P0470 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor

S_Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Coupe and 2012 JSW
Does anyone have information on the P0470 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor code? This is what my VAG COM told me...

Address 01: Engine (CJA) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 019 CL HW: 03L 906 022 TS
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG 7966
Revision: 12H02--- Serial number:
Coding: 0050072
Shop #: WSC 07134 444 04953
VCID: 77D3309806D65B6

1 Fault Found:
001136 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450)
P0470 - 000 - Malfunction - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 16
Mileage: 74069 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 828 /min
Speed: 4.0 km/h
Temperature: 8.1°C
Temperature: 92.7°C
Temperature: 90.0°C
Pressure: 326 mbar
Pressure: 8 mbar

S_Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
Update...

No one, including the dealer parts department has a parts listing for a backpressure sensor. :confused:

I decided that if there's too much backpressure, then perhaps I've been driving too gently. So, I have been revving it higher and having more fun with the car for the last few days. The CEL went out! :)

S_Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
Update 2:

CEL came on again. Talked to non-dealer VW certified mechanic, and was recommended to take it to the dealer suspecting DPF / Cat 1 issues.

It turns out that there is a backpressure sensor that's mounted on the valve cover. It has two tubes that connect to the exhaust system, and apparently mine is broken. OH, I almost forgot, it's not covered by the emissions warranty. Hopefully the $160.00 repair bill will fix the problem.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Don't you just love how something that causes a DPF error (with the DPF being there for emissions purposes) isn't covered by the emissions warranty? ***?

I know it's only $160, but I'd raise a bit of hell just on principle.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The DPF and "Cats" and ECU and few other things are covered out to 80,000 as part of the Federal Emissions Warranty.

Everything else needs to be "properly maintained", even though you could clog your DPF because of a bad sensor. I've been emailing the EPA warranty department over the past few days, the warranty isn't really worth a whole lot anymore.

S_Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
The DPF and "Cats" and ECU and few other things are covered out to 80,000 as part of the Federal Emissions Warranty.

Everything else needs to be "properly maintained", even though you could clog your DPF because of a bad sensor. I've been emailing the EPA warranty department over the past few days, the warranty isn't really worth a whole lot anymore.
The lawyers have earned their paychecks! That's all that matters any more. :mad:

It's not worth fighting about. I've already tried to fight with them once, and all it did was make me mad. So, it's not worth it.

Today's update is that after waiting two days, the wrong part arrived. The dealer ordered the wrong part. So, I picked up the car and will take it back when they get the correct part.

Last edited:

S_Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
In case anyone else has this problem, the sensor's part number is 076-906-051-B, and it costs $87.45. Total repair bill was $156.04.

It's a small black box with one electrical connector and two rubber hose connections of different sizes. It's mounted on a metal bracket to the left of the oil fill cap.

The old one, that they gave back to me, says "VWAG DPS 1003G 906 051G".

Hopefully this will be useful to someone.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
Just scanned my car due to a "Check Engine Light"

P0471 EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR (RANGE/PERFORMANCE)
P0470 EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR ERROR

Thanks S_Sanders.
I'll take a look at the sensor your referencing.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
Need More Information: Can anyone help?

Check Engine Light.
Read Code with cheap OBDII reader....."P0470 EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR ERROR"

VAG COM reader scan results......

1 Fault Found:
001136 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450)
P0470 - 000 - Malfunction - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency:54

So, I ordered and replaced differential pressure "sensor 1 G450"
Sensor 1 G450 P/N = 076 906 051B ($80)

Page 26-10 in the Bentley Manual.

The Check Engine Light stayed on. =(

There is another differential pressure sensor (sensor 2) next to sensor 1.
The sensors "look" the same, but have different part numbers.

Sensor 1 G450 P/N = 076 906 051B
Sensor 2 G451 P/N = 03G 906 051G

I decided to swap the original sensor 1 I removed and install it in the sensor 2 position.
Basically assuming the sensors are the same and that sensor 2 was bad not sensor 1...even though my VAG COM scan is sayings its sensor 1 that is bad.

Anyway, after swapping sensor 2 out and installing the original sensor 1 in its place the check engine light went out and has stayed off.
The car runs normal. Nothing abnormal. No check engine lights.
I forced a regen and the car has also done a normal regen with no issues.

So, my question is:

What is the difference between those two sensors? Should I assume they are the same and just run the car with two "sensor 1" differencial pressure sensors?

I'd like to know why those two sensors have different part numbers? I would rather not have to go buy a new "sensor 2" sensor since my original "sensor 1" is working fine in its place....just don't want to assume too much and cause an issue down the road?

Anyone know what the differences are, if any, between:

Thanks.

Last edited:

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Need More Information: Can anyone help?

So, my question is:

What is the difference between those two sensors? Should I assume they are the same and just run the car with two "sensor 1" differencial pressure sensors?

I'd like to know why those two sensors have different part numbers? I would rather not have to go buy a new "sensor 2" sensor since my original "sensor 1" is working fine in its place....just don't want to assume too much and cause an issue down the road?

Thanks.
G450 = Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor
G451 = Low Pressure EGR Differential Pressure Sensor

[Note the SSG I have doesn't reference this sensor G451 by number - only name. You'll have to trace back the lines to be sure G451 does measure across LP EGR Valve.]

G450 measures the differential pressure across the DPF. This information used to develop one of two soot load models used to trigger DPF regenerations. G451 is used to help position the Low Pressure EGR Valve. It is not likely that these sensors are interchangeable. They are both differential pressure sensors (ie the compare differences in pressure between two points). This implies they have been engineered for their specific locations (i.e. correct DP range, zero setpoint, electrical properties).

I'm sure you intuitively feel that this may not be the best thing to be doing. Hence your question. Just because the physical sensors look the same, given the different P/N's there is no reason to believe they can be interchanged. Germans are if nothing else efficient. If the same sensor worked in both locations they would have the same P/N.

Using a DP sensor of the wrong range, calibration, or electrical properties will at best just be feeding your engine controller bad information. At worst this situation could cause:

1. Electrical problems for the ECU controller.

2. In correct operation of your vehicle emission system.

Last edited:

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
I agree. Even though my car is running fine (at least seems to be).

The two part numbers are telling me they are different sensors and are not interchangeable.

Looks like 03G 906 051G (sensor 2, G0451) is about $80. I'll order a new one and swap it out to be safe.

Thanks for your reply...

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
You're welcome. Part of my day job involves maintenance to automation systems. Most industrial sensors are intelligent devices. They can be programmed for minor shifts in engineering range (span), zero, and even minor corrections to linearity. Most of the auto stuff is dumb. It is way cheaper and mostly non-adjustable. Only option is replacement.

Diagnosing issues can be a challenge. Let's say a sensor drifts a bit. Now it may be sending bad info, but not bad enough to throw a code. This is why GFF (guided fault finding) is an imperfect process. Technology is here to stay. Maybe one day auto sensors will become intelligent. Then you would be down to just 1 part number, but the sensor would have to be programmed before use.

Seapup

TDI
2010 Jetta 2.0TDI sportwagon
Hey TDI Buddies,
I just pulled the codes off my wifes 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagon with 36,000 miles. I checked out some code reader from Advanced Auto and stumbled my way thru. At first it found no codes but a little later I found 2 codes set. Each was P0470 Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. I wrote down the code and then erase the codes set and cleared the check engine light. I restarted the TDI and no more check engine light. I returned the code reader and got my drivers license back. I drove home and still no check engine light. When I got home I turned the engine off, waited a few minutes and restarted the TDI, still no check engine light. I told my wife to watch for the check engine light and that most likely we will be buying the 2 sensors mentioned above. I assume they cost $80 a piece, is that thru the VW dealership? I'll check RockAuto and see if they carry the 2 parts. This information is great, I'm brand new to this forum even tho my wife has had the car since Christmas 2009.

Seapup

TDI
2010 Jetta 2.0TDI sportwagon
looked up the prices of the 2 parts 076906051b cost $65 dollars, p.n. 03G906051G bad part number but I just read in a post here that the 03G906051G has been replaced with 076906051b so....they are the same from what I read here?

Can anyone confirm this, thanks.

Tec80

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Here we go, EPA-induced retroactive coverage letter to follow (with reimbursement claim form).

peaz

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
G450 = Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor
G451 = Low Pressure EGR Differential Pressure Sensor

[Note the SSG I have doesn't reference this sensor G451 by number - only name. You'll have to trace back the lines to be sure G451 does measure across LP EGR Valve.]

G450 measures the differential pressure across the DPF. This information used to develop one of two soot load models used to trigger DPF regenerations. G451 is used to help position the Low Pressure EGR Valve. It is not likely that these sensors are interchangeable. They are both differential pressure sensors (ie the compare differences in pressure between two points). This implies they have been engineered for their specific locations (i.e. correct DP range, zero setpoint, electrical properties).

I'm sure you intuitively feel that this may not be the best thing to be doing. Hence your question. Just because the physical sensors look the same, given the different P/N's there is no reason to believe they can be interchanged. Germans are if nothing else efficient. If the same sensor worked in both locations they would have the same P/N.

Using a DP sensor of the wrong range, calibration, or electrical properties will at best just be feeding your engine controller bad information. At worst this situation could cause:

1. Electrical problems for the ECU controller.

2. In correct operation of your vehicle emission system.
Does anyone know if the G451 sensor is still in your car if you received the new air cooler to help with the sludge build up in cold weather? The MIL light just popped up on my car with a P0470 code a couple days ago. I have about 41,000 miles on it with the new cooler and EGR modifications for sluge build up in the cooler.

Tosh2

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI sedan, sold, 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, auto(!), 2009 TDI sedan Graphite Blue, DSG, ESP. SOLD!
Forced re-gen?

I'm about to replace exhaust pressure sensor B and hopefully fix the persistent CEL issue and P047 code. How do I "force" a re-gen after I'm done, since I'm sure it's needed.

Last edited:

Keithuk

TDI
Golf GTD 2.0 (170)

ETKA says 03G 906 051G was dropped for 076 906 051B - £60

The fact that the code says 001136 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450) and you saying Sensor 1 and Sensor 2, are there 2 of them?

Motodisiac

TDI
2010 JSW
Just had the same issue with our 2010 JSW. Swapped the sensor, cleared OBDII codes and all is well. Spent at least 45 minutes cursing and sweating, I was expecting simple sensor swap to go much easier. Tip for the future: do it when the car is cold. It's still a *****.

Mykillcykill

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
My first post, thanks to this forum for getting me the needed info to fix this issue with our TDI.
I too had the P0470 code (60,000 ish miles)and replaced the sensor behind the oil filler to fix. It's straightforward but a bit fiddly, here are a couple tips:
Cold engine! There's not much slack in the hoses, I used longnose vice grips to hold open the hose clamp (yes, there was only one), break the hoses loose by prying the hose from the sensor with a wide flatblade, then pull up and off. The bracket and sensor are held on by two torx that you remove blindly. Spit on the hose connectors on the new sensor so it slides easily onto the hoses.
FWIW: After the first CEL, I reset a couple times and got a few hundred miles in between CEL. The car ran fine throughout, but I swear it runs better now. probably all in my head but I'm rolling with it.
Cheers

88BlackZ-51

TDI
The light just came on after i filled the car 20 mins ago. Put the scan tool on and P0470.

Just to be clear what part # and where do i order it??

Car has 60000 miles on it. Thanks!!

Update found sensor but mine is 076 906 051A

2009 jetta sedan. Do i need the A or B??

Last edited:

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
For 2009, I think you need the A, not B, part. 076 supersedes 03G. So, it's possible you had a new one already put on, that should have been an 'A', not a 'B' like you found. The changeover could also have been during the '09 production run. Sorry I can't help more. If your manufacture date is 2008 (mine was June '08, for my 2009), or around there, I'd go with 'A'. So, check. To be more sure, you could try having VW run a VIN, to see what sensor part # comes up for your car.

ddjernes

TDI
2010 JSW
I did some research on this and replacing the sensor alone does not fix the problem. Installing a new sensor without adapting it will cause the new sensor to go bad as well.. You need VCDS in order to install it correctly...

Install the sensor.
Do not start the car.
Open VCDS.
01- Engine
- Coding II
--Start Exhaust Pressure Sensor Adaptation
Run it.

That should fix the sensor install.

elpasotdi

TDI
Jetta '09 TDI
Do you need to run that procedure for the 'new' sensor? I ordered the G450 sensor and it came exactly with the OEM part number or 'old' one. My Jetta is '09 and I purchased it in '08. Actually I installed the sensor but I still see the MIL light :(

elpasotdi

TDI
Jetta '09 TDI
You are right. I will try to replace the other sensor and see if it fixes it.

Do you know how to take the sensor off, the one that is shielded with the flexible fiberglass?

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
:eek: Good Grief!!! $440!!! The part is $87 from the dealership and it takes less than 10 minutes to replace it. What in the world kind of labor per hour are they charging...:mad:

m_skena

Veteran Member
TDI
Not Any More!
:eek: Good Grief!!! $440!!! The part is $87 from the dealership and it takes less than 10 minutes to replace it. What in the world kind of labor per hour are they charging...:mad:
That's steep, but it took a lot more than 10 minutes to replace the one I did for my buddy's '09. His was the sensor behind the oil fill (wrapped in heat shield). Major, and I mean MAJOR, PITA to get to.