Future Passat restoration project

Jzallan

TDI
2001 jetta TDI, 2002 jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI, 2004 Passat TDI
Hi all. Have a 96 Passat that's next up for some restoration. Looking for body Moldings! The roof moldings and door belt moldings are sort of rough looking and I would love to replace them. Any thoughts, links or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hi
The mouldings you're mentioning are color coordinated, so let us know what color you're looking for, and if your project is a sedan or wagon.

Thanks,
Steve

Jzallan

TDI
2001 jetta TDI, 2002 jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI, 2004 Passat TDI
The belt moldings along the window are black and seem to be swelling from rust. I believe they are metal that has a coating over them. The body side moldings are painted the same as the car color. I think I’ll just repaint those when I do the car. I tried the dealership to see if there was any old stock available, but they didn’t think there was. I guess I wasn’t sure if anyone made aftermarket ones? The roof moldings are just sun damaged. Probably didn’t have much for UV protection back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Got it,

I find the ones in junkyards south of the rust belt to be in good shape... But new I don't have a good answer... Sorry

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The belt moldings along the window are black and seem to be swelling from rust. I believe they are metal that has a coating over them. The body side moldings are painted the same as the car color. I think I’ll just repaint those when I do the car. I tried the dealership to see if there was any old stock available, but they didn’t think there was. I guess I wasn’t sure if anyone made aftermarket ones? The roof moldings are just sun damaged. Probably didn’t have much for UV protection back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the belt moldings have a metal core, a very soft metal core and they do rust sometimes if there's a cut or break in the rubber.

Now they are kind of difficult to find and yes, some of them are discontinued but I don't recall which ones. As of last summer there were a couple still available from VW IIRC.

Steve