hard starting 99 Jetta tdi

p pfister

My jetta has 30,000 miles on it and is very hard to crank and fire, especially when it is hot. have been to 2 dealers and they still cannot figure out the problem. Any others experienced the same problem? Cure?

justme

Veteran Member
Two questions:
1) Does it turn over quickly or slowly? In other words, how's the battery?

2) Does it smoke badly when it starts?
If so, this could be (I guess at least) two things: The anti shudder valve may be sticking (this is on the intake manifold, toward the back/top of the engine). You can open/close this valve by hand, and you can tell if it's sticky. Search the forums for anti-shudder or anti shudder and you'll see some info.

It could also be a timing belt that's hanging together by threads and is way out of wack. Check that asap and don't drive the car until you're sure the timing belt is OK.

How does it run after it starts?

p pfister

it turns over slowly like it might be a low battery but it does not fire immediately. it does smoke upon startup but runs OK after that. would not the dealer check the anti shudder and timing belt? i thought maybe the fuel filter might be the problem, what do you think? thanks for the info. will check out the forum on anti shudder. you can email me direct if you like. pfish48@hotmail.com