View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2019, 05:17   #23
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

diesel WMO is black because it contains soot. Yes, you could be getting some deposits from the higher boiling point of the longer paraffin chains of vacuum distillates (lube oil base stock), but IMHO the big deal is that you will be gluing a lot of pure carbon (soot) into those deposits. Also, the additive package contains a lot of metallic compounds (especially zinc) that will make yet another deposit that the engine might no be so crazy about. You can not filter or centrifuge either of those out, just the big stuff.

I have run a lot of gensets on napthenic base stocks that are about 5 CSt @ 20C, and the ultimate limit seems to be carbon accumulation in exhaust side. Seem to scavenge well in combustion chamber. However, we have some very electronic engines on the farm that really do NOT like running anything but ULSD, so there are some definite limits to alternative fuels. BUT: that is no endorsement of WMO. I would want to see someone run a well known mix for many miles in any particular (all mechanical) engine and see a teardown for deposit characteristics before trying it in the very same engine (may 486's Ford/IHC IDI could be a test mule).

Of course, for literally junkyard engines, what have you got to loose? .... just as long as you tear down and report to us.
4L='15 Q7 TDI, B7='15TDI(buy back), B6='09 wagon gasser, A4=2003 TDI Variant, A3=Golf CL, A2=2x1.6 Jetta TDs, Golf Syncro Country, A1=Scirocco Mk1 & 16v, Audi 5000TD, 2014 I, Porsche 924/M471 and a bunch of diesel trucks.
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04259 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.49 Kb. compressed to 13.98 Kb. by saving 1.51 Kb. (9.74%)]