just another FMIC question

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
I searched both the site and google and I can't find the answer although I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse. I need new intercooler piping so I figure replace the whole thing.

Any links to a good kit that leaves the crash bar fully intact?

If not I found the same SMIC darkside uses on ebay, but the piping (separate seller) is priced out of this world.

BTW I'm in Canada, so unless shipping is reasonable all the ebay.com ads require ludicrous amounts for shipping. I'm running a GTB2260 so I need it to handle a bit of boost.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
You can use the eBay front mount kit and get a euro front crash bar. The euro crash bar is hollow and you can route the upper piping right thru it. If you would buy the dark side front mount kit they will tell you to change to the euro crash bar. A friend of mine uses the eBay front mount on his gtb set up and it works fine.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I got a 27x7x2 FMIC in front of the AC with out doing more than a tiny trim on the front rebar on my MK3, i had to scoot the radiator back 1 inch and cut and weld the tabs on the AC back .25" and i just had to trim a tiny bit, check out my gt2052 build. i know its for your 04 sport but maybe you can get creative like i did.

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
Darkside pd130 fmic kit it what I got. For extra 50 GBP they will send you the euro crash bar to make it full plug and play with stock BEW and vnt17. Requires very little trimming. I have pics of the install if you want a general idea. Edit: re-read and saw you are running gtb turbo. They have options for gtb turbo on when ordering I believe.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
MAKE sure you run a towel with some parts clean though them with a string, you will get LOADS of aluminum shavings out of them from the bending machine.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Crazy! Thanks for the replies.

I was going to get the darkside kit before but its about $1000 plus shipping. Seeing as they use ebay ic's I just cant pay the extra. Can get the kit geobmx posted for $200. Id need a different manifold to run the opposite side but thats ok too.

I've been really busy but sure I will have more questions.

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
That fmic will work nice. Just buy some straight alu pipe and use silicone elbows where you need and you are done for under 200$ .

1000 for a fmic and piping? jeez

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i did mine for about $80 in parts total, i waited till one was marked on clearance, used my eBay bucks and a black Friday 10% off any eBay purchase. well over $200 in parts, about $250, i had a lot of eBay bucks

raffshore

I searched both the site and google and I can't find the answer although I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse. I need new intercooler piping so I figure replace the whole thing.
Any links to a good kit that leaves the crash bar fully intact?
If not I found the same SMIC darkside uses on ebay, but the piping (separate seller) is priced out of this world.
BTW I'm in Canada, so unless shipping is reasonable all the ebay.com ads require ludicrous amounts for shipping. I'm running a GTB2260 so I need it to handle a bit of boost.

Check out wagner, not cheap but the best

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
stock piping flows a lot more than your turbo
you can get a 1.8 pancake pipe, but honestly even that's really overkill for anything under a 50mm inducer
Larger intercooler can get you gains if you live where the stock one heatsoaks, piping will get you nothing.

Pressure side can be absolutely tiny, all under 2", as these tiny VNT turbos spool so quick off idle that you don't need atmospheric flow like you do with a larger wastegated turbo where the engine's breathing on its own until the turbo wakes up.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
It might be wise to just upgrade to the darkside side mount kit or at least the inter cooler. You can create turbo lag with all the front mount piping and larger inter cooler. Unless you are running a large enough turbo such as a gtb or along those lines.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
I am running a gtb2260. My side mount gets heatsoaked very quickly and I also blew the sides out of my original one. I happened to have another to throw in for the time being
I was considering a smic, but all the discussions seem to be dont waste the money and go front mount.

I have been doing a fair amount of towing as well.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Put it this way, I plan to tune it to ~220hp and call it quits. I'm really easy on the car for the most part, but one run from 30-70 and I'm done for.

Go fm, or sm? I honestly would prefer not to throw on a fm because we have to pass emissions and I feel like a fm will make the inspector look further and see the tubular manifold with no egr attached.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Well I’d say with that power outlook and having a 2260 go front mount. If you do it right the whole thing will be hidden behind the bumper cover. I debated doing front mount myself but I only have a vnt17 so I just did the darkside upgraded side mount kit. Like I said above though using a euro crash bar with either the eBay front mount or darkside front mount kit. It will stay hidden behind your cover. Good luck whatever way you decide!!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm really easy on the car for the most part, but one run from 30-70 and I'm done for.
side mount will do fine
whenever you aren't making boost, the air out of the turbo is pretty much outside air temp
meaning, if you're just doing infrequent pulls it will have time to cool between them.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
side mount will do fine
whenever you aren't making boost, the air out of the turbo is pretty much outside air temp
meaning, if you're just doing infrequent pulls it will have time to cool between them.
IMO he could probably get away with an upgraded SMIC if he was running a stock or even a VNT-17 that's tuned, but when running a turbo that's a 17/22 or bigger than I would recommend going with a FMIC.

I know that running a larger turbo isn't going to have as high of EGTs, but it's better to have a larger intercooler on a car that is going to be making 220 hp. There's a reason why certain size ICs have a hp rating...meaning it can only flow a certain amount of air and cool it as it goes through.

If you haven't made your decision yet, then either piece together a FMIC or bite the bullet and buy one, because what was the point in spending all that money on a larger turbo, bigger injectors, and a tune to let the ECU control all the new upgrades. :p

Otherwise everytime you wanna push your car you're going to have to worry about heat soak :eek:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
IMO he could probably get away with an upgraded SMIC if he was running a stock or even a VNT-17 that's tuned, but when running a turbo that's a 17/22 or bigger than I would recommend going with a FMIC.
Eh, I was running a stock side mount as the low pressure IC with a 46/58 compressor and 52/46 turbine feeding it only 16 PSI, the HP turbo did surge a bit earlier than it should've, so maybe it was a significant enough restriction to bump that down a couple PSI.
You'd see a lot better flow through the intercooler with it seeing full intake manifold pressure though.

Current setup's going together with a 60/86 compressor feeding the same junk stock side mount, but I won't claim it's a good idea. :p

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Not trying to hijack a thread I’m new can’t figure out how to start another one yet just a quick question I bought golf all intercooler piping will it work on my all jetta?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Not trying to hijack a thread I’m new can’t figure out how to start another one yet just a quick question I bought golf all intercooler piping will it work on my all jetta?

At the top of all the threads you found this thread on. Left top corner is the tab to make a new thread. I my experience mk4 golf and Jetta are about 95% the same. Most differences are body and interior pieces. For that matter there are a ton of Audi TT components that will interchange also. They might not be the same but will bolt onto one another. Little research and you won’t believe the compatablilty of those cars.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
I havn't done one yet. But I think I will use the kit above on ebay. Seems everyone sells the same intercooler anyways. I would really prefer same side in and out and thats what im holding back on for now. I cant make up my mind.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Same side in and out is the only way to go IMO. It makes plumbing for that intercooler sooo much easier that going with an intercooler with opposite sides for in and out.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes with the install. :)

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Awesome! Will do. I jus dont feel like buying a pd150 intake to make it work. I will probay make a decision this week with temps getting warmer and ill update with some pics and how much of a pain it is.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
So I finally did it and replaced my smic. I went with the darkside unit and the euro crash bar. I was glad I paid a bit more because install was so easy. I was in and out in 6.5 hours.

My suggestion is to install the intercooler to the plastic rad support to mock everything up. I drilled a 1/4" hole and the bolts threaded enough to hold it all in place. I cut the metal pipe from the intake side and used a 45 at the middle to push the pipe out so to miss the pully.

All in all real happy, nice and easy. Longest part was sawzalling the crash bar for the pipe to fit. I can post pics if anybody needs to visualize.