Little Pittsburgh Clan

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
it was a jetta> O well
Is the switchable RC alot more than the normal set up??

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
keks said:
Is the switchable RC alot more than the normal set up??
Do you mean cost? I don't think so. It does take more tme to set up, because we logged data from both sets. driving around... tweaking... driving... tweaking. I was at Jeff's all day. Had nozzles installed too.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
yea, I meant cost. That would be pretty cool.
Is there any benefit for either? Or does 3 just have more power than 2?
Do you switch from under the hood or do you have a switch you hit on your dash(that would be pretty cool)

Anyway my car is down for now, I cracked a EGR cooler flex hose by not tightening down the EGR cooler tight enough when going to clean the intake.After I found that the first hex was stripped on the intake, I put it back together quick and crappy so I guess thats what I get.
Just found out a couple hours ago when peeking under the hood,trying to figure out the sudden loss of power and a wierd Bell Vibration Noise when RPM's got around 30.
Any suggestions of someone local that might have one of these?

I know someone stripping a 99.5 and pretty sure they still have the Motor.
I might give them a call to see if the hoses match up.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I forgot to ask Jeff how to switch between 2 & 3. A3's are cheaper to chip than newer ones- I had mine done at the Ohio GTG in April.

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Newbie looking to buy TDI in Pgh

Hey all,

Very cool that there's a local thread. I'm a long time '84 volvo 240 turbo wagon owner who is making the switch to a VW TDI...I'm shopping for one right now...and thought perhaps you folks might be willing to offer some advice. I'm looking to buy pre-owned for under $15k if possible, and would prefer something with rear storage, so I'm leaning toward a 4dr Golf or the Jetta wagon. Also, I need an automatic because I'll be sharing the car with my fiancee, who doesn't drive stick (and doesn't want to learn how). Other than that, I'm not too particular about styling...though a sunroof and leather would be sweet ; ) Worth noting is that I'm making the switch away from the volvo because I just don't have the time to tinker with cars for hours each week -- for better or worse, I'm too busy for that now. I figure that buying something relatively new will hopefully reduce the time I need to spend in order to keep the car healthy.

What should I be looking for in a used TDI...Particular trouble spots or known issues? Good local dealers what you would buy from? Are there good local mechanics? Blah blah blah. I'd particularly like to hear your thoughts about reliability, since VW's in general seem to be getting poor scores in this area lately.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer. I'm REALLY looking forward to being a TDI owner.

Thanks.

-MARK

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Newbie looking to buy TDI in Pgh...part 2

Hi again,

Just to make it clear, so that I don't get flamed for my question...I have indeed already read the tdiclub.com newbie FAQ, including the section on buying a used TDI. What I'd like to hear are your thoughts on this subject that may not be covered in the FAQ, as well related local issues like VW dealers and mechanics in the Pittsburgh area. Thanks...

-Mark

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
muso said:
I'm looking to buy pre-owned for under $15k
muso said:
Worth noting is that I'm making the switch away from the volvo because I just don't have the time to tinker with cars for hours each week
You realize these statements are mutually exclusive when looking for a VW ;)

Just kidding. I have an '03 and it has been very reliable. 2003's are getting to the age where timing belt changes are going to be needed or have just happened. Keep an eye out for a good TB change if done. You already know about oil, etc. In my opinion, except for brand new, the '03 is best as it is the last of the A4 body with the ALH engine. Most of the A4 bugs were fixed by 03.

Good luck

jwlionking

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Black 6 Speed Manual
Stirer said:
Keep an eye out for a good TB change if done. You already know about oil, etc.
I would recommend looking for a documented timing belt change.

99.5 to 01's (some 02's) required timing belt change interval:
autos - every 40k manual - every 60k

02's up required timing belt change interval:
autos 60k manual 80k

Updated belt and pulley - 100k

Other then that as with any car, look for documented maintenance. VW's last a very long time when maintained properly. A TDI can cost you a lot of money if it isn't properly maintained. If you know someone in the area that KNOWS tdi's, take them along when you decide on your car. Wouldn't hurt to run a VAG-COM log.

If buying a 04 and up, look for documentation and also verify that nothing other than 505.01 CERTIFIED oil was used. If any other type of oil was used, its possible that the engine may not last as long as it was designed for.

Drivbywire once said TDI engines were engineered to last ~1.5 million miles. They will never come close to that mark if they are not properly maintained.

Last edited:

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
German Built as Opposed to Mexican built would be a big plus!

Find out if the intake was ever cleaned, If fuel filter was ever replaced (particularly if car was running Biodiesel,) Just get all the info you can.

I have vagcom, so let me know if you find something local, and want to have it scanned.

Last edited:

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
More questions from a newbie

Awesome...thanks for the replies everyone. A couple of quick follow-up questions:

1) I'm reading mixed reviews about using Biodiesel (blends above B20) in the PD engine. Any of you have have experience with this, or know something that would clarify this for me?

2) For whatever reason, I haven't been able to find info telling me what models are manufactured in Germany versus Mexico, etc. I'm sure it's out there and I just haven't found it. Can someone help me out on this?

Thanks.

-Mark

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
astonishedboy said:
I think the manufacturing location is printed on the tag at the Driver's Door. If not, I think it is part of the VIN.
I think you're right on both counts...I just figured someone had compiled a list showing the country of origin of certain model years. Maybe that's not how it works though...I guess it does make more sense that you'd have to figure this out on a car by car basis, eh? I guess I'll just rely on my carfax reports, then.

-Mark

Last edited:

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
It tells you the break down in the Bently by Vin number.I just glanced at it for a second,still not sure what country mine was built in.

Last edited:

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 1996 Metallic Green
shaners said:
I can't beleive I've never seen this thread... I'm about 60 miles North of Pgh in Grove City!
Gotta love those outlets! I need to get up there soon and poke around in the stores. Welcome to the group!

85Porsche

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
Guys - My '04 Jetta has about 85K miles on it and I'm thinking about a timing belt change, considering I've only owned the car for about 8 mos. Any suggestions on who or where to go to have it done? So far, I've had the car to Hillcrest VW in New Ken who has done a good job and I've heard good things about, but I have only had relatively minor stuff done.

Thanks for the info.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
If you gotta go to a dealer - Hillcrest's service dept and parts dept are actually pretty good. They are my local dealer. I had Mikan in Butler do a timing belt change for me. They were more convenient and I had no issues with them - but it's the only thing that I've had done there.

Hillcrest did my dealer free maintenance, recalls, assorted other minor stuff - glow plug harness, and other small stuff when I didn't have the time to do it.

You gotta love a dealer that has a competent female mechanic in the bunch.

You may want to check with metalnerd. I had asked him of local garage's that he had sold the TB tools to that he would recommend a few years ago. At the time he didn't really have anybody but I think he was looking for a 'preferred' garage or two. He's in the Greensburg area. I have actually never looked at the TDI trusted mechanic list.

Dave

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Cool VW VIN decoder

Hey all,

Just as a follow up to some earlier posts about figuring out which VW's are made in Germany vs Latin America, I found this site that has a slick VIN decoder. Maybe it's old news to some, but I had never seen it before.

http://www.abvwc.org.uk/vw_vin.htm

BTW, I'm still in the market for a TDI 4dr Golf or Jetta wagon, auto tranny, GLS trim, preferably with less than 50,000 miles. Please PM me if you see anything out there. Thanks...

Last edited:

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like mine was made south of the Border

pghvdubguy95

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat se 6m,
this is a little late post, but the country codes are the first number on the vin number

w = germany
1 = USA
3 = Mexico
9 = Brazil

Also, whoever was asking for local repairs shops. I use Bob's service in dravosburg. He has the most diesel knowege of any shop around, plus he drives a diesel !!!!

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd like his info also,thats not to far from my house

feafg

TDI
04 Jetta PD
Fayette County TDI

Hey Everyone,
Glad to see a Pgh Area Group. I drive a 04 PD. Bought it new, have 107k miles already! Just had the timing belt done by Roberts Automotive, near Lancaster (did not trust any local dealers).

wv tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI
Not in PA but might as well be. 110 miles south of Pittsburgh right off I79. Follow the Steelers, Pirates but draw the line on pitt!

Leaving Thursday for FL just to see the shuttle launch on Friday evening. Should make it into GA before filling up the TDI.

callmestu

TDI
2000 Jetta TDi 120,000mi
keks said:
Looks like mine was made south of the Border
From my understanding, most of the cars we get in the US are made in mexico, engine and all. However, i'm pretty sure that NO TDI engine is made OUTSIDE if germany. that is- yes, your car is made in mexico, but the engine was made in germany.

am i right?

BTW, i'm new to this thread. i drive a burgundy TDI 2000 Jetta with a big ugly Thule roof rack on top (currently with two bike attachments.) i go all around the city and suburbs around 79 (up past grove city) down to south of 22. so i drive alot around that about 90degree spoke off the city. i also spend alot of time downtown. i drive all day for my job as a field worker, so many of you might be at work when i'm driving around, but look for me later in the day. i usually use JR from JR's water works in the Sewickley/cranberry area. he changed my timing belt recently (22,000mi) and i have had no problems with him at all, he fixed lots of other things for me as he specialized in VW but he got a TDi for his wife.

i am looking for some others that are working to change their TDi to veggie oil, as i have not converted my car yet, but have been working on it for two years now- haven't had the time finish. i hope to take the classes on diesel to SVO conversion offered at pgh's first conversion shop www.fossilfreefuel.com
hope to see yunz there!
Chris

Last edited: