Dual mass flywheels

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
It turns out that my 806 HDI has a dual mass flywheel.
Apparently these can cause trouble ( like they fall apart and destroy the transmission ) and as mine has done 160,000 miles a lot of people are telling me to change it when I change the clutch (which will be in the next few weeks ).
An interesting possibility is that apparently Valeo do a conversion kit to fit an old style solid flywheel.

Will I notice anything different if I go to a solid flywheel ? all my previous cars had them

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
from http://www.valeoservice.com/data/master/webfile/7058436784358DAC45F37F.pdf

>> Description
The 4-part Kit with rigid flywheel is a replacement product for the Dual Mass Flywheel, specifically
developed by Valeo for the aftermarket.
The Dual Mass Flywheel aftermarket is an emerging market, resulting from developments in Original
Equipment over the past few years. This new technology has led to an increase in the cost of the
clutch function, which translates as a considerable increase in clutch repair cost when it becomes
necessary. Valeo has developed the concept of the 4-part kit, enabling a considerable reduction in
this extra cost, by proposing a more economical alternative.
>> Features
In the 4-part kit, made of a rigid flywheel and a traditional 3-part kit, the vibration & noise
filtering function, normally performed by the Dual Mass Flywheel, is transferred to the WX disc,
which thanks to its long travel damper, has a high filtering capacity while transferring a high
engine torque.
This new technical solution from Valeo therefore replaces the Dual Mass Flywheel and the
original clutch kit, when a full system replacement is required.
>> Benefits
The 4-part kit with rigid flywheel enables cost savings of up to 30% on the part price, a real
advantage for a product intended for vehicles that are already less than new.
For some vehicle applications, the 4-part kit also increases the lifetime of the part, by
increasing the friction surface.
>> Applications
Following the resounding success of the first kit launched in 2004, Valeo is extending the range
with two new part numbers to fit popular vehicles.
More generally, Valeo has launched a development program on this product range, and in the
coming months will introduce regular range extensions, in order to cover a considerable
number of vehicles originally fitted with Dual Mass Flywheels.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
christi, the A4 TDI cars here came with a DMF and it was popular a few years back (haven't looked in the A4 forums in a while) to replace with a conventional flywheel. IIRC the main qualitative difference was a tad more vibration on clutch takeup (as alluded to above in your post).

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
I found some more info on dual mass flywheels here
http://www.zf-trading.co.uk/direkt.php?link=owx_8_29811_2_6_0_bf081606181366.html

it seems that they give a smoother drive and easier gearchange because the friction plate is much lighter ( no springs ). Given that my 2nd gear syncro is a little bit weak and the car drives so nicely I'm not so sure now. Maybe I should just buy a new dual mass flywheel.

Apparently the first symptom of a knackered dual mass flywheel is a squeak when the engine is switched off. Mine has the squeak.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Sandy's 306 makes a cheep sometimes when turning off too. But it aint got a DMF... You have cable gearchange on the 806 (yes?) so it's unlikely to be linkage-related, but have a look at it anyway. Also, at the exhaust flexmount- the knitted stainless gasket jobbie at the turbo outlet, and/or the tensioning springs under the retaining bolts. Stripping said joint and rebuilding with some Copaslip might just silence your squeak...

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
to be honest it is a bit irrelevent

the centre plate has lasted 160,000 miles, so a new one might take the vehicle to 250,000+ , however there is no way that the DMF will last that long
getting the transmission off an 806 looks a total nightmare, so basically the DMF has to be changed at the same time as I don't want to do it again ever

my local parts guy called Valeo today and they said that currently they are selling conversion kits for Transit and VW, but no HDI. They had a lot of queries about HDI but aren't selling them ( why the hell they put it on their website then .. ).

I can't put a HDI 90bhp flywheel on because the 90 has a BE4 trans with push type clutch whereas 110bhp has MLT trans with pull type clutch.

I wonder what the 2.1 TD has...

Anyway local parts guy can supply a new DMF flywheel and clutch for 320 pounds inc VAT which isn't too bad I suppose.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
I called Valeo yesterday
the 4 part kit is not available for the HDI until June.
As the sound and feel of the clutch is getting worse, and I want to tow the caravan to France during half term I have ordered a replacement standard duel mass flywheel and clutch kit. Costs 320 quid from a local motor factor. Hopefully I can fit it next Saturday.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
got to update this thread as well.....

I fitted a new LuK DMF to the 806 several years back and it didn't last long at all (unlike the original Valeo one). I think less than 30,000 miles though. It started to slip.

By then the Valeo solid flywheel replacement was available so I had to do the job again.

The main difference I have noticed is that the engine makes a slightly coarser noise under load. When cruising or a light throttle you can't tell any difference.