. Couldn't tell on the link if this is possible.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I am pretty sure that Garrett is not the only person who can do the remote service, he is just the rep for MN and WI. As far as adding the remote after the fact, I would go to upsolute.com and ask in the forums if the remote can be added after the fact. If you are getting chipped in March you might want to contact who ever is setting up your chipping and see if they can do the remote.

Bill

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys,

The venue might change. I called and talked to Mark today to check if we could use the lift to do some more common GTG work, his answer is that we could use the lift to "look at the cars" but anything that needed parts he would have to sell us the parts as in incentive to letting us use the lift and shop. I have never set up or been to a GTG so I am not sure if this is common or not. If this is common practice then this is cool, but if it is not common practice then I will be looking for a different shop to host the GTG. So if you know any GTG friendly shops in the twin cities area or even Eastern WI please let me know.

Bill

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
[ QUOTE ]
So if you know any GTG friendly shops in the twin cities area or even Eastern WI please let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is one this weekend... Garrett will already be there... Too bad you can't make it.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep I gotta work this Saturday /images/graemlins/frown.gif, I have talked to a couple friends and they say that the shop is doing a fairly common thing, so it looks like we will still be at Quality Coaches after all /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
yes the remote can be added at any time with the UPsolute chip. with regards to your question if i am the only one, no. UPsolute has over 24 distributors through out the US and Canada (and the world for that matter /images/graemlins/smile.gif). there is of course other chip tuners out there and i do not think they have a remote rather a socket for switching the chips in the ECU directly.

i hope that helps /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Leseid

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Toureg TDI
Add me to the list. I'll put this on my calendar and try to be there with one of the two Golfs.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Leseid,

Did you prepay the $100? When you do plaese also email or pm me so I can keep a total too.

Thanks
Bill

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
[ QUOTE ]
Yep I gotta work this Saturday

[/ QUOTE ]

*sneeze* Work??? *cough* *cough* *cough* I don't know, it doesn't sounds like you are feeling the best... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL, as the senior desktop guy, it would look VERY bad it I wasn't there for a MAJOR software upgrade we are doing /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif I think I can wait till April for my chip /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Bill

Justin_J_Richert

TDI
Jetta, 98, Blue
I will definatly be there. I already have my chip and love it. But I would love to get together with a bunch of diesel heads and maybe do some other stuff. Like say a timing belt, or Ventectomy, or a Boost Gauge.... ect ... See you all there!

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
OK guys, a couple things I would like to look at while there with you all. I have a rattle in my front end, my friend/vw nut and I thought it was the sway-bar links, I replaced them and it is better but still rattling at about 45 when hitting bumps /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I would also like to bleed my brakes.

Bill (counting the days till I get more smiles per mile)

OH BTW we have 2 committed and 2 possibles for the chipping.

goro

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS, Arrow Silver
Count me in! I'm not in for a chip, but if we're doin' other projects, I may have injectors to go in by then. I can help with intake cleaning if anyone needs one too.

Can't wait!

TDavId

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI - Reflex Silver
I should be able to make it to the GTG, but don't think I'll chip at this time. I'm waiting for my car to get back from Countryside VW... they kept it overnight to clean my carboned up intake UNDER WARRANTY!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif See Ceasar in service- he says they'll do one cleaning under warranty- not sure if that applies to 50k+ cars. I'm at 49.5k and got to see the intake - looked like some of the pics you see on the forum- crud galore! So at the GTG I'm going to be curious about an EGR and CCV mods.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
My Vag-Com should be at my house on Monday /images/graemlins/grin.gif so bring a print out of the directions for the EGR and any other mods you want done via Vag-Com and I will be more then willing to do some tweaking. I am in the process of compiling a binder with all the Vag-Com tweaks I can find.

Bill

Keir_Asher

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Honda Accord Wagon
Does anyone know how much people are charging to have their EGR cleaned these days. I am thinking I need mine done.

msptdi

TDI
2003 Jetta, Black
I'll try to be there. I'll bring my Vag-Com too. I'm not yet an expert on using it, but can easily do the EGR mod and check and clear trouble codes.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey all,

I'm into count down mode now /images/graemlins/tongue.gif 39 days and counting. Currently we only have 2 confirmed chips /images/graemlins/confused.gif I thought there would be alot more interest in this. If you are waiting till the last minute please get your emails and money to Garrett so we all can get the better pricing. If you have email and sent Garrett your money please also post here or email me so I can keep a total count between the 2 sites.

Thanks
Bill

vwbmw

TDI
2002 Golf GL 5spd blk
[ QUOTE ]
>>Countryside VW..clean my carboned up intake..See Ceasar in service- he says they'll do one cleaning under warranty <<

That's good news to me since I use Countryside also ..but does anyone know if while doing the the cleaning do they also check (reset) the EGR?? (someone with a Vag-Com did the EGR mod on mine at <5k ..so it'd obviously be handy to have a dealer look inside for "results" before 50k warranty.) [oops, looks like my Q is inside the quote here]

Leseid

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Toureg TDI
I'm not planning on doing the Upsolute mod right now--so no, I haven't prepaid. Kinda on the fence on this since both our Golfs seem to have enough power. Actually just wanted to meet everyone.

TIA

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Woo Hoo 3 weeks and counting!!!

Just an fyi, Garrett is out of the county till the 16th or so. So if you don't get a reply from him, he will follow up when he can.
Bill (couting the days)

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Down to 16 days and counting /images/graemlins/grin.gif

We are at 3 official prepaid, 2 stating they are going to pay, and 2 possiables if your keeping count /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I just realized that I never stated the start time of the GTG.

I just got of the phone with Mark at Quality, the GTG is set to start at 10am on 4/24/04. I will bring some doughnuts/cookies etc

I just got told that we are having MANDITORY over time on the 24th into the 25th :banghead: , so unfortunately I will have to come in and kick off the GTG get chipped and then fly /images/graemlins/frown.gif My friend (Brian) is also kind of the co-coordinator of the GTG so he should be around to help keep everyone happy, not like that should take that much :p

Bill